NBA Trade Deadline Thread 2021

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know he's a project but that's what Orlando was after, youngsters with potential. Ayton fits that bill but he wouldn't have brought back the same draft capital as Carter did.

I keep trying to process this statement. It seems grossly illogical to me so I feel like I must be misunderstanding you.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You should tweet at him to reveal his source. I mean seriously?
He says that LMA is going to look at multiple teams, BUT Miami is the frontrunner. I'm just wondering who such a source could be if this isn't just pure speculation.

But forget it, it's obviously upsetting people, so this will be the end of it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep trying to process this statement. It seems grossly illogical to me so I feel like I must be misunderstanding you.

I think I worded it wrong. Anyways, I meant that a deal swapping Ayton for Vucevic would not have included the quality of picks that the Carter for Vucevic deal did.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He says that LMA is going to look at multiple teams, BUT Miami is the frontrunner. I'm just wondering who such a source could be if this isn't just pure speculation.

But forget it, it's obviously upsetting people, so this will be the end of it.

I have no idea whether it's his opinion or if it's sourced but I do know that when Woj reports something early he's always right but he also speculates often and frequently misses by a mile. He's been saying that LAL is the leader for LMA for several days now but it's always sounded like conjecture so we'll see what happens.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I worded it wrong. Anyways, I meant that a deal swapping Ayton for Vucevic would not have included the quality of picks that the Carter for Vucevic deal did.

Gotcha. Makes more sense that way.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nobody would trade Ayton for Carter/Porter/two protected firsts.

Ayton a better asset than Vuc confirmed.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicks plan to waive Vincent Poirier.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody would trade Ayton for Carter/Porter/two protected firsts.

Ayton a better asset than Vuc confirmed.

I think you missed his point. He was removing the ambiguity of his earlier post which seemed to imply that Carter has more trade value than Ayton. So, he's saying, swap out Ayton for Carter in that deal and Orlando wouldn't have received the extra draft capital that they were in search of. At least, I think that's what he's saying.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you missed his point. He was removing the ambiguity of his earlier post which seemed to imply that Carter has more trade value than Ayton. So, he's saying, swap out Ayton for Carter in that deal and Orlando wouldn't have received the extra draft capital that they were in search of. At least, I think that's what he's saying.

Precisely.

Its also debatable whether Ayton has more or less value than Vucevic. It depends on what teams are looking for, youth or pieces to compete now. Salary is also a big part of things and Ayton is only locked in for 1 more year before he's a restricted free agent. I believe he's making roughly $12 million a year until then. Vucevic is making 27 million this year and next. So its really not as simple as claiming one of those two has more value than the other.

You can say Ayton has more value than Wendell Carter but I don't think that's a debate.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not an answer. Unless LMA tells him that directly, how does he know? It looks like LMA is going to meet with multiple teams, so it wouldn't come from him. Maybe his agent? "Hey Woj, LMA likes the nightlife in Miami."

Woj: Miami is the frontrunner!

probably talking to agents, other GMs who say they have or have not had contact with his agent. Or even scuttlebutt amongst players he’s friends with. I’m betting Woj has a myriad of different sources within the players and management ranks. He’s usually pretty on point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if Miami gets Aldridge, the only team I'm concerned about is Denver. Granted, Aaron Gordon is no Jeremi Grant, but Gordon and McGee together more than makes up for Grant's absence.

yeah. Those are two solid depth additions if nothing else.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Precisely.

Its also debatable whether Ayton has more or less value than Vucevic. It depends on what teams are looking for, youth or pieces to compete now. Salary is also a big part of things and Ayton is only locked in for 1 more year before he's a restricted free agent. I believe he's making roughly $12 million a year until then. Vucevic is making 27 million this year and next. So its really not as simple as claiming one of those two has more value than the other.

You can say Ayton has more value than Wendell Carter but I don't think that's a debate.

Agreed. Vucevic is the better player right now but unless you're looking at a very small window, Ayton is the better asset. And either one of them has far more value than WC jr.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
probably talking to agents, other GMs who say they have or have not had contact with his agent. Or even scuttlebutt amongst players he’s friends with. I’m betting Woj has a myriad of different sources within the players and management ranks. He’s usually pretty on point.
Thank you for that very reasonable response.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Drummond will not be listening to free agency pitches from the Suns.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It looks like Drummond will not be listening to free agency pitches from the Suns.

The hornets inclusion is interesting. Maybe the suns didn’t request a pitch?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the West, the Nuggets, Clippers and Mavericks were listed as winners in free agency.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hope the Suns are shopping for a big man but the comments I've heard from the Suns camp indicate they aren't.

Now if Nader is out for an extended period, that could change.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twenty-three teams made moves and the Lakers look to be active in the buyout market.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Gorgui Dieng is bought out, he is a player I would really like for the Suns.

Here is a list of some players who could be available.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nba-buyout-season-begins-best-195628689.html

yeah, I can't remember if I posted this the other day or just started writing it. I think he's a perfect fit off the bench. Without looking at the numbers I think they should play Frank more often as well, but I'm not ready to say who's minutes should be sacrificed to make that happen.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The reason he is interested in the Hornets is two fold - number one playing time - he will be there Number 1 center. Number 2 is money, he wants a fat next contract.

If you put yourself in his shoes going to Phoenix does not make any sense. He can go to the lakers for 1 year and get a bunch of playing time and a better chance at a ring. He can go to the Knicks or the Hornets, get a lot of playing time and possibly a new contract with both of those teams next year.

Phoenix will not give him much playing time, and cannot pay him in the future, and does not have the best chance of a ring as others offering him a job.

Why would he be interested in coming here?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo just tweeted Suns are not interested in Dieng. Big mistake if you ask me.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, I can't remember if I posted this the other day or just started writing it. I think he's a perfect fit off the bench. Without looking at the numbers I think they should play Frank more often as well, but I'm not ready to say who's minutes should be sacrificed to make that happen.

The Suns could certainly use Gorgui Dieng as a backup center. When the Suns play bigger teams especially in the playoffs they are going to need more big man depth. Saric can even play some power forward. I'm not sure why the Suns are not playing Kaminsky more. They will likely need to use him when fouls and injuries cause problems.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo just tweeted Suns are not interested in Dieng. Big mistake if you ask me.

It doesn't make sense for the Suns to put together a roster that looks close to contending only not to fill a glaring need for big man depth.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson