Suns @ Magic Wednesday game thread 3-24-2021

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Pay attention, I know it’s hard. It’s happened 9 of 14 times. The fact it keeps happening means we aren’t learning how to to stop it once teams start coming back. Do you understand now.
Your personal attack game is on point.

EVERY team comes back. We've done it ourselves in our wins. Why is that hard for you to understand that? The issue is losing to these poor teams, not specifically losing 10-point leads, which is NOTHING in the NBA. For ANY team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your personal attack game is on point.

EVERY team comes back. We've done it ourselves in our wins. Why is that hard for you to understand that? The issue is losing to these poor teams, not specifically losing 10-point leads, which is NOTHING in the NBA. For ANY team.

you feel like that is an attack on you?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Pay attention, I know it's hard." is absolutely an attack. I'm laughing at it because it's weak, but it is what it is.

I’m glad that you are laughing because I am to, but for a totally different reason.

hey guess we’re just built different that’s all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... blowing a game against one of the worst teams in the league, with it’s two best players knowing they likely had a foot out the door today just adds insult to injury.

and now we have to face Vucevic again in Chicago? Ugh. He did whatever he wanted to Ayton.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally agree. I think it’s important that all Suns fans maintain a very realistic view of this team, especially when it comes to the post-season.
Ayton is extremely inconsistent and of course, has zero playoff experience.
Bridges is still developing and though he has shown he can be a vital component of a winning team, he too can go missing for large parts of games and again, zero playoff experience.
Booker is incredible but again, no playoff experience.
Crowder and Paul are the only two starters with post season experience. And to your point, they certainly aren’t the “best” at their positions league-wide.

Our bench is proving to be adequate at best. Saric’s steady decline as of late is very concerning.

I wouldn’t be shocked if this team made the playoffs and couldn’t get past the first round...

Oh the writing is on the wall and if we do get bounced early we’re going to look back at these cheap losses and see this team never really had it

I hope I’m wrong

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Oh the writing is on the wall and if we do get bounced early we’re going to look back at these cheap losses and see this team never really had it

I hope I’m wrong

The Suns won't play a terrible team in the playoffs, so their poor performance against bottom-feeders isn't useful as a predictor of their postseason play. Maybe you mean that the cheap losses will cost them a better seed, which I agree is a risk. But if they draw Denver in the first round and get pummelled, it won't make sense to say that it was related to playing down to their opponents in the regular season.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh hard loss... especially with good start good learning experience

Still an amazing season no way i expected suns to be this good now

Hope suns rebound next game fingers crossed..

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges couldn’t get anything going despite 31 minutes on the floor. That was the difference.

Seems like every player on this team needs to be hitting on all cylinders or we end up having close games.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges couldn’t get anything going despite 31 minutes on the floor. That was the difference.

Seems like every player on this team needs to be hitting on all cylinders or we end up having close games.

Suns are like a sports car. When everything is working perfect, they are really good.

If something is off they struggle to beat even bad teams.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't that describe every contender?

Depends on the contender. Some teams are deeper than others and have more leeway. I must have watched 15 or so Golden State games that last run and it seemed like even if one of their starters wasn't playing well someone from the bench was or one of the other starters stepped up. The same can be said of probably many of the elite teams out there during their runs.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Depends on the contender. Some teams are deeper than others and have more leeway. I must have watched 15 or so Golden State games that last run and it seemed like even if one of their starters wasn't playing well someone from the bench was or one of the other starters stepped up. The same can be said of probably many of the elite teams out there.
PF notwithstanding, we are as deep a contender as any team. In fact, I would say we are significantly deeper than the Lakers, for example.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
PF notwithstanding, we are as deep a contender as any team. In fact, I would say we are significantly deeper than the Lakers, for example.

PF is a big piece of your front court. Plus, when you have someone like James on your team, you don't need less depth than say other teams at positions he impacts. That matters because you end up being able to focus more on other positions. Before CP3, Booker for example really didn't buy us anything spending so much time at point. It hurt us in so many other ways.

That's not to say I don't like our depth at some positions.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I disagree. Paul and Booker BOTH were off in the 4th. Mikal was off the whole game. Ayton was off in the 4th. If any of those things change, which I would say one of them is VERY LIKELY to occur at any given game, we win comfortably.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns are like a sports car. When everything is working perfect, they are really good.

If something is off they struggle to beat even bad teams.

The Suns have beat Utah, Philly, Milwaukee just to name a few without DA playing all that well.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Paul and Booker BOTH were off in the 4th. Mikal was off the whole game. Ayton was off in the 4th. If any of those things change, which I would say one of them is VERY LIKELY to occur at any given game, we win comfortably.

Most of those guys have off quarters from time to time. We seem to always be able to weather those storms. It's not that often that MB has 31 minutes on the court with stats like that. Sure any of those players could go off in any quarter but steady play has been a cornerstone it seems this year with certain players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have beat Utah, Philly, Milwaukee just to name a few without DA playing all that well.

I'm fine with Ayton but the Suns need improved depth behind him. Suns need more than Saric.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm fine with Ayton but the Suns need improved depth behind him. Suns need more than Saric.

Sure, I was just noting we have beat good teams without everyone playing well.

I also think Dario isn’t 100%, and would benefit from rest. He played really well in February and I don’t think he’s suddenly bad. Kinda like Kyler’s regression at the end of the Cardinals’ season: injuries matter, even if they don’t keep someone out.

As far as the West:
1. Utah stood pat. I think we have a good chance to beat them in a 7-game series, but I would prefer HCA.

2. Lakers stood pat. Health is all that matters, and that’s a big question for them now.

3. Clippers got a little worse imo. I don’t think Rondo is as effective as Lou. With Ayton so good as a drop big, the Clippers shooters will have less space.

4. Denver got a little better. Gordon pushes Millsap to the bench and gives the Jokic/MPJ front court some much needed help on defense. He should get better looks playing with Jokic, too. Sending Harris out gives them one less guy to defend Booker and Paul, though.

5. Portland got better (for now). Powell is a huge improvement over Trent/Hood. A Powell/Lillard/McCollum guard rotation is probably #1 in the league. I fear them a lot more now, and hope they go up against Denver in the 4-5 match-up.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I also think Dario isn’t 100%, and would benefit from rest. He played really well in February and I don’t think he’s suddenly bad. Kinda like Kyler’s regression at the end of the Cardinals’ season: injuries matter, even if they don’t keep someone out.

As far as the West:
1. Utah stood pat. I think we have a good chance to beat them in a 7-game series, but I would prefer HCA.

2. Lakers stood pat. Health is all that matters, and that’s a big question for them now.

3. Clippers got a little worse imo. I don’t think Rondo is as effective as Lou. With Ayton so good as a drop big, the Clippers shooters will have less space.

4. Denver got a little better. Gordon pushes Millsap to the bench and gives the Jokic/MPJ front court some much needed help on defense. He should get better looks playing with Jokic, too. Sending Harris out gives them one less guy to defend Booker and Paul, though.

5. Portland got better (for now). Powell is a huge improvement over Trent/Hood. A Powell/Lillard/McCollum guard rotation is probably #1 in the league. I fear them a lot more now, and hope they go up against Denver in the 4-5 match-up.

We agree Saric is not suddenly bad. I'm not sure what is wrong but his game seems off.

He looks like he can use some rest but the Suns only have Kaminsky that can play that role.

I do think Denver and Portland will be improved. The return of Nurkic alone helps the Trail Blazers.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Payne has been off a bit lately, too. If he is usual self we win yesterday as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

As far as the West:

Rondo is better for what the Clippers need. They have enough iso scorers.