Malcom Butler signed

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So you are saying that teams don't rank players on their draft board from 1-100 or whatever? That they don't assign a certain value to players based on what their scouts have graded them? They don't look at that board when they are on the clock and say we are taking this guy because he is who we consider the best player available for our team? I find that hard to believe.
They build their top 150 based upon what players fit their scheme and can make their roster. This is how they reduce a pool of 500 players to 150. Now this leaves them with a number of players clustered in terms of grades. Most teams build their boards both vertically and horizontally. They may only have 15 guys with first round grades depending on the draft class. If those 15 players are gone, they will try to trade back but if not, they will take a player at the top of their next tier.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm okay with it but not at all excited. I haven't had a very high opinion of Butler and feel he's been very overrated since that Super Bowl pick.

No, he just comes in unprepared the week of the Super Bowl so much that one of the greatest head coaches of all time benches him for the entirety of the game besides a special teams snap.

It can possibly be BPA, but it can also possibly not be. We don't want the team to have to pass over premiere talent that drops for wild reasons because we're desperate at a position.

BPA being a myth is the strangest take I've heard in a while. Of course it's adjusted for scheme and fit, but Byron Murphy doesn't suddenly become a better player than DeAndre Hopkins because of those factors. Sometimes someone is just clearly a better player regardless of positional need.
If people knew Deandre Hopkins was going to be what he is, he would not have lasted until pick 27.

People on this board act like we will draft Asante Samuel at 16 over Jamar Chase or Jaylen Waddle. We won't. Would we draft Greg Newsome II over Devonta Smith or Alijah Vera-Tucker...very likely.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If people knew Deandre Hopkins was going to be what he is, he would not have lasted until pick 27.

People on this board act like we will draft Asante Samuel at 16 over Jamar Chase or Jaylen Waddle. We won't. Would we draft Greg Newsome II over Devonta Smith or Alijah Vera-Tucker...very likely.
Yeah, which would probably turn out to be disappointing when Newsome turns out to be a league-average corner and Smith is the player that would have brought this offense to the next level, or AVT is the lynchpin of an offensive line for a decade plus.

OP
OP
juza76

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Samuel has a chance to become the best pro among cb's

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They build their top 150 based upon what players fit their scheme and can make their roster. This is how they reduce a pool of 500 players to 150. Now this leaves them with a number of players clustered in terms of grades. Most teams build their boards both vertically and horizontally. They may only have 15 guys with first round grades depending on the draft class. If those 15 players are gone, they will try to trade back but if not, they will take a player at the top of their next tier.

None of what you just said means teams don't have an internal BPA. Good teams don't reach for lesser players because of need--they either trade down to a position where they think players in that need position would be fairly valued or select the better player at a diff position at their original spot. They want perceived value (based on their own grades not the media--Kiper etc) so of course they select who they think is the top value, which some might consider the best player available.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a pretty simple statement, hoping we go BPA and are not FORCED to go CB. Forced being the key word. CB may indeed be the BPA for us, or maybe not. Not having to snap one up regardless because we're boxed in would be a nice feeling.

Yes, let's not go into the insane conversation about how you never draft a specific position in the first round (excepting ST players) :)
I think we all just have different opinions of what player would be “BPA”.

Some thought & still think Simmons was BPA while Chop, Brit, & I thought Wirfs or even Wills was BPA. It’s early, but early results are not promising in our favor. I will dead that horse, but just using that as an example.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, which would probably turn out to be disappointing when Newsome turns out to be a league-average corner and Smith is the player that would have brought this offense to the next level, or AVT is the lynchpin of an offensive line for a decade plus.
Or Newsome could be shutdown & Smith couldn’t beat the red flags or AVT becomes another typical overrated USC OL(I don’t think that’s gonna happen to either cause I love both a lot, but it’s definitely not anywhere close to the realm of possibility.)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As long as we are going to keep going with our senior citizen theme, I think the next corner we should sign is Xavior Rhodes.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is a great signing for value. I think we overestimate how great CBs need to be in a Philips 3-4 that Vance can actually run now that we have the horses up front.

At the same time, there are a lot of "ifs" related to what I just said and I am not comfortable with that at all.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Or Newsome could be shutdown & Smith couldn’t beat the red flags or AVT becomes another typical overrated USC OL(I don’t think that’s gonna happen to either cause I love both a lot, but it’s definitely not anywhere close to the realm of possibility.)
Of course that's part of the potential outcomes. Or the best CB in this class could be Ambry Thomas when we look back five years down the road.

To say anyone could be great is essentially to say "don't pay attention and just accept whoever the Cardinals draft." I just want the Cards to be able to pick the highest graded player on their board. I'll have less faith that they did so if they're picking from the leftovers in the bin.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose