NBA Trade Deadline Thread 2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rockets should have gone with LeVert and Allen.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns did not make a trade.

This is the first year in a long while where I am fine without seeing a trade made. Sure, it would have been nice to add a big of some sort but its been painfully obvious when looking at the roster and salary makeup of this team that a trade would require one of our top 8 players and those guys are more valuable to use than someone else. The chemistry on this team is one of its strengths.

Jalen Smith could have been dealt, if anyone was interested, but I haven't given up on him and doubt we could have received fair value in return.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pat Riley continues to retool that team despite it looking like they have little in terms of draft capital, or financial flexibility.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first year in a long while where I am fine without seeing a trade made. Sure, it would have been nice to add a big of some sort but its been painfully obvious when looking at the roster and salary makeup of this team that a trade would require one of our top 8 players and those guys are more valuable to use than someone else. The chemistry on this team is one of its strengths.

Jalen Smith could have been dealt, if anyone was interested, but I haven't given up on him and doubt we could have received fair value in return.

The reason I wanted the Suns to make a move is because they are close to contending. A backup center or power forward would have helped. The Suns created the two year window when they traded for Chris Paul. These opportunities do not come around very often.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just because it was discussed here doesn't mean its realistic. They just got a good young big in Carter and 2 likely lotto picks for him. Again, the Suns can't make salaries work unless they trade their only competent bigs in Ayton and Saric for him and they can't trade any 1sts until 2025, at the earliest. So it still doesn't make sense how you think we could have topped the Bulls offer while remaining a contending team.

But ill let you continue to think it if it makes you happy.
Being a Suns fan I know about Bust, Carter is a Bust. I believe The Bulls would argue about them being Lotto Picks. Have to wonder if Jones tried to get someone?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a Suns fan I know about Bust, Carter is a Bust. I believe The Bulls would argue about them being Lotto Picks. Have to wonder if Jones tried to get someone?

ESPN+ had an article listing young players who need a change of scenery and Carter was listed first. They talked up his potential and listed how he's under performed this year. He's still only 21 years old.

I know he's a project but that's what Orlando was after, youngsters with potential. Ayton fits that bill but he wouldn't have brought back the same draft capital as Carter did.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat are front runners for Aldridge.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I agree: they’d be trading all of his potential for a fraction of his current value. And it certainly doesn’t retroactively improve the pick. They liked him enough to take him, so I’d like to see him get a shot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Woj knows all. He is well connected with NBA sources.
That's not an answer. Unless LMA tells him that directly, how does he know? It looks like LMA is going to meet with multiple teams, so it wouldn't come from him. Maybe his agent? "Hey Woj, LMA likes the nightlife in Miami."

Woj: Miami is the frontrunner!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat expected to release Jabari Parker.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not an answer. Unless LMA tells him that directly, how does he know? It looks like LMA is going to meet with multiple teams, so it wouldn't come from him. Maybe his agent? "Hey Woj, LMA likes the nightlife in Miami."

Woj: Miami is the frontrunner!

Woj has a tremendous track record for being right. As I mentioned, he is well connected around the NBA.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Woj has a tremendous track record for being right. As I mentioned, he is well connected around the NBA.
Ok, fine. But how would he know? You're just throwing out the general "he just knows." He's not Gandalf, right? He's not a wizard.

And this could apply to any time he or Shams or anyone says, something is "expected."

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isn't it pretty much a given that the Lakers are getting Drummond?

I just heard it is down to Lakers or knicks. Knicks if he wants to try and get more money next year, Lakers if he is after a ring.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Miami gets a rejuvenated Alderidge, combined with Oladipo they seemingly have improved a bunch.

Bulls I think improved the most though. Getting Vucavic and Theis without giving up much at all.

Celtics got much better with addition of Fournier also - but trading away Theis was stupid.

In the West Portland may have gotten better - I'm not sure.

Denver probably improved the most with McGee and Gordon. Makes our shortage of bigs more glaring also.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If Miami gets a rejuvenated Alderidge, combined with Oladipo they seemingly have improved a bunch.

Bulls I think improved the most though. Getting Vucavic and Theis without giving up much at all.

Celtics got much better with addition of Fournier also - but trading away Theis was stupid.

In the West Portland may have gotten better - I'm not sure.

Denver probably improved the most with McGee and Gordon. Makes our shortage of bigs more glaring also.
Even if Miami gets Aldridge, the only team I'm concerned about is Denver. Granted, Aaron Gordon is no Jeremi Grant, but Gordon and McGee together more than makes up for Grant's absence.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting Nurkic back alone will help Portland if he can stay healthy.

And if Zach Collins returns before the end of the season, that will be a boost as well.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I agree with most of the forgoing opinions that a trade would likely have only been a speculative improvement for the Suns, given that they would have likely had to give up a rotation player to get anyone of value... and it's not certain that anyone who ended up being traded, aside from Vucevic and maybe Gordon, would have added anything. And those guys would not have been available without some considerable outlay.

However, pursuing either Aldridge or Drummond after buyouts is a no brainer. They each may opt for other teams, but the Suns need to kick the tires, at minimum.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poor Vucevic just does his job for years while politely waiting for a trade if one was there, and they send him to the Bulls!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ok, fine. But how would he know? You're just throwing out the general "he just knows." He's not Gandalf, right? He's not a wizard.

And this could apply to any time he or Shams or anyone says, something is "expected."

You should tweet at him to reveal his source. I mean seriously?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose