Malcom Butler signed

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Also why do you guys keep saying “hopefully we go BPA & not forced to go CB” like CB couldn’t possibly be BPA(& no I’m not talking about Horn & Surtain)? lol

This is reminiscent of the Wirfs vs Simmons talk
Agreed. Four CBs that I would be completely happy if we took even at 16.

OP
OP
juza76

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also why do you guys keep saying “hopefully we go BPA & not forced to go CB” like CB couldn’t possibly be BPA(& no I’m not talking about Horn & Surtain)? lol

Don't mix ilb with other key positions cause I know your thought
If u have a stud OL and Surtain newsome and horn are gone, u dont take him?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Its insurance for IF CB is not BPA. CB may NOT be BPA, we won't know until draft day.

OP
OP
juza76

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If all 4 CBs are gone by 16, you are trading back because you will need to draft multiple guys.

We need to draft multiple guys as well, cause we have many old players with just 1 year deals

WR Kirk Green 1 year under contract
OG winters pugh
OLB Jones1 Golden2 Kennard likely cut gardeck 1
CB butler alford 1 year

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
BPA doesn't really exist. Need and fit (scheme) are generally the two biggest determining draft factors.

Reaching for a position of need normally comes back to bite teams. Like the scenario you said earlier if the top 4 CBs are gone by 16 you don't draft the 5th best one even though he may have a second round grade because that is a need--you either draft the BPA (that fits another need position) or you trade down.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We need to draft multiple guys as well, cause we have many old players with just 1 year deals

WR
OG
OLB
CB
Pugh, Murray and Jones are all under contract next year so I don't think OG is going to be a priority when we have limited draft picks. I believe that is why we signed Winters and Garcia.

OLB is a "if the right player is available" option more than anything.

CB is a huge need.

WR...meh. Same as EDGE.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Reaching for a position of need normally comes back to bite teams. Like the scenario you said earlier if the top 4 CBs are gone by 16 you don't draft the 5th best one even though he may have a second round grade because that is a need--you either draft the BPA (that fits another need position) or you trade down.
Every team drafts for need and fit. Their grades are based upon fit into the scheme. They stack their board based upon need and fit. So, does the player fit our scheme and can he make our roster? BPA is a media creation to be able to rank players based upon every scheme and regardless of the composition of any team's roster.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Every team drafts for need and fit. Their grades are based upon fit into the scheme. They stack their board based upon need and fit. So, does the player fit our scheme and can he make our roster? BPA is a media creation to be able to rank players based upon every scheme and regardless of the composition of any team's roster.

So you are saying that teams don't rank players on their draft board from 1-100 or whatever? That they don't assign a certain value to players based on what their scouts have graded them? They don't look at that board when they are on the clock and say we are taking this guy because he is who we consider the best player available for our team? I find that hard to believe.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

It's a pretty simple statement, hoping we go BPA and are not FORCED to go CB. Forced being the key word. CB may indeed be the BPA for us, or maybe not. Not having to snap one up regardless because we're boxed in would be a nice feeling.

Yes, let's not go into the insane conversation about how you never draft a specific position in the first round (excepting ST players) :)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm okay with it but not at all excited. I haven't had a very high opinion of Butler and feel he's been very overrated since that Super Bowl pick.

Does Butler whiff on tackles? Takes plays off? Calls out his teammates if there is a missed assignment? Throws a temper tantrum if he doesn't get his way?

If no, to any of those questions, I will take a 40 yr old Butler (ok, maybe not that old) over Pat Pete any day :)
No, he just comes in unprepared the week of the Super Bowl so much that one of the greatest head coaches of all time benches him for the entirety of the game besides a special teams snap.

It can possibly be BPA, but it can also possibly not be. We don't want the team to have to pass over premiere talent that drops for wild reasons because we're desperate at a position.

BPA being a myth is the strangest take I've heard in a while. Of course it's adjusted for scheme and fit, but Byron Murphy doesn't suddenly become a better player than DeAndre Hopkins because of those factors. Sometimes someone is just clearly a better player regardless of positional need.