Steelers release CB Steven Nelson

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Field Yates

After being unable to find a trade involving him, the Steelers have released CB Steven Nelson. A solid coverage player now avaiable.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Nelson is a quality starting CB -- not a pro bowler, but a CB you can win with

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think it goes without saying that we should be making this move if we can.
wait I thought the sky was falling at the CB position? or do you mean to say there are still quality CBs available and we should let our GM work before we call for his head?

and I'll take your bet from the other thread - sorry to hear about the job, pandemic has been tough all around.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the Adoree Jackson and Kevin King money gives me pause on Nelson

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
wait I thought the sky was falling at the CB position? or do you mean to say there are still quality CBs available and we should let our GM work before we call for his head?

and I'll take your bet from the other thread - sorry to hear about the job, pandemic has been tough all around.
Steven Nelson wasn't available before a few minutes ago, so he didn't factor into the equation. But like @football karma said, he's solid, it's not like he's a foolproof solution yet. I don't think the other CBs are quality, and "letting our GM work" doesn't mean "hope and pray someone releases a quality player."

Let's also not count our chickens before they hatch - Fuller got released and looked like a great option, only to be immediately be snapped up by another team.

Thanks for the other stuff. Remind me about the bet later in the season, I forget this stuff sometimes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Tough to say “still” when this guy literally just became available.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You guys are gonna be real uncomfortable when we don’t sign him & double dip in the first two rounds at CB.
I'm not expecting to sign him at this point.

Although, I can't wait to see how uncomfortable you are when we draft Harris at 16, and Etienne at 49. :D

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
he just became available because we're only a week into free agency and teams are sorting things out. its early and plenty of time for GMs to fill holes.
It’s “early” from a time perspective, but not from a talent acquisition perspective. I think you’d agree that we are largely past the top flight FA talent acquisition stage. Probably anywhere from 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way through average FA talent acquisition phase. Do random cuts like this occur, sure. But (a) they’re usually rumored like this one and the fuller cut in advance, and we haven’t heard of any others really, have we? And (b) are you expecting a lot more of these? If so, why? There’s usually not volume cuts. There are the summer cuts, but those don’t typically produce high end talent. I remember years ago this board was always singing the praises of yet-to-occur cuts that we were poised to jump on that became never-occurred cuts or signings.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You guys are gonna be real uncomfortable when we don’t sign him & double dip in the first two rounds at CB.

LOL yep. It's going to suck, but it is what it is.

Even if we sign him, we still have a glaring hole at the other starting CB slot. I'd be much more comfortable with that situation entering the draft than having both slots unfilled, though.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
A trade would’ve been preferred. Methinks a 4th could’ve done it. I bet he signs withSF.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The common consensus is that he’ll be a good signing

Which means we’re not going to pursue him.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You can take this to the bank. We will not, not, not double dip for a CB in this year's draft. And, naturally I'm talking the first two rounds, since we don't have a third.

Last edited:

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
He is a good no.2 CB. He has never been a no.1 CB. That said, he is miles better than what we have right now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nelson is a CB2 though. A good one, but we would still need a CB1.