What Remains to Be Done

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think this roster is the reality of living with a cap. I think it’s fairly simple to pick any team and find a major hole. That was actually the intent of the cap: to prevent dynasties. Of course you can argue the Pats beat that strategy.

I think Keim is right; don’t panic. First we need to wait until we see where the team is when the season starts instead of rushing to judgment. There are still viable players available, through a variety of channels, to fill the holes.

Even with a moderate TE this offense should still be effective. This was not a position Kingsbury ever saw as crucial to his offense. A good blocker who can run short routes is all that’s needed. They are out there. Also don’t forget Arnold was a cut when acquired.

A high quality pass rush, while not a substitute for good corners, means the Cards’ D can survive with adequate corners. I expect one FA/trade acquisition and one draft choice. There is no question this will be the weakest defensive position. I do not, however, see this as a fatal flaw.

RB will not be a problem. The Cards need a complimentary back, not a Pro Bowl player. I think Drake was a mediocre back who benefit from playing on an offense that forced defenders to focus elsewhere. He lacked speed, so he couldn’t get the corner and seemed to forget the critical nature of hitting the hole quickly. The O-Line improvement will likely mean this unit gains as many yards this season as last through its RBs whether on the ground or in the air. This spot will likely be filled by a FA, though they will likely draft someone as well.

I know there is a great deal of sentiment for a speed receiver. I am not among those who believe Isabella will turn things around. I do expect Kirk to improve some, as he will no longer be covered by a top corner. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them spend the 5th or one of the 7ths on a speed receiver. They may yet pick up a historically underperforming speed guy. With 4 receiver sets, someone might blossom.

In the end I’m overall pleased with the changes made. I still believe games are mostly won in the trenches and the Cards are improved there both in talent and leadership.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I agree. I think Keim did alright and that’s mainly because Hudson fell in to his lap. But it was a pretty weak FA class. I was mad he didn’t get Linsley but Hudson filled the major need Linsley would’ve filled.

Losing Reddick and Arnold are not significant losses.

I do think the draft is pretty well laid out. They’re either taking a CB or Etienne/Harris in round 1.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, building the trenches is priority #1. We still need a bonafide NT though. IF alford can actually play for once, another player like him is likely good enough with a solid pass rush and solid run D.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thank you, Harry. You are becoming a voice of reason on this site. I am also very happy with the direction and moves that they made but still know that there are holes to be filled out especially at corner. Being a season ticket holder, (and having my coronavirus vaccines completed) I'm really looking forward to watch the Cards in person this year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I echo a lot of this. I am not worried about much on this roster with the exception of the overall age of it and our ability to successfully add young talent.

CB - You can argue every FA CB outside of William Jackson III are about 2 degrees from each other. There just isn't a huge gap between Jason Verrett and Casey Hayward. I won't be shocked to see Dre Kirkpatrick come back and while he was meh last year, if your pass rush is good enough that can be all that you need.

RB - Plenty of options available. I think it will be Mike Davis but the draft will have options and whomever it is will be a compliment to Chase. Chase will get his shot and he has earned it. Also a nice draft for RBs.

TE - Kliff came in wanting to run 10 personnel. Maybe with AJ Green and an upgraded OL, he is able to do so. Even if that is not the case, there are still many options available for the role that Arnold held. He had valuable production but it was very replaceable. Also, plenty of young TEs buried on depth charts who may be cut or available for trade.

Still a lot of WRs available.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Disagree. Every team has a hole or two; we have at least 5 gaping holes. CB1, CB2, ANY kind of decent speed receiver (shut up, AI!), TE, and RB. Those are all gaping holes at starting positions, without getting into depth and less gaping holes on this roster. Yes, you can plaster over a few cracks, but that's a lot of cracks for a terrible GM to plaster over with bargain-basement FAs and the draft. And we don't have the draft capital to swing that many trades.

And, for the love of Pete, the whole "X position is simple to just fill with a late-round pick" argument is nonsensical. If it were easy every team would do it and nobody would have holes at X position.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like to have another edge rusher added, Kerrigan is still available.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Disagree. Every team has a hole or two; we have at least 5 gaping holes. CB1, CB2, ANY kind of decent speed receiver (shut up, AI!), TE, and RB. Those are all gaping holes at starting positions, without getting into depth and less gaping holes on this roster. Yes, you can plaster over a few cracks, but that's a lot of cracks for a terrible GM to plaster over with bargain-basement FAs and the draft. And we don't have the draft capital to swing that many trades.

And, for the love of Pete, the whole "X position is simple to just fill with a late-round pick" argument is nonsensical. If it were easy every team would do it and nobody would have holes at X position.
A gaping hole is different than a backup/depth/competition and you are asserting that they are the same.

We have a gaping hole at CB. Starting role. No question.

We need to have another CB to compete with Alford and Murphy for the #2/3/4 CB spots. Not a gaping hole.

We need to add a 2nd RB to backup Chase. Whatever you think of him, Chase is getting a shot at the starting RB role. So, we need a backup, but not a gaping hole.

Maxx Williams is our starting TE. We need a backup. Dan Arnold played 469 snaps in that role. A need but not a gaping hole.

Speed WR is your preference and that role occupied by Isabella last year played 306 snaps. Not a gaping hole.

So, outside of your overstating the roles, here are the roles that need to be filled.

Starting CB - 1,096 snaps.

Complimentary CB - 750 snaps (Alford or someone else. I excluded Murphy's role as it is similar)

Backup TE - 469 snaps (Dan Arnold's role)

Backup RB - 525 snaps (Edmonds snaps last year)

Speed WR (4th WR essentially) - 306 snaps

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would like to have another edge rusher added, Kerrigan is still available.
Just looking at the players and the draft, some combination of CB/EDGE would work for me. My guess is that it will end up being CB/WR.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Amen.

CB is way more dire than people are giving it credit for, and I'm not completely sold on having a dominant pass rush on account of Watt and CJ's age. I know we're going to end up with a rookie, but I'm worried about mental gaffes and experience. Top guys like Farley and Newsome have such little experience that we're really going to have to deal with some rocky times if they're the pick. Farley hasn't even played football since 2019, will miss rookie minicamps, and didn't play CB in high school. Newsome's played 17 games in his career at his position.

I can't trust Edmonds enough to be okay with a "complementary back" like Mike Davis to take up the backfield. All credit to the yeoman's work Davis did for my fantasy teams this year, but he's not really capable of all that much, which is why he's been cut by multiple teams.

I can buy that TE doesn't need a superstar, but we've lost a weapon Kyler liked, and a 5th rounder/7th rounder/Trey Burton is the best we're getting.

Of course teams have to settle at certain positions, and there's areas everyone would like to improve upon, but these spots are currently complete voids, and RB/CB are some of the most impactful positions in the game.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
A gaping hole is different than a backup/depth/competition and you are asserting that they are the same.

We need to have another CB to compete with Alford and Murphy for the #2/3/4 CB spots. Not a gaping hole.

We need to add a 2nd RB to backup Chase. Whatever you think of him, Chase is getting a shot at the starting RB role. So, we need a backup, but not a gaping hole.

Maxx Williams is our starting TE. We need a backup. Dan Arnold played 469 snaps in that role. A need but not a gaping hole.

Speed WR is your preference and that role occupied by Isabella last year played 306 snaps. Not a gaping hole.

So, outside of your overstating the roles, here are the roles that need to be filled.

Complimentary CB - 750 snaps (Alford or someone else. I excluded Murphy's role as it is similar)

I consider Alford as completely unreliable to expect to play due to injury/rust/age, so I don't include him at all. That's why I mark it as two CB holes, hard H. Murphy isn't playing outside as our #1 or #2 CB, he's in the slot, and it's been clearly stated, so we need a #1 and #2 outside CB in my book, and have none of starting caliber on the roster.

I don't have any sound clips of Keim or Kliff handing Chase the starting job yet. Even if they did, I have to consider him part of a hole. His work in the starting role in the four games he's been handed that duty has been pathetic. 2/4 outings didn't even net 10 yards.

TE is a little different than backup/depth/competition due to how often Kliff found success with the two-TE set in his first year. I think we need someone at least adequate to be out there and not just a warm body.

Speed WR is a whole different argument about how the offense should run or whatever... I don't anticipate this being fixed high in the draft, maybe some small school flyer in the later rounds/UDFA as competition.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

CB1 can be described as a "gaping hole" but the rest, euphemistically, are dips in the ground, shallow craters.

We have players under contract in each of these other positions and, yes, we have FA, trades, a draft and it's March 22.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

If you don’t consider Alford, Maxx, Isabella as gaping holes you’re just settling for keims ineptitude. a warm body doesn’t mean they should be relied on for the role, and that’s your premise in making those claims.

I don’t believe chase is a legitimate starter quality back. His history as such kinda supports that conclusion. Someone put it well when they said it felt like the other small guy (mind just went blank) we rolled out as starter. But at least this statement has a colorable argument.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Great post @Harry.

I think the difference in Kirkpatrick and Peterson and two vets that could be added cheaply is quite minimal. Peterson gave up a mid 90s QB rating and Kirkpatrick like 115 QB rating or something like. And this team was a few bounces away from the playoffs. Watt significantly improves the front seven; he had as many hurries and sacks as the top three Cardinals defensive linemen combined. Golden isn't a huge drop off from Reddick; he may not produce the sack numbers, but he will produce hurries.

Hudson is the best center the Cardinals have likely had since they moved to Arizona. Say that phrase, and you will understand the kind of impact that Hudson can have. The offensive line should be markedly better, especially since the team will have continuity in 3/5 positions, a huge upgrade at 1, and a healthy competition with 3-4 candidates at the other guard spot. There is also depth a plenty here. Last seasons offensive line was actually one of the better lines the Cardinals have fielded since they have been in Arizona.

I agree, the game is still won in the trenches.

Can AJ Green post better numbers than Fitzgerald did last year, because that is essentially the spot he has taken. I think he can, and I think he can actually win outside the numbers, which was a big hole on the Cardinals last year, having someone else other than Hopkins who can. The Cardinals can now move Kirk in the slot and he still has deep speed. Add another young guy or maybe one of the UDFAs from last year step up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Great post @Harry.

I think the difference in Kirkpatrick and Peterson and two vets that could be added cheaply is quite minimal. Peterson gave up a mid 90s QB rating and Kirkpatrick like 115 QB rating or something like. And this team was a few bounces away from the playoffs. Watt significantly improves the front seven; he had as many hurries and sacks as the top three Cardinals defensive linemen combined. Golden isn't a huge drop off from Reddick; he may not produce the sack numbers, but he will produce hurries.

Hudson is the best center the Cardinals have likely had since they moved to Arizona. Say that phrase, and you will understand the kind of impact that Hudson can have. The offensive line should be markedly better, especially since the team will have continuity in 3/5 positions, a huge upgrade at 1, and a healthy competition with 3-4 candidates at the other guard spot. There is also depth a plenty here. Last seasons offensive line was actually one of the better lines the Cardinals have fielded since they have been in Arizona.

I agree, the game is still won in the trenches.

Can AJ Green post better numbers than Fitzgerald did last year, because that is essentially the spot he has taken. I think he can, and I think he can actually win outside the numbers, which was a big hole on the Cardinals last year, having someone else other than Hopkins who can. The Cardinals can now move Kirk in the slot and he still has deep speed. Add another young guy or maybe one of the UDFAs from last year step up.
I pray all you keim kool aid drinkers are right. I have zero faith in history and everything this offseason seems like desperately inflated keim.

Reaction score
I do think the draft is pretty well laid out. They’re either taking a CB or Etienne/Harris in round 1.
I come to the same conclusion; at this point; with the caveat that things could still change prior to draft day. I only hope they don't bank on getting one of those RB's in round two and end up with nobody!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

A lot of this reads like you're just trolling. Speed WR isn't my preference; everyone, from fans to experts, noted how the lack of an effective speed option killed our offense. We ALL know AI isn't that guy. Don't be purposefully obtuse.

Maxx "I'll play 1/1000 of the snaps" Williams is our starting TE? Yippee! Sorry, the hyperbole is payback for listing AI as anything but garbage :) I will concede that this is bottom in priority out of the five because we don't use TEs as much. It does make the speed WR problem loom larger, though.

Chase Edmonds? Starting RB? I don't hate the kid, but I would like to make the playoffs. If you want to be Jets level, sure, you bank on Chase Edmonds to be "the guy." Otherwise, you consider starting RB a hole.

Neither Alford nor Murphy are CB2s. Just chuck Alford right on out of the conversation. Nobody's dumb enough to count on him for a starting spot. Murphy? He should get significant playing time, but not on the outside. Though CB2 isn't as big a hole as CB1, it's still sizeable.

I mean, unless you're Steve Keim's intern/PR spin jockey, and you want AI, an always-injured TE, Alford, and Chase Edmonds to start for a team trying to make the playoffs, yeah, we still have plenty of big holes on this roster--at starting spots--that need filled.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As much as Peterson gets slammed here, he was twice as good as kirkpatrick was.

If you make someone the quality of Kirkpatrick our number 1, we will easily have the worst pass D in the league.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the angst regarding the TE spot. Maxx Williams has performed well when healthy. We do need to add more to that room but the TE position is not heavily featured.

CB I completley understand the frustration. We are going to need to add a starting calibur player either through trade or a FA.