Keim press conference is coming up on youtube

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would not be in a position we are in with no outside CB, RB and TE positions. You are defending the guy and keep asking everyone what they would do. Please enlighten us on his plan and be specific. We obviously can't figure out what he is doing.

Then maybe just wait and see is a thought worth contemplating.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Being a nearly full time position doesn't take away that most teams' best receivers don't line up there still. We spent a premium pick to try to take away players who are the 2nd or 3rd best receiver on the team, while having no ability to cover the enormous guys on the outside who just absolutely take over games.

I watched no. 1 wideouts break inside and leave PP21 in their wake. A slot CB is not simply locked to a particular receiver and if inside is the weakness that's where the"O" will go. And we selected Murphy to meet a need when we had a more than adequate PP21.

The answer is not to lament having Murphy in his role but find 1,2 outside CBs.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unless 60% suddenly has become the equivalent to 100%, a slot CB is about 40% less than a full time position.

Yes, I am also aware that he was projected as a CB who could play in the slot. However, when you take a player in the top 45 of a draft it is implied you are taking him because he is able to grow into something more than a sub-package role. Especially when you as the team drafting him state you had a first round grade on him.

You're simply ignoring why he was drafted. The days of your weakest CB plays inside are long gone.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then maybe just wait and see is a thought worth contemplating.

So you defend him but you really don't know what he is doing either. You are comfortable with the holes we have and 5 draft picks? 3 of them round 5 and later.

For the record I would have been fine with Varrett, Rhodes, Butler and even Dunbar signing at CB. Would settle for a Mike Davis at RB. Don't like the Green signing at all. Wanted Samuel. Green is not a # 2 WR at this stage in his career.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You're simply ignoring why he was drafted. The days of your weakest CB plays inside are long gone.
No. In fact, it is probably you who is ignoring why he was drafted. He was drafted because he was viewed as he best CB coming out by the Cardinals and he had the ability to play inside which is something that Patrick Peterson could not do. He was drafted so the Cardinals could put a top level CB in the slot when teams had WRs Peterson would not match up well with. He was never viewed or drafted to only play in the slot and sit on the bench on base defense.

You are also trying to move away from your ridiculous assertion that a slot CB is practically a full time position which it of course plainly isn't.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I watched no. 1 wideouts break inside and leave PP21 in their wake. A slot CB is not simply locked to a particular receiver and if inside is the weakness that's where the"O" will go. And we selected Murphy to meet a need when we had a more than adequate PP21.

Yeah, right, easy peasy.

Sorry, I forgot. We should all stop typing, leave the board a ghost town, and wait 6 months before forming any opinions. On a message board.

Steve, is that you?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

My point is that we paid a premium for Murphy to do something that maybe 50% of the time is a problem (taking a rough number from how often teams come out in a 3 WR setup and how often that inside player is genuinely the biggest threat on the field).

90% of the league's best players line up on the outside, and we spent nearly a 1st round pick on a guy who isn't capable of locking them down. If Byron Murphy were a late 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder, I wouldn't be having this talk.

Look at our division. Here's their slot guys:

SF: Kendrick Bourne (only 31% with Pats but that's the highest of the top 3, Aiyuk and Deebo are under 15%)
SEA: Tyler Lockett (54%)
LAR: Cooper Kupp (55%)

I know Lockett and Kupp are threats on those teams, but they're still the #2 options, and they're not even sitting in the slot much more than 50% of the time. Lockett especially is also great as an outside burner. The investment in a guy to shut these people down while DK Metcalf, Robert Woods, and the SF duo run roughshod on the outside is a mistake this franchise will pay for in 2021.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is correct. My bad! Hopefully a trade down in the 1st or 2nd round nets us a 3 or a 4 to address the TE position! Fingers crossed. #InKeimWeTrust
No worries man. It's hard for me sometimes to remember what picks were traded. Had to remind myself we don't have a 6th because we traded it for Golden.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No. In fact, it is probably you who is ignoring why he was drafted. He was drafted because he was viewed as he best CB coming out by the Cardinals and he had the ability to play inside which is something that Patrick Peterson could not do. He was drafted so the Cardinals could put a top level CB in the slot when teams had WRs Peterson would not match up well with. He was never viewed or drafted to only play in the slot and sit on the bench on base defense.

You are also trying to move away from your ridiculous assertion that a slot CB is practically a full time position which it of course plainly isn't.

You were doing fine right up to "he was never viewed" which is simply an assertion unsupported by what was written at the time.

The traditional Base Defence, as you describe, averaged 25% of snaps over the past 3 seasons. In fact, the true base in today's game is Nickel averaging close to 60% to which we can add Dime at 15%.

So much for my being ridiculous.

Byron Murphy 2020

Defence: 705 snaps: 71.69%*
S-teams: 86 snaps: 19.46

*It would be higher but for a return after Covid and snaps down against two primary running offences.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurpBy00/fantasy/2020

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, right, easy peasy.

Sorry, I forgot. We should all stop typing, leave the board a ghost town, and wait 6 months before forming any opinions. On a message board.

Steve, is that you?

Don't stop typing, I enjoy a swirling dervish. ;)

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, a gm should be proactive and know what his plan is months, and even years ahead of time and adjust accordingly. Are you suggesting keim didn’t know the contractual facts and circumstances of his team?
Ouchie, I think you’re being a little harsh on Keim. He’s only had3 year to prepare for the day Pp21 left.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With big holes at CB, I think SK has backed himself into a corner. Remaining CBs on the market are uninspiring and are a stop gap at best. Therefore everybody in the league knows the Cards will take a CB round one and will most certainly trade down to get back another pick before round four considering the utter lack of draft picks. Would not be shocked if we go CB, CB with first two picks.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
My point is that we paid a premium for Murphy to do something that maybe 50% of the time is a problem (taking a rough number from how often teams come out in a 3 WR setup and how often that inside player is genuinely the biggest threat on the field).

90% of the league's best players line up on the outside, and we spent nearly a 1st round pick on a guy who isn't capable of locking them down. If Byron Murphy were a late 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder, I wouldn't be having this talk.

Look at our division. Here's their slot guys:

SF: Kendrick Bourne (only 31% with Pats but that's the highest of the top 3, Aiyuk and Deebo are under 15%)
SEA: Tyler Lockett (54%)
LAR: Cooper Kupp (55%)

I know Lockett and Kupp are threats on those teams, but they're still the #2 options, and they're not even sitting in the slot much more than 50% of the time. Lockett especially is also great as an outside burner. The investment in a guy to shut these people down while DK Metcalf, Robert Woods, and the SF duo run roughshod on the outside is a mistake this franchise will pay for in 2021.

this cracks me up. Murphy was drafted to play the slot.... he was billed as a slot guy and that’s what he is... he is even decent at it....

Steve Keira draft record suxx ass. Dude hits on less than 25% of his picks in any round...

so maybe Murphy was drafted a few picks too early.... or even an entire round.... big freaking deal.... Keon hit on the pick.... he spent a second round pick and got a guy who plays a lot of snaps every week and is worthy of signing to a second contract.... that’s a win... with that ******** fat bastard drafting we are lucky to even get a guy who makes the final roster...

but you wanna bitch because he picked a decent player a bit too soon?

rediculous

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lol, how’s the Cardinals regular season record treating us since 1989?
Did you mean 1889? Have to admit I'm more concerned in the history of the Cardinals since we got a stadium. But if you want to go back a century or two, I'm guessing you like the Washington model. Win the offseason since it's eight months, and the RS is only four months. Good marketing, bad football.

Stout

Reaction score
Did you mean 1889? Have to admit I'm more concerned in the history of the Cardinals since we got a stadium. But if you want to go back a century or two, I'm guessing you like the Washington model. Win the offseason since it's eight months, and the RS is only four months. Good marketing, bad football.

How about bad marketing and bad football. That's been the Cardinal way lol

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When is it time to "panic"? draft day? training camp? the opening game? Not being prepared is ridiculous. The team will be forced to draft a CB early--and probably 2 of them, maybe luck will shine on them and CB will happen to be BPA when we are on the clock but I doubt it.
Now is a good time for you to panic. Why don't you strip nude, set your hair on fire, and run down the highway yelling bloody murder? That should get you on the evening news. My God, it's just a game.

Stout

Reaction score
Now is a good time for you to panic. Why don't you strip nude, set your hair on fire, and run down the highway yelling bloody murder? That should get you on the evening news. My God, it's just a game.

And it's just a message board. But message board police try to regulate how posters react. If you aren't part of the sunshine and daisies brigade, look out! The message board police will come for you in the deep dark when the other posters are asleep :)

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
When is it time to "panic"? draft day? training camp? the opening game? Not being prepared is ridiculous. The team will be forced to draft a CB early--and probably 2 of them, maybe luck will shine on them and CB will happen to be BPA when we are on the clock but I doubt it.

Right after the close of the trading period in the 2021 season.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
What an absolute chump. I've got this team and Newcastle United giving me a freaking migraine.

You need to switch to the Norwich City Canaries standing firmly in first place in the first division and heading back to the premier league next season.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
this cracks me up. Murphy was drafted to play the slot.... he was billed as a slot guy and that’s what he is... he is even decent at it....

Steve Keira draft record suxx ass. Dude hits on less than 25% of his picks in any round...

so maybe Murphy was drafted a few picks too early.... or even an entire round.... big ******* deal.... Keon hit on the pick.... he spent a second round pick and got a guy who plays a lot of snaps every week and is worthy of signing to a second contract.... that’s a win... with that ******** fat bastard drafting we are lucky to even get a guy who makes the final roster...

but you wanna bitch because he picked a decent player a bit too soon?

rediculous
I'm supposed to be excited about a "decent" player at 33? If anything, you can chalk him up as another Keim mistake. Yes, I'm mad we drafted someone billed as a slot CB that high. If they thought he could only play the slot, he shouldn't have been that high on their draft board. What impact has Byron Murphy had in any games that you can remember? This is a guy with one career interception.

Edit: Early morning error in this deleted section, I was comparing Murphy's 2019 to 2020 stats for other players. Need coffee.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be excited about a "decent" player at 33? If anything, you can chalk him up as another Keim mistake. Yes, I'm mad we drafted someone billed as a slot CB that high. If they thought he could only play the slot, he shouldn't have been that high on their draft board. What impact has Byron Murphy had in any games that you can remember? This is a guy with one career interception.

In fact, looking at Byron's stats, it's even worse than I thought. For all of the talk about how bad Peterson and Kirkpatrick were, did everyone know he put up worse numbers than the duo? A higher passer rating of 111.2. 754 passing yards. 9 TDs. A 69.6% completion rate.
I think Murphy can be a great safety, don't know why isn't tried there, as a slot corner he doesn't have the ideal quickness and on the outside is a liability
When he clearly see the action from the backfield he has nose for the ball but when he turns his back covering the receiver he doesn't have the speed to be effective and can't anticipate the play

Stout

Reaction score
You need to switch to the Norwich City Canaries standing firmly in first place in the first division and heading back to the premier league next season.

I don't want a yo-yo team! Then again, that's pretty much what Newcastle are right now. Although, this time, I doubt they come right back up.

:hijack:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson