The state of the roster

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The fact that some want to cut Pugh is damn near insane to me.

Yeah, I don't understand it at all. Our O line is finally solid across the board (assuming one of our swing guys can play RG at a decent level, but let's be honest ANYBODY will be better than Sweezy) and we want to cut Pugh? We should probably extend him to create cap space, not cut him. Kyler needs interior protection more than he needs edge protection. We don't want to be experimenting at LG. Pugh and Hudson will be excellent. Hopefully Jones can kick inside and be a monster RG.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that some want to cut Pugh is damn near insane to me.

I don't really want to cut him - but if the choice is have a subpar CB starting, or a subpar guard vs an average guard(Pugh), I will take the subpar guard and Average CB because a bad corner hurts your chances of winning way more than a subpar guard will.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cut Kennard, trade down and recoup a two or three. Getting back into having 3 picks before the fourth round is a must.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't really want to cut him - but if the choice is have a subpar CB starting, or a subpar guard vs an average guard(Pugh), I will take the subpar guard and Average CB because a bad corner hurts your chances of winning way more than a subpar guard will.

Tell that to KM, I'm sure he'd have a colourful response.

Let me introduce you to two bad corners:

Arizona had veterans Patrick Peterson and Dre Kirkpatrick manning the outside spots, and each put together one of the worst seasons of their careers. Peterson ranked 83rd among 121 qualifying cornerbacks in coverage grade (53.1), and Kirkpatrick slotted in at 107th (46.1).

* I'm thinking that someway, somehow we'll do better than that in 2021 without sacrificing a key cog on our O-line.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Tell that to KM, I'm sure he'd have a colourful response.

Let me introduce you to two bad corners:

Arizona had veterans Patrick Peterson and Dre Kirkpatrick manning the outside spots, and each put together one of the worst seasons of their careers. Peterson ranked 83rd among 121 qualifying cornerbacks in coverage grade (53.1), and Kirkpatrick slotted in at 107th (46.1).

* I'm thinking that someway, somehow we'll do better than that in 2021 without sacrificing a key cog on our O-line.
I sure don't. Not with what's left.

Reactions: PJ1

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think a couple UDFA's could do better, honestly. At least they would work their ass off, unlike PP who would just stand there and watch instead of making a tackle.

Also, people seem to forget Chandler didn't even play last year. Our D line and QB pressure will be much improved over last year with the addition of Watt and a healthy Jones.

I have a feeling they're not even going to bother getting a legit corner. They're going to play contain on the back end while the front end attacks the QB. Which obviously requires corners and safeties who can tackle and I believe that's why they let PP walk.

Not saying I agree with it, but no football team is complete. Some are more complete than others.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
I'm not optimistic at this point, but we'll see what happens. Right now I think we have too many weaknesses to win a playoff game, if we even make the playoffs, including at CB, LB, WR, RB and TE.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Options still open to us that I think would be a good fit

Running back

Mike Davis
Tevin Coleman
Jeff Wilson
Lev Bell (We have his Steelers RB coach on staff and as we are assembling the 2015 Avengers he fits)
Duke Johnson
Wayne Gallman
Todd Gurley

Cornerback

Kyle Fuller
Adoree Jackson
Xavier Rhodes
Casey Hayward
Quinton Dunbar
Richard Sherman
AJ Bouye
Baushad Breeland

Tight End

Trey Burton
Tyler Eifert
Jesse james
Darren Fells

OLB (Still think we can do better and can't rely on Gardeck being back)

Kyler Fackrell
Ryan Kerrigan
Jeremiah Attaochu
Tarell Basham
Kamalei Correa

To be honest at CB and running back there are more guys available that probably required at the moment. I think Keim is waiting to shop in the bargain bins.

Add Jordan Reed to this list. He would be a nice TE addition.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
curious if NFL wide, both GMs and guys remaining are going to wait post draft

most guys remaining are being offered / taking 1 year deals

if that is your situation, you dont want to sign a 1 year deal hoping to establish value, only to see your team take a 1st or 2nd rounder at your position

for GMs, waiting post draft (iirc) gets those signings outside the comp pick formula

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Its not like the TE market is full of options. Reed is the most talented available.

Reed is good when available which is the problem with him. He has played in 75 of a possible 112 games meaning he's missed 37 games or an average of 5 games a season. That is a third of a season on average.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Read an article on Revenge of the Birds that kind of makes sense because it has happened before. The year we lost CC and others, Keim's plan was to save money and accrue comp picks for the next year. This offseason is almost eerily similar.

The article speculates that Keim will sign a couple of lower level UFA CB's in order to make sure he doesn't tip comp picks in the negative direction. Fuller is off the board and not sure Jackson makes it out of PHI meeting still looking for a team.

The only thing that would make sense if trading for either Nelson or Gilmore and using 1st rounder on a CB.

I'm thinking ARZ fills Sweezy's spot with either Jones or Cole, Cole would make more sense as Jones should remain at OT as he could possibly unseat Beachum as starting RT.

Golden, Gardeck and Kennard are going to fill the vacancy created by Reddick's departure.

Again, I am not okay with the above just speculating that is what is going to happen the remainder of offseason.

To recap I think Keim:
1. Signs low level FA CB's (not trade for Gilmore / Jackson / Nelson).
2. Replaces Sweezy in house.
3. Replaces Reddick in house.
4. Drafts CB, WR, RB in draft.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Read an article on Revenge of the Birds that kind of makes sense because it has happened before. The year we lost CC and others, Keim's plan was to save money and accrue comp picks for the next year. This offseason is almost eerily similar.

The article speculates that Keim will sign a couple of lower level UFA CB's in order to make sure he doesn't tip comp picks in the negative direction. Fuller is off the board and not sure Jackson makes it out of PHI meeting still looking for a team.

The only thing that would make sense if trading for either Nelson or Gilmore and using 1st rounder on a CB.

I'm thinking ARZ fills Sweezy's spot with either Jones or Cole, Cole would make more sense as Jones should remain at OT as he could possibly unseat Beachum as starting RT.

Golden, Gardeck and Kennard are going to fill the vacancy created by Reddick's departure.

Again, I am not okay with the above just speculating that is what is going to happen the remainder of offseason.

To recap I think Keim:

I know it's not your plan, so I'm not bagging on you, but that would be :barf:worthy. That would be absolutely moronic. If Cole is anywhere near starting on the IOL, we've already surrendered the season. CB is the 2nd-most important position on defense, so of course Keim would criminally ignore it like this. And all of this offseason angst is forgetting that KK is still our coach. Ugh.

OTOH, this was a nice, and I think accurate, write-up, @overseascardfan

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Bold strategy going into the season with Alford and Murphy as your two top corners. Really would’ve rather not signed AJ Green and used that $$$ for a CB.

Would've left us criminally thin at WR, but signing AJ Green still leaves us criminally thin at that position, so yeah. Agreed.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reed is good when available which is the problem with him. He has played in 75 of a possible 112 games meaning he's missed 37 games or an average of 5 games a season. That is a third of a season on average.

Can he play more than none existant tight ends though?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

To recap I think Keim:

Why? So we can draft more Hakeem Butlers, Dorian Johnson's and Evan Boehm's?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose