Free Agency Rumors

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Farley is the only CB that I value as top 16 prospect. Doubt he falls, so all other CB’s would be a reaching without trading back IMO

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like Ouchie said, the probability begins to go down. I have no idea why you're trying to spin this into a positive. Reaching isn't a good thing, it means you've been caught flat footed and are hoping you get lucky. "Hope and pray" is not a winning strategy.
I mean, it’s reality.

It’s been reality.

Look at all the 1st CBs taken since 2017. None of them have been close to being the best CB in their class. Not even 2nd best.

Okudah was the 1st CB taken & went top 3, yet, looked like utter dogcrap compared to pretty much every other 1st & 2nd round CB after him in their rookie years.

It’s cliche, but it truly depends on scheme. Asante Samuel Jr is arguably the best press-man CB in the class despite being a projected 2nd round pick. If he gets drafted by a team that runs heavy press(like us), he’ll flourish. Where as, Surtain could get drafted by Denver & I see that as a potential bust due to Surtain not being twitchy enough for the scheme Vic Fangio runs. I don’t think PP would have had the accolades he has if he went to a dominate zone scheme cause that’s not his strength.

CB is more scheme dependent than any other position in the league imo.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Can't wait to reach for 2nd round talent at 1st round prices because two teams traded in front of us to take Surtain and Farley.

Brother there are some really good corners after those two.

Horn and Newsome should go round one too.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

The best two corners we’ve had in a decade plus have been DRC and PP21. Both started out being the third option and worked their way up. The last corner we drafted high, Murphy, seems to really struggle with consistency, and much of it is because he was thrown to the wolves with Alford’s injuries. I really don’t want a Round 1 CB to have the same fate.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best two corners we’ve had in a decade plus have been DRC and PP21. Both started out being the third option and worked their way up. The last corner we drafted high, Murphy, seems to really struggle with consistency, and much of it is because he was thrown to the wolves with Alford’s injuries. I really don’t want a Round 1 CB to have the same fate.

DRC was very good as a rookie and it only took 5 games for him to claim the starting job, where he ended his rookie year with 4 picks and 19 passes defended. Peterson was nowhere near as good his rookie year though he started 16/16 games.

it’s a crapshoot with any position but the one thing that definitely will help a rookie CB is a ferocious pass rush. The Bucs were proof of that last season.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Sorry if I'm not thrilled at the prospect of the 3rd or 4th best corner in the draft being our unquestioned #1. I'm not even comfortable with Surtain being that, and I think he's the best corner in the draft.

We're supposed to be winning now in the third year of Kyler's rookie deal, and teams don't win now with rookie CBs.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
DRC was very good as a rookie and it only took 5 games for him to claim the starting job, where he ended his rookie year with 4 picks and 19 passes defended. Peterson was nowhere near as good his rookie year though he started 16/16 games.

it’s a crapshoot with any position but the one thing that definitely will help a rookie CB is a ferocious pass rush. The Bucs were proof of that last season.

You still don’t want a young corner’s confidence shaken early when the pass rush doesn’t get home. I’ve seen a lot of that with Murphy where he frankly looks unprepared in the moment. It’s such a hard position to learn out of the gates, especially in Vance’s system, where DBs still look at each other after blown assignments and finger-point.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

I heard Deangelo Hall on NFLN yesterday saying when he got older and lost a step, he'd go to management and ask for pass rush help because he needed it to keep playing at a high level. Good thing is, the Cards have a potentially great pass rush next year with Jones, Watt, Golden, and maybe Reddick. Don't discount Simmons as a pass rusher either.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I heard Deangelo Hall on NFLN yesterday saying when he got older and lost a step, he'd go to management and ask for pass rush help because he needed it to keep playing at a high level. Good thing is, the Cards have a potentially great pass rush next year with Jones, Watt, Golden, and maybe Reddick. Don't discount Simmons as a pass rusher either.

Even with a great pass rush, you need better than hot garbage at the position. Or, you know, at least TWO STARTERS.

Sorry, my Keim frustration runneth over.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So.....just don’t draft one high ever again?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm not thrilled at the prospect of the 3rd or 4th best corner in the draft being our unquestioned #1. I'm not even comfortable with Surtain being that, and I think he's the best corner in the draft.

We're supposed to be winning now in the third year of Kyler's rookie deal, and teams don't win now with rookie CBs.
You probably would’ve hated the idea of drafting Tre White then.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Even with a great pass rush, you need better than hot garbage at the position. Or, you know, at least TWO STARTERS.

Sorry, my Keim frustration runneth over.
I get it. As one of the few posters that has backed Keim over the years, my taking up for him, is waning badly. If he doesn't pull something off this off season, like signing Hudson and a WR then followed with a goo draft, it will be time for him to go. It's been long enough. This free agency is giving me Rod Graves flashbacks.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It still shows that if it's a choice between the 49ers or the Cards, guess who wins?

If it's a choice between Seattle or the Cards, guess who wins?

The Rams? Ditto

Pretty much the status quo on the "desirability" of the Cardinals as a destination. Looks like old, oft injured (JJ Watt the latest), washed (Dez Bryant), to be drafted RB (Etienne) are jazzed to join this "woke" team. The others? Getting paid elsewhere.

"Keim Time" will pick over the dregs, as usual, and proclaim the offseason a great "success". Signing a bunch of "meh" of his own FAs and JJ Watt. :championship:

Sorry, I am a darksider so far in this (very early) FA period and have NO confidence in Keim's drafting acumen.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
It still shows that if it's a choice between the 49ers or the Cards, guess who wins?

If it's a choice between Seattle or the Cards, guess who wins?

The Rams? Ditto

Pretty much the status quo on the "desirability" of the Cardinals as a destination. Looks like old, oft injured (JJ Watt the latest), washed (Dez Bryant), to be drafted RB (Etienne) are jazzed to join this "woke" team. The others? Getting paid elsewhere.

"Keim Time" will pick over the dregs, as usual, and proclaim the offseason a great "success". Signing a bunch of "meh" of his own FAs and JJ Watt. :championship:

Sorry, I am a darksider so far in this (very early) FA period and have NO confidence in Keim's drafting acumen.

you poor thing..... Maybe some warm milk will help you deal with all these hardships.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson