CB Alford Cut/re-signs

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Over his tenure as GM, Keim has drafted five ILBs (Minter, Bucannon, Reddick, Simmons and Weaver) and only 4 CBs (Brandon Williams, Harlan Miller, Christian Campbell and Byron Murphy).

weird part is Keim talks premium positions --but promptly forgets on draft day

my theory on ILB is that he was the guy as a scout who ID'd Daryl Washington, and has been trying to replace him ever since

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For me this is the issue with constantly using multiple picks to fill one hole and not focusing on premium positions in the draft.

Over his tenure as GM, Keim has drafted five ILBs (Minter, Bucannon, Reddick, Simmons and Weaver) and only 4 CBs (Brandon Williams, Harlan Miller, Christian Campbell and Byron Murphy). Also, 6 RBs drafted over this same time period vs 4 EDGE players.
Seems his percentage hit rate is better with CBs and edge, thus justifying fewer picks:

ILB: Simmons is only acceptable ILB (minter, buc, Reddick all gone/not playing position and weaver who knows), so 20% hit rate.

RB: DJ only acceptable RB as bell cow (chase change of pace, eno who knows, can’t even conjure up who else he drafted), so 17% hit rate

CB: Murphy only one who seems playable (Williams, Miller, Campbell all phttt), so hit rate of 25%

edge: Reddick could be a win and golden is passable (who are other two?), so 50% hit rate

so it seems logical to throw more assets at the areas keim has a more difficult time hitting. Hope a shotgun approach nets playable guys.

(I’m really kidding, what it really spells is how dismal keim is drafting overall).

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When’s the last time you heard of a 33 year old player miss 2 years at a skilled position and come back to play effectively. This reeks of desperation and only shows how badly this position has been analyzed. It’s clear even to the casual fan that the Cards blew it. Now their pick is too low to fill the CB slot. Free agents are mediocre or overpriced. This is what happens when you don’t look ahead and correctly assess the market. The dollars for Alford aren’t the concern, it’s self-deluding nature of the signing. They think this guy could help and that’s just wishful thinking.
When's the last time we had to navigate through COVIN-19 roster realities?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great move. I thought it was a solid signing but dude never played.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure what his absence had to do with COVID 19
The limits on workouts/Combine/Pro Days etc. made necessary by COVID-19 means that clubs have to evaluate prospects on the basis of differing sets of criteria and weights applied therein.

i.e. in normal times you could apply "didn't play for 2 years" criteria to today's standards, but, under COVIN-19, you might have to throw the lack of playing time standards out the window - or at least reduce their importance in evaluating a player.

In the end, it all boils down to "can the dude help us?" Granted, there's more of a downside gamble in setting aside 2 years of action. But maybe it's worth the risk to downplay lack of action because COVID-19 provides different evaluation tools/srandards, improves the upside/downside ratio and makes the risk more worthwhile.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The limits on workouts/Combine/Pro Days etc. made necessary by COVID-19 means that clubs have to evaluate prospects on the basis of differing sets of criteria and weights applied therein.

i.e. in normal times you could apply "didn't play for 2 years" criteria to today's standards, but, under COVIN-19, you might have to throw the lack of playing time standards out the window - or at least reduce their importance in evaluating a player.

In the end, it all boils down to "can the dude help us?" Granted, there's more of a downside gamble in setting aside 2 years of action. But maybe it's worth the risk to downplay lack of action because COVID-19 provides different evaluation tools/srandards, improves the upside/downside ratio and makes the risk more worthwhile.
I’m sorry, but - WHAT?!? - Not playing for two years due to injury is not playing for two years due to injury. Nothing, literally nothing, changes about that factor bc we are in a pandemic. Even in a pandemic facts remain facts.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of this.

I can't imagine any guarantees will be included in the contract.

I also can't imagine anyone actually counting on anything from him. It is more to just have a body on the depth chart.

You don't sign a 33 yrs old vet as a "body". Plenty of UDFA out there, and coming in this year, who would be even cheaper bodies.

They have some hope, I doubt it is a lot, that he can still contribute. If he looks bad in camp, he can be cut early.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You don't sign a 33 yrs old vet as a "body". Plenty of UDFA out there, and coming in this year, who would be even cheaper bodies.

They have some hope, I doubt it is a lot, that he can still contribute. If he looks bad in camp, he can be cut early.
Point is that they are not adjusting any of their other plans to address to the CB position around the re-signing Robert Alford.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
and Keim's 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2014 drafts really turned out to be awful. 26 players taken, and outside of Budda and one year from John Brown/Haason Reddick/Deone Bucannon each, little to nothing to show from it.

It's stunning the guy still has a job. Inarguably one of the worst drafters, bad with FA, and five seasons straight of not making the playoffs.

Really hoping this is the year he turns it all around, but that seems like wishful thinking at this point.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m sure this story is a tad bit bit exaggerated but……. Young, professional athletes can get a bit cocky, so shame on the Falcon’s coaching staff for letting them lose focus. I was rooting for the Pats, but do remember feeling thankful that I wasn’t a Falcons fan after that game. If that was the Cardinals, not sure I would have survived that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA