Travis Etienne

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm inclined to believe the short yardage is an easier fix than finding a real game breaking back. This offense could really hum with the right guy.

U can get a guy like Mike Davis for short yardage, u don't need to draft one

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We need more than 5 picks if you want to take an RB.

Trade back 6 or 7 spots and it makes sense to me.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The rb can be drafted just if we get other picks, otherwise the only round where a RB should be selected is the fifth round
We have other major needs
First 2 picks must be Linemen and cb, I would trade down, i think they will draft a tackle, so Jenkins is a very probable option, if we can get the cb from northwestern in the second or Asante Samuel Jr i can be more then happy
Having 2 third round picks then a rb can be considered
But I would take a WR and pass rusher in any case

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The rb can be drafted just if we get other picks, otherwise the only round where a RB should be selected is the fifth round
We have other major needs
First 2 picks must be Linemen and cb, I would trade down, i think they will draft a tackle, so Jenkins is a very probable option, if we can get the cb from northwestern in the second or Asante Samuel Jr i can be more then happy
Having 2 third round picks then a rb can be considered
But I would take a WR and pass rusher in any case
For me at this point, it's all about getting the best guy instead of filling specific positions. Free agency is going to offer a lot of decent one year deals. Let's see where the chips fall in filling multiple draft positions, and fill up the rest with guys desperate to take prove it deals.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me at this point, it's all about getting the best guy instead of filling specific positions. Free agency is going to offer a lot of decent one year deals. Let's see where the chips fall in filling multiple draft positions, and fill up the rest with guys desperate to take prove it deals.

No, it's about getting specific position, a player who can impact our qb performance and helping increasing his confidence... is a good class of linemen, we should get 1 in the first, then cb WR, rb is the last problem we have
RB is also important but I dont see much difference between guys labeled as first round picks and 4/5 th rounder

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agreed. The follies for passing clearly superior players for need have been evidenced again and again throughout the history of virtually every sport.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No, it's about getting specific position, a player who can impact our qb performance and helping increasing his confidence... is a good class of linemen, we should get 1 in the first, then cb WR, rb is the last problem we have
RB is also important but I dont see much difference between guys labeled as first round picks and 4/5 th rounder

This is the approach that leads to whiffing in the draft. You never, ever merely draft for need. If you go into the draft and say "we HAVE to draft for offense" and you draft average or bad offensive players while passing up all-pro defensive talent, you're burying yourself with subpar talent. Now, you can say it's a deep OL draft, and then bank on getting some of that OL talent, sure. If it comes to your pick and there's been a run and you're looking at the 8th-best offensive lineman versus a top-notch talent elsewhere, YOU DRAFT THE TALENT. Every time.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Reaching by position is how you end up with mediocre players poorly playing the position. You need to account for talent and scheme fit.

RB is nowhere near the "last problem we have." Chase has shown no ability to carry the load full time. I can buy the argument that good RBs can be found in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but not that it's nowhere near the list of our problems.

CB and Interior OL and are our biggest problems in terms of issues vs. availability, but RB is above or at least tied with WR as our 3rd biggest issue.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. The follies for passing clearly superior players for need have been evidenced again and again throughout the history of virtually every sport.
But considering is a very class of linemen u combine it (as always been) with a clearly position of need
The future of this organization depends on kyler, keeping him healthy and putting him in the position to succeed, a good rb doesnt have a huge impact on it, rb rarely are worth a second contracts, and u can have a decent one later

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see a top rb in this draft having more value then a fourth or fifth lineman, not even close

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But considering is a very class of linemen u combine it (as always been) with a clearly position of need
The future of this organization depends on kyler, keeping him healthy and putting him in the position to succeed, a good rb doesnt have a huge impact on it, rb rarely are worth a second contracts, and u can have a decent one later
Ding ding ding.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup.

OT, EDGE, & CBs are the most valuable non-QB positions in the league. A good CB is way more valuable than a great RB for example. Give me a Xavien Howard over a Dalvin Cook any day.

This isn’t 2006 anymore. You draft for BPA + Value, not just straight up BPA.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

It's not an OL v RB choice, though. I think it's not a bad idea to count on getting an IOL in this draft. As you say, the draft is deep. But if we corner ourselves into NEEDING to draft that position, and there's an early run on OL and good talent at a DIFFERENT position, we'd be stupid either way. Stupid to back ourselves into that corner and take inferior talent or stupid to back ourselves into that corner and still have a big hole at OL when you take the superior talent.

Yup.

OT, EDGE, & CBs are the most valuable non-QB positions in the league. A good CB is way more valuable than a great RB for example. Give me a Xavien Howard over a Dalvin Cook any day.

This isn’t 2006 anymore. You draft for BPA + Value, not just straight up BPA.

I can go BPA + Value. Pure BPA doesn't work, of course, or you could draft 1st-round QBs 4 or 5 years in a row. BPA + Value doesn't equal "you ALWAYS take" ANY position, however, as you've been advocating. It can mean taking that OT or edge player over a CB, or it might mean taking a RB in round 1. Not what I'm advocating, as you should already know, but there are no YOU ABSOLUTELY DON'Ts beyond kickers and punters, really.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd rather have the issue of not getting ten years out of the RB than not having any talent at the position at all, which is close to the dangerous spot we're in right now.
I’d rather have no worries of signing a player to a 2nd contract than to worry about signing a player to a 2nd contract. Which is pretty much most positions vs RBs.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I’d rather have no worries of signing a player to a 2nd contract than to worry about signing a player to a 2nd contract. Which is pretty much most positions vs RBs.
So your solution is... eliminate the RB position from our roster? I don't think even Kliff is that ambitious.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So your solution is... eliminate the RB position from our roster? I don't think even Kliff is that ambitious.
Draft players at way more valuable positions is what I’ve been saying. The thought of drafting one in the 1st, 2nd, or maybe 3rd is nonsense.

“Ah don’t reach for need” yea, you don’t reach for need, you draft for value.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Draft players at way more valuable positions is what I’ve been saying. The thought of drafting one in the 1st, 2nd, or maybe 3rd is nonsense.

“Ah don’t reach for need” yea, you don’t reach for need, you draft for value.
Eventually you've gotta get someone better than a 4th pick or later though, unless you've gotten unfathomably lucky, or pay for a free agent's second contract anyways. I put it in another thread, but there's literally 6 starters in this league drafted in the 4th round or later/undrafted, and of those 6 starters, 3 were undrafted, and since the longest tenured of those guys was drafted/acquired (Raheem Mostert, UDFA in 2015), 93 backs have been drafted.

That's a really, really bad hit %. The rest of the starters in this league were drafted in the first three rounds. "Let's hope we get uncharacteristically lucky" is not a winning strategy.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think not eliminating RB from 1st round consideration has some merit. But, I would more trim that down to not in the top half of round 1. When you get around 18 and below, RB's can have value. People talk about guys like Cook and Henry going in round 2. They were picked in the 40's. There's not a huge gap, draft grade-wise, of guys getting selected in the 20's versus guys getting drafted in the 40's. From the top 10 to the 40's is a significant gap.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would not have a problem with the Cards taking Etienne or Harris in round 1 if they fill their other key needs in free agency.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think not eliminating RB from 1st round consideration has some merit. But, I would more trim that down to not in the top half of round 1. When you get around 18 and below, RB's can have value. People talk about guys like Cook and Henry going in round 2. They were picked in the 40's. There's not a huge gap, draft grade-wise, of guys getting selected in the 20's versus guys getting drafted in the 40's. From the top 10 to the 40's is a significant gap.
I'm all for moving back and grabbing a pick or two and walking out of round 1 with one of the top two RBs if the top CBs and IOL are gone.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
. . . and top 3 wrs are gone
Honestly, I don't want to draft a WR. You can chalk that up to a lack of faith in Keim, the amount we've invested in the draft in the past 5 years at the position, the apparent inability for us to coach up the position, and the potential for yet another bust, but where we stand today, I view RB as more important than WR.

Okay, maybe that's hyperbole a bit, because yes, if Chase, Waddle, or Smith are available, it's sensible. I just hope we go for a WR in free agency, since it's very unlikely any of those three fall.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson