CB Alford Cut/re-signs

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's where a cut designated as post June 1 can help, I would think.

This works best with Kennard so most likely if they cut him. Saves $2.5m more this year ($6.5m overall) and $1.5m more next year.

Pugh not so much. Would save $2m more this year and nothing next. Not a huge amount in the grand scheme considering you can only designate so many cuts as post June 1st.

I don't really get cutting Pugh. His contract is average and his play is average. If we cut him, once you factor in dead money, I don't see how you are getting an equivalent or better player for less or equal money. Especially considering we also need a RG.

I'm not sure how we come out the other side of that with a net benefit in money or talent.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This works best with Kennard so most likely if they cut him. Saves $2.5m more this year ($6.5m overall) and $1.5m more next year.

Pugh not so much. Would save $2m more this year and nothing next. Not a huge amount in the grand scheme considering you can only designate so many cuts as post June 1st.

I don't really get cutting Pugh. His contract is average and his play is average. If we cut him, once you factor in dead money, I don't see how you are getting an equivalent or better player for less or equal money. Especially considering we also need a RG.

I'm not sure how we come out the other side of that with a net benefit in money or talent.

Not in favour of Pugh cut and would consider an adjustment to lower 2021 cap hit.

With Kennard the issue is that he's all we have at OLB opposite CJ at this point.

The "big" cap savings in 2021 is clearly a new deal for C. Jones.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

About Pugh isn't? :
If he is cut
4 mil dead cap
They save 7. 1mil

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And then factor in replacement cost.

We're not going to improve are 0-line by creating more holes.

I'm agree but I don't know what the organization has in their hands
I guess if they cut Pugh they have a plan
Galliard or Cole playing left guard, or a free agent with whom are in talks

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm agree but I don't know what the organization has in their hands
I guess if they cut Pugh they have a plan
Galliard or Cole playing left guard, or a free agent with whom are in talks

The best left guard out there is Thuney and he'd be more expensive than Pugh.

I'm more inclined to deal with Pugh's salary with a bonus, create some cap space and kick some dead money forward.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The best left guard out there is Thuney and he'd be more expensive than Pugh.

I'm more inclined to deal with Pugh's salary with a bonus, create some cap space and kick some dead money forward.

Maybe Galliard can step in and take the LG role, Josh Jones or Murray at righ guard, they use the saved money for Linsley and getting a guy(trading down in the first round) like Jenkins(Oklahoma state) for the Right Tackle spot
Adding also depth with an extra pick, with Meinerz Humphreys or someone else

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Galliard can step in and take the LG role, Josh Jones or Murray at righ guard, they use the saved money for Linsley and getting a guy(trading down in the first round) like Jenkins(Oklahoma state) for the Right Tackle spot

To each his own, but I wouldn't trust LG to someone who couldn't beat out Cole. In fact, in your scenario Cole is the more likely candidate for LG and has some snaps at the position.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We want the O line to get better not worse.

Saving cap space is no good if we go backwards.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
About Pugh isn't? :
If he is cut
4 mil dead cap
They save 7. 1mil

The report said cutting Pugh would save over 9 million off this season's cap.

When discussing what cap space we have left bear in mind that it doesn't include the rookie draft pool.

Which for us this year is about $5m.

Yes, a good point, and something to always consider when calculating the cap.

Not in favour of Pugh cut and would consider an adjustment to lower 2021 cap hit.

With Kennard the issue is that he's all we have at OLB opposite CJ at this point.

The "big" cap savings in 2021 is clearly a new deal for C. Jones.

I could be convinced to re-structure Pugh's deal. It would have to significantly--by more than half--reduce his cap number, IMO, to be worth it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is times like this where Keim's deficiencies are apparent.

Between FA and the draft, Keim really struggles to fill a roster. Consistent inability to get production from draft classes leads to using twice as many resources to fill a single opening. Shipley, Cole, and Gaillard to try to solve the C position and we are now going to pay a top contract because none worked out long term. Same at WR. Took 17 mil Bradford, a 1st in Rosen and the number 1 overall in Murray to get league average production at QB. (Murray is better than league average but that should be the bar). Spent millions and multiple draft picks trying to get a competent CB across from Peterson and now that he is gone, we have one CB on the roster with more than 50 snaps played on defense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It is times like this where Keim's deficiencies are apparent.

Between FA and the draft, Keim really struggles to fill a roster. Consistent inability to get production from draft classes leads to using twice as many resources to fill a single opening. Shipley, Cole, and Gaillard to try to solve the C position and we are now going to pay a top contract because none worked out long term. Same at WR. Took 17 mil Bradford, a 1st in Rosen and the number 1 overall in Murray to get league average production at QB. (Murray is better than league average but that should be the bar). Spent millions and multiple draft picks trying to get a competent CB across from Peterson and now that he is gone, we have one CB on the roster with more than 50 snaps played on defense.

You aren't even mentioning the guard spots. Using big free agent dollars on guys like Mike Iupati and Justin Pugh when many teams across the league draft and develop 4th round picks and let them go once they hit free agency....but then are replaced by 4th round picks who have a year or two under their belt.

Keim hasn't been bad at finding rotational Dline, Safeties, and RBs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Teams that run a bunch of option always makes him look like a preschooler. Hilarious.
Agreed but his pressure stats have been some of the best in the NFL over the past two seasons. 4 for 24 will be a value after this year and you might be able to get him cheaper. A good roster has guys like him on it. It also enables you to draft and develop which would be a brand new concept for us.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
I'd take alford back on a team friendly deal. He is well rested. I'd also look to janoris Jenkins. He's a tuff competitor and can play on an island. Peterson and Jenkins would be a good tandem

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd take alford back on a team friendly deal. He is well rested. I'd also look to janoris Jenkins. He's a tuff competitor and can play on an island. Peterson and Jenkins would be a good tandem

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

How dare you return to the OP’s topic! LOL

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He owes something to the organization, being paid 15 mil to stay home
I don't know what he can offer, I'm skeptical, he is 33, and he barely played in the last 4 years

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave