ICYMI our oline coach was in attendance for Slater Pro-day workout

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He would be one of the few O-Lineman I would take straight up at #16, because he SHOULD be a day 1 starter at C, RG, or RT.

IMO I would rather do a trade down and get another versatile guy like Vera-Tucker a little later.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He would be one of the few O-Lineman I would take straight up at #16, because he SHOULD be a day 1 starter at C, RG, or RT.

IMO I would rather do a trade down and get another versatile guy like Vera-Tucker a little later.
lol, there’s a solid chance Vera-Tucker doesn’t even fall to us at #16 let alone him slipping past up & trading back to get him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I thought NFL teams usually only have 1st rd grade on like 10-15 guys.

Teams, yes...Media, no. They work their butts off, trying to get as many players into their 1st round grade status. That way, when draft day comes up, they can puff their chests when a player is taken in the 2nd round with a 1st round grade...Good value, could have/should have gone higher, blah, blah, blah.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It also seems like media is particularly susceptible to favoritism bias, in that it is much much worse to call out a player that happens to be good (HATER) than to puff up a player that disappoints (Bad system, injuries, coaching, ?). The internet as a quasi-high school popularity contest and the permanence of tweets/statements makes this particularly true.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I love Slater. RG, or LG primarily. LOVE HIM

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I've seen him in round 1 to mid round 2. He'd be a great get for the Cards in round 2. I think he's had some injury history though but not positive on that.

Newsome certainly opened up a few eyes with his 4.3 40 time. Most expected him at 4.45 or so. Even so there are several concerns. He lacks strength and will have trouble with big, strong receivers. He’s not as smooth as you would like coming out of breaks. Top QBs that hit receivers with good timing are tough on any QB but he allows too much gap on receivers who cut well. He’s willing in run support but again the lack of strength is an issue. It also manifests when he try’s to get off blocks. His makeup speed is good but he doesn’t have exceptional last minute burst to the ball.

I don’t think he lasts until the Cards second pick and 16 is way too early. I think he goes early 2. He’s a fine athlete who could have a decent upside with weight room work. He will likely struggle if forced to start immediately. That can be tricky with CBs as self confidence is critical for many to survive.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Newsome certainly opened up a few eyes with his 4.3 40 time. Most expected him at 4.45 or so. Even so there are several concerns. He lacks strength and will have trouble with big, strong receivers. He’s not as smooth as you would like coming out of breaks. Top QBs that hit receivers with good timing are tough on any QB but he allows too much gap on receivers who cut well. He’s willing in run support but again the lack of strength is an issue. It also manifests when he try’s to get off blocks. His makeup speed is good but he doesn’t have exceptional last minute burst to the ball.

I don’t think he lasts until the Cards second pick and 16 is way too early. I think he goes early 2. He’s a fine athlete who could have a decent upside with weight room work. He will likely struggle if forced to start immediately. That can be tricky with CBs as self confidence is critical for many to survive.

Measurements and Times on G. Newsome.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I heard their CB Newsome looked fantastic too. Where does it look like Newsome may land in the draft?
It depends on if teams like him more than Jaycee Horn. Also, I don't know if it is false info, but the opinion of Surtain is not as high as I thought it would be. Questions about his level of athleticism.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Measurements and Times on G. Newsome.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Might go late first round but guys I’m talking to think he’s a nickel CB at first with #2 corner as his ceiling. Don’t see how he fits. If you want a skinny, developmental guy I’d gamble on Tyson Campbell from Ga. He’s a top athlete would is very competitive. He needs polish but his ceiling is very high.