Free Agency Rumors

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You're right. Simmons will never take a snap at RT. ;)
You are trying to be snarky, but you hit on the point. Simmons will never do anything to protect or help Kyler Murray develop. Wirfs could have and when your entire franchise depends on the success of that QB, those things should probably be the priority.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I am sorry you couldn't see how special Wirfs was. It was pretty apparent. You will over time.
Just took a quick look back at about 8 reputable draft sites. Only 1, USA Today, had Wirfs as the top OT. He was generally 3rd or 4th. Also, he nowhere nearly rated as high as Simmons.
So let's not act like Keim passed on a Joe Thomas-type prospect to select Simmons.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just took a quick look back at about 8 reputable draft sites. Only 1, USA Today, had Wirfs as the top OT. He was generally 3rd or 4th. Also, he nowhere nearly rated as high as Simmons.
So let's not act like Keim passed on a Joe Thomas-type prospect to select Simmons.

Right, this "other grass is always greener" mentality has to stop
Simmons was the right pick that time, end of story
Keim made many mistakes as other GM does, but the, selection of Simmons wasn't something to complain
Then I'm not sure if Wirfs with a different qb could have allowed just a sack
Brady his also the best qb to make his linemen looks good
I m pretty sure Willis and Becton could have done the same there

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are trying to be snarky, but you hit on the point. Simmons will never do anything to protect or help Kyler Murray develop. Wirfs could have and when your entire franchise depends on the success of that QB, those things should probably be the priority.

Not snarky. Just a response to your convoluted last sentence.

And given that WIRFS wouldn't have been the difference between making or not making the playoffs last season, your constant harping on this issue is pointless. If Jones proves to be 90% of Wirfs and we add a productive Simmons, we made off like bandits.

And lest-we-forget, we have no idea at this point as to the starting 5 come September.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Again, several of those sites had a RB in the top 10 along with Andrew Thomas who, to people who watched, looked like he was playing with cement shoes. Also, these were the sites that were saying Wirfs was too, and I still laugh when typing this, athletic to play OT and needed to be moved inside. lol

It is not new that offensive lines are still undervalued in the modern NFL. Everyone wants to complain about them, but no one wants to recognize that they directly impact the success of the QB, RB and every other offensive player. In an offensive league, that is the difference between winning and losing.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Right, this "other grass is always greener" mentality has to stop
Simmons was the right pick that time, end of story
Keim made many mistakes as other GM does, but the, selection of Simmons wasn't something to complain
Then I'm not sure if Wirfs with a different qb could have allowed just a sack
Brady his also the best qb to make his linemen looks good
I m pretty sure Willis and Becton could have done the same there
The point that I am trying to make, and I beleve @DVontel is also trying to make, is that an ILB should never be the right pick over an OL if your offensive line is average to bad. Same argument for RB. Teams are rarely successful without top offensive line play. Teams are successful all the time without top ILB play.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The point that I am trying to make, and I beleve @DVontel is also trying to make, is that an ILB should never be the right pick over an OL if your offensive line is average to bad. Same argument for RB. Teams are rarely successful without top offensive line play. Teams are successful all the time without top ILB play.
The fact we can’t even tell where his best position is at is scary. Trenches will always come first. Imagine how Juza & others will be if Derrick Brown has a better career than Simmons, too.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im agree with u about the importance of the offensive line and how the tackle spot has much more importance then ILB but...
Simmons wasn't just an ilb but considered a generational talent, not the typical ILB, but a player who can be used in different ways

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he hasn’t been good in three years and is only getting older at 32.

His QB's the last 5 years have been mostly,

Trevor Siemian
Case Keenum
Jimmy G
Joe Flacco
Paxton Lynch
Brock Osweiler
Taysom Hill

Plus 79 passes from Drew Brees.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His QB's the last 5 years have been mostly,

Trevor Siemian
Case Keenum
Jimmy G
Joe Flacco
Paxton Lynch
Brock Osweiler
Taysom Hill

Plus 79 passes from Drew Brees.

If you want the Cardinals to blow even more money on guys out of their prime and only getting older, by all means, stump for it. I personally think it’s an idiotic way to build a contender.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

while i would prefer some size at #2, this is someone who i would look at
If we’re looking for size & inexpensive, how about AJ Green. True, he’s older & sat out a bunch, but I personally think he was saving himself. Obviously, he’s not my top choice, but just a thought.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you want the Cardinals to blow even more money on guys out of their prime and only getting older, by all means, stump for it. I personally think it’s an idiotic way to build a contender.

I didn't say I wanted him. I just don't think he's washed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
People acting like Wirfs wasn't the best OT in last year's draft, after people claimed he was and he had the best season out of the four is kinda funny. It's like, he can't be because he was drafted 4th out of the tackles. Tell me, since when do we use the Jets, Giants, Browns and Cardinals as the gauge for solid drafting?

Wirfs is going to have a great career and he will directly benefit the QB he is blocking for the entire time. Simmons will never be able to do that.
I would really question the entire organization if we ever put Simmons in a role to block for a QB.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we’re looking for size & inexpensive, how about AJ Green. True, he’s older & sat out a bunch, but I personally think he was saving himself. Obviously, he’s not my top choice, but just a thought.

by all means, let’s bring in even more perpetually injured guys on the wrong side of 30. What’s the worse that could happen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave