Free Agency Rumors

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And Simmons’ late hit on Cam pretty much sealed the deal on a Pats victory. This can go both ways.

Wirfs had a fantastic season & only gave up 1 sack against Khalil Mack. 1!. Imagine having a set of franchise Tackles!

Well, we were told by many on this board when it came time to re-sign DJ that the number of sacks given up was a largely meaningless stat.

* Kelvin Beachum gave up 3 sacks. Cap hit (2020) $887,500

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's no way to claim this that early in their careers. Yes, a great season for Wirfs (and I was on @DVontel's side in the offseason about liking Wirfs/Wills), but it's undoubtedly possible to look back a couple of years down the line and see more production out of a combo of Simmons/Josh Jones and say, Wirfs and Jabari Zuniga (there weren't any ILBs drafted in the third round so I just punted with the next defensive player at a position we drafted).

It's a false equivalence. There's no need to draft an ILB in round 3 if we take Wirfs considering Simmons barely played. We would for example have taken Wirfs last year and Parsons/Collins/whoever this year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's a false equivalence. There's no need to draft an ILB in round 3 if we take Wirfs considering Simmons barely played. We would for example have taken Wirfs last year and Parsons/Collins/whoever this year.
In which case it really narrows to:

wirfs/parsons or collins
vs
Slater or AVT/Simmons

kinda seems like a wash

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Simmons was, and should’ve been the pick.
Prior to the draft nobody thought he’d be available when the cards picked. He was and they took him, now it’s a mistake because the 4th OT had a nice year.
Strongly disagree with this. Wirfs was a similarly solid pick, who had a similarly explosive combine, but played a more premium position and actually would have helped our young QB. You speak like Wirfs was a 2nd rounder who jumped in the draft.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not FA rumors, but good info.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Not a single player on that list that I would trade for. Brooks and Norwell have way too much of a base salary to pick up. Same with Njoku. Ertz is washed. Gilmore would put us in the Peterson situation all over again and probably cost a relatively high pick. Brockers...not after Watt.

Most of these dudes are just guys who are going to get cut.

Reactions: PJ1

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What is everybodys thoughts on Ertz? I never took the time to appreciate his career thus far.

Anything left in the tank? Any good? Can he Block?
He can block well enough, but the guy looked cooked last year. That might be Wentz and injury combined, but I'm not super excited about bringing him on board.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
He can block well enough, but the guy looked cooked last year. That might be Wentz and injury combined, but I'm not super excited about bringing him on board.

so this is how im feeling as well. Im so sick of the washed up TE's like Todd Heap and Freddie Jones.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Not a single player on that list that I would trade for. Brooks and Norwell have way too much of a base salary to pick up. Same with Njoku. Ertz is washed. Gilmore would put us in the Peterson situation all over again and probably cost a relatively high pick. Brockers...not after Watt.

Most of these dudes are just guys who are going to get cut.

whew i dunno Stephen Gilmore would make this defense pretty good.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
How is it a false equivalence? I didn't even plug in an ILB, I plugged in the next sensible defensive player from who was available and the positions we drafted. One way or the other, we were drafting someone in the third round, and Josh Jones was very clearly a great match of a guy who was thought of higher at a position of need.

The point still stands. There's a long way to go until this is resolved. If Jones is a good RT starter for the next 3+ years and Simmons becomes an elite defender, it won't really matter how great Wirfs is, because we'll have likely gotten better as a team.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Whether it be WR/RB/TE, we are in desperate need of more weapons. Outside of Hopkins, DAN FREAKING ARNOLD was probably our most reliable weapon in the 2nd half. That's pitiful.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have what I believe is 3 major holes on offense.
Center
#2 Wr
Rb

If we are truly all in this year we need to go after it.
Center. Go get Linsley. Problem solve for today and next 5 years.
#2 Wr. I think the guy that would explode on this team, Ju Ju Schuster. If you look back at the year he had when Brown was on the other side it’s quite impressive. Hopkins would be that guy. Those two would take a whole lot of pressure of Kirk too.
Rb. I believe this position can’t be ignored. We cannot count on Edmonds being our bell cow. I’m actually okay with bringing Drake back at a reasonable price. Adding Linsley to this line would improve running lanes and replacing Sweezy will be an improvement. Wish we knew what we had in Ward and Benjamin, but we don’t. If they can’t fill the #3 role then we need to add a guy that can.

Many are going to say we need a cb and I think that will come in the draft. But if we are going “ ALL IN” then this offense is going to have to explode on the scene.

Don’t tell me we can’t afford it , the cap, blah blah blah, whatever. If we are going “ all in” it will mean mortgaging part of the future. Let’s not do this half ass as another year of Kyler’s rookie contract is burned.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Strongly disagree with this. Wirfs was a similarly solid pick, who had a similarly explosive combine, but played a more premium position and actually would have helped our young QB. You speak like Wirfs was a 2nd rounder who jumped in the draft.

The FO went into the draft, it would seem, with a plan to shore up the "D".

Many thought, depending on the number of QBs taken, that it would come down to Brown or Simmons.

I would have been content with Wills or Wirfs over Brown, but was ecstatic that Simmons was there.

Beachum at RT had a serviceable season and he didn't cost us the opportunity to reach the playoffs.

Simmons was flashing in the last quarter of the season, and we have yet to see what we have in Jones.

As a glass half full kind of guy, I'm looking forward positively.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whether it be WR/RB/TE, we are in desperate need of more weapons. Outside of Hopkins, DAN FREAKING ARNOLD was probably our most reliable weapon in the 2nd half. That's pitiful.
Agree 100%. Outside of Hop, we have perhaps one of the worst WR rooms in the NFL. Give Murray more weapons, and he will be in the MVP discussion every year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The FO went into the draft, it would seem, with a plan to shore up the "D".

Many thought, depending on the number of QBs taken, that it would come down to Brown or Simmons.

I would have been content with Wills or Wirfs over Brown, but was ecstatic that Simmons was there.

Beachum at RT had a serviceable season and he didn't cost us the opportunity to reach the playoffs.

Simmons was flashing in the last quarter of the season, and we have yet to see what we have in Jones.

As a glass half full kind of guy, I'm looking forward positively.
I agree. Since we traded for Hop, I too would have been fine with Wills, Wirfs, Brown, or Simmons with that pick. If Carolina had taken Simmons ahead of us, I'm leaning towards thinking the Cardinals would have taken Brown. And I would have been fine with that also.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I never once remotely said Wirfs was a second rounder. I said he was the 4tb tackle taken and there’s a reason for that.

I’d like someone to find one place last year where Wirfs was rated as a better prospect than Simmons.

everyone is always clamoring BPA, Keim did exactly that and is being criticized.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never once remotely said Wirfs was a second rounder. I said he was the 4tb tackle taken and there’s a reason for that.

I’d like someone to find one place last year where Wirfs was rated as a better prospect than Simmons.

everyone is always clamoring BPA, Keim did exactly that and is being criticized.

In hindsight is very easy to criticize, but that time Simmons pick was a no brainer, we didn't even expect him to fall at 8
Simmons is still 22, have had probably the wrong coach to start his nfl career
If he put things togheter can easily be our best defensive playmaker
About Wirfs, he looks good, nothing stellar but very solid, don't know how much playing with Brady has to do with it
Normally his former linemen werent so good without him

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In hindsight is very easy to criticize, but that time Simmons pick was a no brainer, we didn't even expect him to fall at 8
Simmons is still 22, had probably the wrong coach to start his nfl career
If he put things togheter can easily be our best playmaker in the defense
About Wirfs, he looks good, nothing stellar but very solid, don't know how much playing with Brady has to do with it
Normally his former linemen werent so good without him
Nothing stellar? The guy literally gave up 1 sack to Khalil Mack & only 2 holding penalties all season. That’s way more than “nothing stellar”.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Outside of Hop, we have perhaps one of the worst WR rooms in the NFL. Give Murray more weapons, and he will be in the MVP discussion every year.
No he needs to not be tentative and worry about getting hurt and he may be in the discussion every year. Use the tools god gave him to make him and the O more dangerous. He completely fell off a cliff in rangers to that the last 1/3 of the season....

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing stellar? The guy literally gave up 1 sack to Khalil Mack & only 2 holding penalties all season. That’s way more than “nothing stellar”.

And Beachum how many sacks and penalties allowed
U know what benefits is for linemen having Brady at qb?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No he needs to not be tentative and worry about getting hurt and he may be in the discussion every year. Use the tools god gave him to make him and the O more dangerous. He completely fell off a cliff in rangers to that the last 1/3 of the season....
That’s because he didn’t have weapons around him & had to be Superman on steroids in order for us to win. Yes, he had to be tentative once injured & I’m sure our coaches wanted him to be tentative with his legs. They knew it was obvious that we wouldn’t win a single game without him. It couldn’t be more obvious that this team has to beef up it’s OL & add offensive weapons for Kyler to utilize his overall talent. Just look at how pedestrian Mahomes looked in the SB with a crap OL (injuries).

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I dont get it, even though I would have been happy with Wirfs too.

Bucs drafted Devon White at #5 the prior draft and Wirfs the next, so why cant we do something similar?