Arizona cardinals sorting through options @ RT

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am amazed that Keim time and time again drafts guys that are then moved to a position they never played in college. Josh Jones is a tackle. He is built like a tackle, played exclusively tackle in college, and now might be a guard in the pros. I know they are practicing the philosophy of tackles being the best linemen on college rosters so load up on tackles and play them inside. Sometimes this works, but often times they are out of position and must learn the nuances of guard play. It just doesn’t make much sense to me.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am amazed that Keim time and time again drafts guys that are then moved to a position they never played in college. Josh Jones is a tackle. He is built like a tackle, played exclusively tackle in college, and now might be a guard in the pros. I know they are practicing the philosophy of tackles being the best linemen on college rosters so load up on tackles and play them inside. Sometimes this works, but often times they are out of position and must learn the nuances of guard play. It just doesn’t make much sense to me.

Particularly since we still need a RT! We drafted Jones....who many thought was a mid first round talent at LT....he NEEDS to be able to be a serviceable starter at RT....or he was a complete waste of a pick.

If they put him at OG and he is awesome, I will eat my words....but I'm getting tired of drafting guys that never play. Gailard needs a shot at OC and Jones needs a shot at RT. If they can't start at those spots, or at least be the #1 depth guy...then we should cut them.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Spot on...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually thought Jones was pretty good this year. He often played in an extra lineman situation so it was hard to evaluate him but I thought he showed some talent. If he's bigger and stronger as the story said that's good news. I'm actually not surprised there's some talk of him at Guard even though yes when we drafted him we all thought he would be the RT. If you followed the scouting reports on him the thing everyone loved about him was his run blocking. There was some PFF stuff they had him the 14th best player in the draft, some sports data company said Houston averaged 3.3 yards BEFORE contact running behind Jones which was third best in the entire draft class and ahead of a couple of guys who went in the first round. He started basically all 4 years in college so he's experienced but because of the level he played at people were skeptical until he played so well at the all star games and that's when people started talking about him in the first round which is why him going 3rd round was so surprising.

So if he stays at Tackle he has loads of potential but if he moves to guard given his rep for run blocking that would be a good thing, a guard good enough to play tackle who is a run blocker.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess I should have seen this coming seeing as how jones got no snaps at RT last season, but this is not really acceptable.

How bad can the guy be they don't even want to try him out there?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have seen this coming seeing as how jones got no snaps at RT last season, but this is not really acceptable.

How bad can the guy be they don't even want to try him out there?

It's a different staff but the Cards are fairly notorious for taking their time with OL's, remember Hump and some others. Before the season started Kugler was pretty direct, people thought Jones might start and he was quite clear it was Beachum and Murray competing, Beachum was going to start and they really liked Jones talent and maturity but it didn't seem like he was going to play much as a rookie and he didn't. The impression I got was that we play T's carefully because if we don't have the 2 or 3 TE sets in our tackles are often 1 on 1 protecting kyler and you don't want to throw a rookie in like that if you don't have to.

Kugler was pretty clear he thinks Jones has a chance to have a long and excellent career. now if he's not playing at all this year I'll eat those words.

I actually won't be shocked if we don't wind up seeing Murray at RG again and Jones at LG. I'm not sure if it's accurate but I read that we can save about 7 million by cutting Pugh. I thought he was pretty decent last year but he makes over 11 million if we can really save that much and if they really like Jones, then it makes some sense. PFF had Pugh rated pretty well

I thought Hump and Beachum were quite solid, I thought Pugh was pretty good but overpaid. So it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Note I'm assuming we may keep Beachum even though he can be a UFA.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
how the Cards approach free agency will tell you what they think about Josh Jones

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson