Trade - straight up Watson for Murray ?

Would you be in favor of a Watson for Murray trade?

• Yes, even though Watson would cost us more for a couple years

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • No, prefer our team as it is with Murray as our leader

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Trade is unfair and would never work as a straight up deal

Votes: 9 9.4%

• Total voters

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Im against it. Watson is better right now, but we are not a great team...and thats with Murray on a rookie deal. Watson brings more injury risk, and more cost. That extra cost would make us even less able to fill holes, and I dont think the difference between Watson and Murray is enough to make up the difference.

IMO our best shot at a SB will be in 2022...year 4. If "the plan" works, we are a playoff team next year and SB contender the next. Kliff finally gets it. Kyler is a near all-pro by then.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nope. I like Watson, but he looks for sacks & has a much longer release than Murray does. That will only translate to more sacks & more injuries as he ages. He's already blown out both knees. Stay the course with Murray. He needs a better interior OL & more receiving threats. And a running back wouldn't hurt either.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If the trade was available 1 for 1 sure. I like Murray as our QB for the next decade but Watson is much better right now. There's no guarantee that Murray ever becomes as good as Watson.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yes, only because I don't trust Keim or Kliff to have this team in a position to contend before Kyler is off his rookie deal anyways, which I'm sure will be pushed for next offseason, to coincide with when Watson and Mahomes got their respective extensions.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Watson cap hits subtracting Murray’s future salary:

21’- $10.5 (+2m dead cap from Murray): 13.5m

22’- $23.7m (minus $11.3m)

23’ - $24m (minus 5th year opt)

24’ & 25’ = $32m each which would be less than Kyler makes if he ends up being as good as Watson...

A straight up swap is a no-brainer but I wouldn’t go overboard with toppings. I still think the future is bright with Kyler

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Vote is about as close at it can be. I was expecting it to go much more one way or the other.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Absolutely.

Anyone who thinks this org can groom a young, raw QB are delusional. Watson is already polished and improving. There's a reason we need these aging vets and leaders--we don't have the ability to draft and groom them.

How many times, for how many decades, have we seen our draft choices leave and suddenly learn how to play?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you guys are crazy Watson is worth much more than that according to the SB nation Texans guys. This was in my FB feed this morning.

https://www.battleredblog.com/2021/...4Cfov4TVadKTvapEE7IbnavE_1yoUeuhZcYijlycGOWM0

Houston gets:

• Kyler Murray
  • Cardinals 2021 1st & 3rd round picks
  • Cardinals 2022 1st round pick
  • Cardinals 2023 2nd round pick
Arizona gets:

• Deshaun Watson

Note, the author suggests that Watson is actually worth more than that but after the bad Hopkins trade you can't expect them to ge full value when dealing with us.

So Murray and (2) firsts a second and a 3rd for a guy who's demanding a trade.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
you guys are crazy Watson is worth much more than that according to the SB nation Texans guys. This was in my FB feed this morning.

https://www.battleredblog.com/2021/...4Cfov4TVadKTvapEE7IbnavE_1yoUeuhZcYijlycGOWM0

Houston gets:

• Kyler Murray
Arizona gets:

• Deshaun Watson

Note, the author suggests that Watson is actually worth more than that but after the bad Hopkins trade you can't expect them to ge full value when dealing with us.

No nice way to say it, but anyone that would be in favor of THAT trade would be even less than a moron. JMO. Factoring age, etc, I wouldn't make a Murray/Watson trade straight up. Murray will be more of a factor in the NFL than Watson will. Many will argue that, but you won't change my mind. Watson is very good, but with more offensive weapons & a better interior OL, Murray will be scary and very difficult to stop.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J.J. Watt: The one thing I want for Deshaun Watson is to be happy

Defensive end J.J. Watt negotiated his own departure from the Texans and was all smiles during his introductory press conference with the Cardinals on Tuesday.

Among the reasons why Watt is happy to be in Arizona is the presence of quarterback Kyler Murray, who he called extremely talented and capable of getting even better in his third season. Watt played with another good quarterback in Houston and Deshaun Watson‘s name came up during the press conference as well.

Watson would also like to leave the Texans, but hasn’t been able to extricate himself thus far. Watt said he hopes that Watson gets whatever it takes to make him happy.

“I love Deshaun. I love Deshaun,” Watt said. “We speak often. He’s an incredible player, but he’s an incredible person. He’s a special human being and he’s obviously unbelievably talented as an athlete, but he is also just a great person. And I tell him, the one thing I want for Deshaun Watson is for him to be happy. He deserves it and I want him to be happy. So whatever that looks like for him, that’s what I want for him.”

At this point, there’s no alignment between what would make Watson happy and what will make the Texans happy. Until that changes, Watson won’t be having anything like the happy scene Watt got to take in on Tuesday.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J.J. Watt: The one thing I want for Deshaun Watson is to be happy

Defensive end J.J. Watt negotiated his own departure from the Texans and was all smiles during his introductory press conference with the Cardinals on Tuesday.

Among the reasons why Watt is happy to be in Arizona is the presence of quarterback Kyler Murray, who he called extremely talented and capable of getting even better in his third season. Watt played with another good quarterback in Houston and Deshaun Watson‘s name came up during the press conference as well.

Watson would also like to leave the Texans, but hasn’t been able to extricate himself thus far. Watt said he hopes that Watson gets whatever it takes to make him happy.

“I love Deshaun. I love Deshaun,” Watt said. “We speak often. He’s an incredible player, but he’s an incredible person. He’s a special human being and he’s obviously unbelievably talented as an athlete, but he is also just a great person. And I tell him, the one thing I want for Deshaun Watson is for him to be happy. He deserves it and I want him to be happy. So whatever that looks like for him, that’s what I want for him.”

At this point, there’s no alignment between what would make Watson happy and what will make the Texans happy. Until that changes, Watson won’t be having anything like the happy scene Watt got to take in on Tuesday.

It seems like the Cardinals are popular with a lot of top players.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Houston gets:

• Kyler Murray
Arizona gets:

• Deshaun Watson

Yeah, that just convinces me the author of that deal is stupid

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
They did a section on Murray for Watson on Around the Horn, BuyorSell last Friday. The panelists all liked Murray better due to his age and ceiling, and salary of course. Cards just need to get their OL in great shape to protect Murray and extend his career unhurt so he can continue to improve. The consensus was that he has just begun to improve and will be a whole lot better as time goes by.

TK421

Veteran
Reaction score
As incompetent as Houston has been in the past, there's no way they'd be stupid enough to trade Watson for Murray straight up.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about a Deshaun Watson for Kyler Murray trade?

It’s one thing for slappies like me to spitball about a potential Deshaun Watson for Kyler Murray trade. It’s another for John McClain of the Houston Chronicle to suggest it.

A week after McClain wrote that the Texans should accept reality and trade Watson, McClain argues that the Texans should approach the Cardinals about a Ken Stabler-Dan Pastorini-style quarterback swap.

It’s a move that instantly would make sense for the Texans and Watson. Houston would replace one franchise quarterback with another, and Watson would be reunited with DeAndre Hopkins and J.J. Watt, on a team that had twice the wins as the Texans in 2020. The Cardinals. however, would have to be willing to embrace Watson (and his contract) in place of Murray, the first overall pick in 2019 who has shown flashes of superstardom.

Then there’s Murray. As McClain notes, Murray has to be on board with joining a franchise mired in dysfunction. After all, Murray has the ultimately leverage — he can quit football and go play baseball. (It currently would cost him $11.6 million to walk away form football for baseball. If the Texans trade for Murray and if Murray leaves the sport, the Texans would have the right to recover the unearned bonus money.)

If both teams and both quarterbacks would be OK with it, the next challenge becomes fixing the right price for a trade. Would a straight-up deal do it? Or would the Cardinals have to add more to the pile?

From Arizona’s perspective, the argument against adding more could be that they’re giving up Murray and the three years left on his rookie deal for a contract that pays out $10 million this year and that has a huge $35 million salary in 2022.

McClain opens his item by explaining that he hadn’t considered a Kyler-for-Deshaun until J.J. Watt joined the Cardinals. That’s when the light bulb first flickered for me.

It’s a long shot, to be sure. But even crazier things have happened in the NFL. Indeed, it feels like, in the coming days, even crazier things will happen.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I feel I have been discussing this longer than most. What I will say is that because of the odds, I bet this a month ago. Not much, but $10 pays $1,500. Using the same logic, I bet the Ravens at the same odds this weekend.

Some QBs require more than just draft picks to acquire. Watson is one of those guys. Maybe they get desperate and take a Darnold or Tua, but I personally believe they are holding out for an offer from a team who can offer a top 12 QB who moves the needle. Lamar and Kyler are two QBs who fit that.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Trading Kyler would be the biggest mistake by far that this organization has ever made, and they've made too many to count. Let's not forget that Watts came to AZ, in large part, because of Kyler. He chose to leave Houston & Watson behind. That should tell you all you need to know about the prospects of trading Kyler for Watson straight up.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trading Kyler would be the biggest mistake by far that this organization has ever made, and they've made too many to count. Let's not forget that Watts came to AZ, in large part, because of Kyler. He chose to leave Houston & Watson behind. That should tell you all you need to know about the prospects of trading Kyler for Watson straight up.
Good stuff here PACardsFan. Totally agree with you. IMO we need to build around Murray especially since he is on his rookie contract for 3 more years. Keim knows that and has even recently stated that in an interview.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ain’.t gonna happen. Watson is worth more than just Murray who the Big Red would be stupid to trade now.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Watson is a better player and only two years older than Kyler.

Watt left Houston not Watson. Don't get that twisted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA