Free Agency Rumors

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
College awards lol.

Keim looks damn foolish taking him over Wirfs as of now doesn’t he?

The Dick Butkus award is not a beauty pageant.

Wirfs selected at #13.

And unless you can give me chapter-and-verse on Simmon's career and how Jones will turn out, Keim hardly looks foolish at this point.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's extraordinarily early to make that call. Heck, Simmons' OT interception is pretty much solely responsible for one of our wins this year.
And Simmons’ late hit on Cam pretty much sealed the deal on a Pats victory. This can go both ways.

Wirfs had a fantastic season & only gave up 1 sack against Khalil Mack. 1!. Imagine having a set of franchise Tackles!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Dick Butkus award is not a beauty pageant.

Wirfs selected at #13.

And unless you can give me chapter-and-verse on Simmon's career and how Jones will turn out, Keim hardly looks foolish at this point.
College awards have no bearing on your NFL future.

All we know is that Simmons had an up & down season, while Wirfs played elite football for a whole season that captivated it off with a Super Bowl ring.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love Simmons and I think he will be spectacular, however there is no way in gods green earth should you pass up a pro bowl OL for a pro bowl LB.

The NFL game today is predicated on pass protection

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Regarding the RB conv. I could see something that Keim said recently actually occurring. He mentioned that the later draft picks this year will be even bigger crap shoots than in the past.

With that being said, I could see us trading a couple picks to move up earlier. Could picks 5 & 7 net us a 4th rounder? It has to be a possibility IMO.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I love Simmons and I think he will be spectacular, however there is no way in gods green earth should you pass up a pro bowl OL for a pro bowl LB.

The NFL game today is predicated on pass protection

I agree, about an ILBer. But nobody knew who would be great out of the draft; it's all a crap shoot.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tristan Wirfs was also playing RT. Let's not confuse that with the premium placed on LT and he'd be playing RT for the Cards. Whether it works out or not, Simmons was the right choice.
Prior to trading for Hop, I was a fan of drafting Lamb. When Simmons fell to us, there was no doubt he was the right pick. But, it still annoys me that we barely used him until midway through the season. And even then, not as much as we should have.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can you imagine how bad our offense would have been had we not traded for Hop, AND not drafted Lamb, Jeudy, or Ruggs?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tristan Wirfs was also playing RT. Let's not confuse that with the premium placed on LT and he'd be playing RT for the Cards. Whether it works out or not, Simmons was the right choice.
Elite pass-rushers rotate on both sides so downplaying the RT’s value in 2021 is nonsense.

Elaborate on how it was the right choice. We needed OL more than ILB. OT, whether it’s LT or RT, still holds more value than a ILB. Wirfs was always BPA over Simmons.

So yea, I’m eager to hear how it was “the right choice”.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Simmons can be a great player. Whether that happens with Vance or with the Cardinals is up in the air.

Wirfs would have immediately helped Kyler, Kliff and the RBs. I truly believe we make the playoffs this past year because he was playing at a very high level.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well sure if you want to count only defacto starters and not guys who have shown they are starting calibre running backs in multi back schemes.

Nyheim Hines
Philip Lindsay
Tony Pollard
Tariq Cohen
Jamaal Williams
Wayne Gallman
Marlon Mack
Jordan Howard
Tevin Coleman
Mike Davis
Jay Ajayi
Jerrick McKinnon
Etc etc

I don't think the Cards are looking for a bell cow back again. I think they learned that lesson. And there's no super star elite running back in this class IMO.

I think they take a cheap vet like Duke Johnson or Tevin Coleman and maybe add a lower round project.
Most of those guys are not starter material. They’re legit nfl backs but not starters.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Elite pass-rushers rotate on both sides so downplaying the RT’s value in 2021 is nonsense.

Elaborate on how it was the right choice. We needed OL more than ILB. OT, whether it’s LT or RT, still holds more value than a ILB. Wirfs was always BPA over Simmons.

LT protects the blindside. That’s where the premium comes into play. I didn’t say RT wasn’t important. I said it doesn’t have the premium attached to it and why the “lesser” tackles play RT. Wirfs will eventually be a LT but he wouldn’t be for the Cardinals unless DJ gets hurt.
Simmons was the right choice because he was universally the higher rated player, had a higher draft grade and plays a position of need.

Wirfs was the 4th OT off the boatd. If the Cards went OT, Wills JR. would’ve likely been the pick anyway.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
All we know is that Simmons had an up & down season, while Wirfs played elite football for a whole season

there are DRAFT MISTAKES

and then there are "it could have been better"

the Giants taking Thomas over Wirfs looks like a DRAFT MISTAKE

the Eagles taking Reagor over Jefferson is a DRAFT MISTAKE

unless Simmons gets no better, that is looking like a "it could have been better" -- and if he really takes the next jump, it might not even be that. This is really true if Josh Jones becomes a competent right tackle

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LT protects the blindside. That’s where the premium comes into play. I didn’t say RT wasn’t important. I said it doesn’t have the premium attached to it and why the “lesser” tackles play RT. Wirfs will eventually be a LT but he wouldn’t be for the Cardinals unless DJ gets hurt.
Simmons was the right choice because he was universally the higher rated player, had a higher draft grade and plays a position of need.

Wirfs was the 4th OT off the boatd. If the Cards went OT, Wills JR. would’ve likely been the pick anyway.
Did I say that you said that RT wasn’t important? No, I said that you’re downplaying the value of it. Though it might not have the same value the LT does, it still holds significant value due to various pass-rushers lining up on both sides.

Wirfs will eventually be a LT based off what? He played at RT a majority of his career at Iowa. Was a stud there. That followed to the NFL & remained a stud.

Our need at RT outweighed the need at ILB. The thing is, we don’t even know if he’s actually better at ILB or S! That’s scary. Simmons wasn’t rated much higher than Wirfs, if at all. Keim just took the bait like an idiot over a player we don’t even know where his true position is at. I actually wonder how hard Simmons would’ve fell if Keim didn’t reach for him.

Willis, Wirfs, whoever, would’ve been a better choice than Simmons. Doesn’t matter if Wirfs was the 4th, 2nd, 7th OT off the board, he still would’ve been a better choice than a position less player.

Keim can make up for his mistake & draft Alijah Vera-Tucker if he falls to him, but he’ll probably do the typical Keim thing & draft Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah instead.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

RTs’ value is obviously less than LTs.

Math:
1. AAV of top5 LT is 19.55mm
2. AAV of top5 RT is 15.15mm

Also, not sure how RT is so clearly a more valuable position than LB, when LB has a HIGHER AAV (15.45) than RT. Also, all the LB in the top5 play in the middle, no OLB/EDGE type guys.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
there are DRAFT MISTAKES

and then there are "it could have been better"

the Giants taking Thomas over Wirfs looks like a DRAFT MISTAKE

the Eagles taking Reagor over Jefferson is a DRAFT MISTAKE

unless Simmons gets no better, that is looking like a "it could have been better" -- and if he really takes the next jump, it might not even be that. This is really true if Josh Jones becomes a competent right tackle
C’mon man, don’t sugarcoat it. It was a draft mistake. Wirfs should’ve been the clear-cut choice from day one.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Also, Simmons has traits that could allow for him to be both
(1) really good at rushing the passer
(2) really good at coverage

his potential scheme diversity makes him more than a traditional LB.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It’s also extremely foolish to look at Guy 1 in a particular system, with particular talent around him, and say that because he has higher PFF grades or whatever than Guy 2 that it was a clear error to draft Guy 2. Especially in their first years in said system. Plenty of all pros weren’t great in their first year.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Right. There is some alternative universe where Wirfs selected at #13 and after Wills and Becton was BPA over Simmons. And until proven wrong we selected our RT of the future.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It’s also extremely foolish to look at Guy 1 in a particular system, with particular talent around him, and say that because he has higher PFF grades or whatever than Guy 2 that it was a clear error to draft Guy 2. Especially in their first years in said system. Plenty of all pros weren’t great in their first year.

Did I mention Wirfs literally protected Tom freaking Brady’s strong side? Sacks allowed/QB pressure are so much more a QB/system stat than an o-line stat.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
C’mon man, don’t sugarcoat it. It was a draft mistake. Wirfs should’ve been the clear-cut choice from day one.
Maybe you should say, in your opinion. The Nfl thought he was the 4th best tackle behind Thomas, Wills. and Bechton. Don’t act Wirfs was the slam dunk choice.

Wirfs will eventually play LT because of his athleticism.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Maybe you should say, in your opinion. The Nfl thought he was the 4th best tackle behind Thomas, Wills. and Bechton. Don’t act Wirfs was the slam dunk choice.

Wirfs will eventually play LT because of his athleticism.

Exactly. Hey, we all get hell-bent stuck on our opinion sometimes, and will shake our fists and argue no matter the (lack of) merit of said opinion. He's entrenched here, on this "Wirfs was always the no duh decision, bar none, and everyone should know that, duh" opinion. It's not going to change. I should know; I tend to do the same thing :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose