Is there a legit alternative to DirecTV

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I simply cannot afford paying a ever rising exuberant amount for DTV when my interest for having it is to only watch the Cards. Is there some alternative out there where maybe at least I can stream the games live from the local Fox channel. I live in Texas and sure the hell do not want to be left with only Cowboy games... which for me would mean no football except that one game when the Cards play them

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was forced to drop DirecTV (it was a battle between signal strength and tree overgrowth and the trees won).

I haven't found a TV alternative to Sunday Ticket games aired on DirecTV. But I have read stuff here alluding to streamed games accessed via the Internet. Problem is - I'm in my 80's and too old to learn Internet "new tricks."

Can anyone here help Jet-stream

PS The tom toms are pounding out rumors that DirecTV may soon deal away rights to Sunday Ticket and that the games may be available on one or another streaming service like You Tube, Amazon Prime or Hulu. (Gotta have faith).

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
AT&T Inc. is nearing a deal to sell a significant stake in DirecTV to private equity firm TPG, marking a long-sought exit from the struggles of managing a declining satellite TV business. A very close friend notified me yesterday that this deal has gone through.
So no one knows what is going to happen to the NFL ticket after the 2021 season.
If I hear any more information, I will keep you updated.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
YouTube TV? Hulu Live?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I tried YoutubeTv this year and it was very good. $65 a month with DVR.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
There are simply no good options here. I am a 19 year DTV and Sunday Ticket subscriber because streaming just doesn't provide the resolutions I would want when I watch the Cards. I have heard the streaming rumors and look forward to the day I can get a dedicated 4k signal for all games. Hopefully it happens in this decade, because I thought for sure it would have happened in the last one.

DTV's apps and the streaming version of ST are horrible. The only comfort I take is that DTV has given me Sunday Ticket free for the last 7 to 8 years through "inventive" credit offers. Meanwhile, VPN's, and streaming hacks have all proven to be "less than" from a picture quality standpoint so they are poor "jerry-rigs" IMO.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I simply cannot afford paying a ever rising exuberant amount for DTV when my interest for having it is to only watch the Cards. Is there some alternative out there where maybe at least I can stream the games live from the local Fox channel. I live in Texas and sure the hell do not want to be left with only Cowboy games... which for me would mean no football except that one game when the Cards play them
I’m in a similar situation as you here in Abq. Local games are always Cowboys or Broncos.
I finally cut the DTV cord two years ago. I am currently running SlingTV, which does have NFL Network and the RedZone channel. So worst case I can watch the scoring plays as they happen. this last year I was able to have my nephew get a Sunday Ticket U streaming plan they DTV. I was able to stream most of the games live. Had a couple hiccups at the end of the year but was able to watch 90% of the games live. Also get the NFL Game Pass thru season tickets and allows you to watch back games as soon as they are finished.
I miss Sunday ticket but definitely do not miss the DTV hassle and my Sling bill is like $50 month

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There are simply no good options here. I am a 19 year DTV and Sunday Ticket subscriber because streaming just doesn't provide the resolutions I would want when I watch the Cards. I have heard the streaming rumors and look forward to the day I can get a dedicated 4k signal for all games. Hopefully it happens in this decade, because I thought for sure it would have happened in the last one.

DTV's apps and the streaming version of ST are horrible. The only comfort I take is that DTV has given me Sunday Ticket free for the last 7 to 8 years through "inventive" credit offers. Meanwhile, VPN's, and streaming hacks have all proven to be "less than" from a picture quality standpoint so they are poor "jerry-rigs" IMO.

Heh most of the streams I use look about as good as DTV, but the drawback is that they tend to drop at least once a game.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When we are back to normal (pandemic-wise) I will probably see if I can find a sports bar in the Seattle area that has Cardinals fans.

It's not the same as seeing the whole game, of course, but NFL Redzone (on Comcast in my case) has been quite useful, particularly when the Cardinals are playing in the afternoon and there aren't a lot of other games going on. And Redzone is cheap.
:cards:

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Long time DTV user, but the price after awhile was to high. Looked at other alternatives and went with sling. Has everything I want including PAC 12 Channel as my son plays baseball at a PAC 12 school. Only drawback is they dropped Fox sports regional networks, but there’s ways around that.

Shortbus

Reaction score
If you know anybody that's a college student, have them sign up for Sunday ticket for students. Then use their sign up. It's 100 for a year for streaming access through the app which you can access on a firestick or such. My niece signed up for me as she could care less about nfl. So for at least the next few years that's how I get the ticket.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Express VPN = virtual private network service that allows you to change your IP location address.

Select: Canada

DAZN - All sports streaming service, which holds international rights to NFL Sunday Ticket

Read up: https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/which-vpns-can-actually-access-dazn/

Another variation on this is do the same thing with NFL Gamepass and a VPN.

Buy the International Gamepass from whatever country is cheapest. I find that's normally India, I think was $120 last year. That gets you every game live, highlights, All 22 and everything on NFL network.

Then buy a good VPN to change your location to any country outside the US.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting thing is that the local AZ sports nets provide a fixed amount of content. The more ways you can package that content, the more ways you can charge advertisers for ad revenue.

You'd think that FOXSports woud want to market their local sports programming content in as many ways as possible (because it costs next to nuthin').

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another variation on this is do the same thing with NFL Gamepass and a VPN.

Buy the International Gamepass from whatever country is cheapest. I find that's normally India, I think was $120 last year. That gets you every game live, highlights, All 22 and everything on NFL network.

Then buy a good VPN to change your location to any country outside the US.

I buy via DAZN Canada. ($150.00 cdn a year) for full sports package.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Heh most of the streams I use look about as good as DTV, but the drawback is that they tend to drop at least once a game.
My problem with streams is the audio I have a good setup and I can hear the compression

regardless I think Amazons gonna make a huge run at NFL broadcasting moving forward

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
bilasports.com - or one of MANY similar sites that bootleg stream from foreign locations. Then mirror from your phone to your TV.

I've had DirecTV since 2004 and had Sunday Ticket every year. DirecTV started circling the drain the moment AT&T took over. It's a travesty that the NFL limits the full package to ONE provider. But that's gonna change soon, allegedly AT&T isn't gonna renew the ST exclusivity agreement that's been in place since Day 1.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My problem with streams is the audio I have a good setup and I can hear the compression

regardless I think Amazons gonna make a huge run at NFL broadcasting moving forward

What I hope is that Amazon gets the games, and then offers individual team packages.

While I enjoy watching other teams as well, if a Cardinals only package was offered, I'd jump in a heartbeat.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I hope is that Amazon gets the games, and then offers individual team packages.

While I enjoy watching other teams as well, if a Cardinals only package was offered, I'd jump in a heartbeat.

Amazon has even more audio compression.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazon has even more audio compression.

Yeah we watch Prime all the time and they have a huge issue with audio delay on movies and tv shows and everything I read online says it's due to compression. You're supposed to be able to adjust settings to get it to synch but I haven't had much luck.

I had streaming DTV twice and loved it but the one issue is there's a huge delay, sometimes it seems 20 to 30 seconds. So if you are like me and you're watching the game and on ASFN often during games, you will see people saying great catch D Hop and thinking huh, that was a run play. Then you see the catch. I didn't get it last year even though they auto renewed me, I cancelled. I just didn't trust the season would happen and I was concerned it would be a nightmare to get money back they'd just want to do credits. Had I known upfront I would have gotten it all year.

Not at all complicated Roku and Fire stick both have it built into the home screens you just need a login and password and you only do that once for the rest of the year you're logged in. But you gotta have fast internet or you're going to see video quality issues.