VR gaming

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figure it needs its own thread. I just picked up an oculus quest 2 last night. Between tutorials for an hour last night and goofing off today, I am absolutely stunned by how engrossing this thing is. I just popped in on to play something and by the time I took it off, realized 90 minutes went by of me floating around in a zero g space station, using thrusters and hand power to push myself around all while I stand in my living room and try not to fall down due to the situation my brain thinks it is in.

It now has multibuser support so I need to make some more fake facebook profiles.

I've tried demos for super hot and beat saber and figure those are must buys.

I tried roller coaster games but they make me a bit nauseous. I want to find a great boxing game too as it should be fun plus a nice cardio workout.

What games do you guys love? Is the walking dead saints and sinners worth the price tag?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm mixed on games for my Quest. I need ones that don't have a lot of movement. It gives me motion sickness bad if I try something that's running around. Games I have and my recommendations on them:

Must have:
Beat Saber - it's the reason to have a VR headset. When you buy it head over to bsaber.com for how to patch it so that you can add custom songs and they have a huge library. I can give you some song recommendations if you do on ones I think are fun to play. There's a lot of junk ones so you have to sift through them a bit and try out.

Audica - It's another music rhythm game but you have a gun in each hand and are shooting different types of targets. There are some custom songs for it too but the library is a lot smaller than BeatSaber's. I'd get Beat Saber first for that reason.

Top Golf Putting - It's basically mini-golf and then has some side games that are similar to what you play at Top Golf. Surprisingly fun and I'm not a golfer.

Mixed on:
Myst - I want to love this since I loved the original game and it should be great in VR. I'm mixed on it because in free movement mode I get motion sickness. In the the jump to move mode it's good but I find moving around a little tedious.

TaiChi - It's nice, a bit relaxing, and easy to use. I put it in mixed mainly because I never think of loading it up. I got it on sale though and had a credit (Oculus randomly gives me $10 ones) so I got it cheap. I'd buy again if I had that deal.

PokerStars VR - Sort of the same thing as TaiChi, just never think of playing it. It's free though so cost to check it out.

No go games:
Pistol Whip - motion sickness
There's also a bunch of games I never tried like Population: One because I know from their trailer that I'll get sick.

Non-Games:
Skybox - video playing that can access my NAS. It's cool to watch videos on it at times.
YouTube VR - They have some cool 360 videos on it plus you can watch your normal YT content.
Firefox VR - Gotta have a web browser. Don't use it a ton though.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm mixed on games for my Quest. I need ones that don't have a lot of movement. It gives me motion sickness bad if I try something that's running around. Games I have and my recommendations on them:

Must have:
Beat Saber - it's the reason to have a VR headset. When you buy it head over to bsaber.com for how to patch it so that you can add custom songs and they have a huge library. I can give you some song recommendations if you do on ones I think are fun to play. There's a lot of junk ones so you have to sift through them a bit and try out.

Audica - It's another music rhythm game but you have a gun in each hand and are shooting different types of targets. There are some custom songs for it too but the library is a lot smaller than BeatSaber's. I'd get Beat Saber first for that reason.

Top Golf Putting - It's basically mini-golf and then has some side games that are similar to what you play at Top Golf. Surprisingly fun and I'm not a golfer.

Mixed on:
Myst - I want to love this since I loved the original game and it should be great in VR. I'm mixed on it because in free movement mode I get motion sickness. In the the jump to move mode it's good but I find moving around a little tedious.

TaiChi - It's nice, a bit relaxing, and easy to use. I put it in mixed mainly because I never think of loading it up. I got it on sale though and had a credit (Oculus randomly gives me $10 ones) so I got it cheap. I'd buy again if I had that deal.

PokerStars VR - Sort of the same thing as TaiChi, just never think of playing it. It's free though so cost to check it out.

No go games:
Pistol Whip - motion sickness
There's also a bunch of games I never tried like Population: One because I know from their trailer that I'll get sick.

Non-Games:
Skybox - video playing that can access my NAS. It's cool to watch videos on it at times.
YouTube VR - They have some cool 360 videos on it plus you can watch your normal YT content.
Firefox VR - Gotta have a web browser. Don't use it a ton though.

Thanks! So far motion bothers me too. I had no idea about side loading music into beatsaber, thats a big deal as good music would help a lot. I just read all about the walking dead game and it sounds awesome but its also a deep, many hour type of game that I'm not sure I can hack yet.

I'm also waiting for the head strap upgrade that comes with a battery before I buy the upgrade. I'm also hoping the upgraded headstrap helps my 6 year old as she has trouble keeping the oculus on her head with her tiny nose.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Thanks! So far motion bothers me too. I had no idea about side loading music into beatsaber, thats a big deal as good music would help a lot. I just read all about the walking dead game and it sounds awesome but its also a deep, many hour type of game that I'm not sure I can hack yet.

I'm also waiting for the head strap upgrade that comes with a battery before I buy the upgrade. I'm also hoping the upgraded headstrap helps my 6 year old as she has trouble keeping the oculus on her head with her tiny nose.

Yeah, being able to side load music is huge for it. It's pretty much all I play on it anymore. Can't tell you the last time I played a built in song.

Careful on your 6 year old. There's always warning for VR headsets about letting children use them due to eyesight development. You'll find people also claiming that it's not a big deal. I'd recommend doing a little research on it and deciding how you want to do it with your child. I'd probably allow it but air on the side of caution by limiting use.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, being able to side load music is huge for it. It's pretty much all I play on it anymore. Can't tell you the last time I played a built in song.

Careful on your 6 year old. There's always warning for VR headsets about letting children use them due to eyesight development. You'll find people also claiming that it's not a big deal. I'd recommend doing a little research on it and deciding how you want to do it with your child. I'd probably allow it but air on the side of caution by limiting use.
For sure. Occasional use, definitely no long term gaming for her. She rode a roller coaster last night and liked it okay but then I put her in the first steps tutorial and her jaw dropped several times. It was quite fun.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Star Trek VR Bridge Simulator is sweet as hell, but ya gotta be a nerd. :)

I was recommended a plank game, bridge sim reminds me of that. In the plank game, you walk out of empire state buildings on a plank. Sounds horrifying.

"richies plank experience"

Apparently if you push 666 in the elevator, you exit the building into nightmare mode.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Star Trek VR Bridge Simulator is sweet as hell, but ya gotta be a nerd. :)

Do you just get to walk around the bridge, or can you actually play around?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
@BigRedRage The VR app I was talking about in the other thread is called Cosmic Flow. It's not on the official store though. You have to side load it through SideQuest. Also, it unfortunately looks like it's busted right now. I can't get it to launch correctly. The last update to it was in September and I'm wondering if one of the last Quest updates broke it. There was a positive review from about 4 days ago so maybe you'll have better luck.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got richies plank experience and nightmare mode is now my favorite way to let someone try VR for the first time. It is freaky as all hell and hilarious to watch from the outside.

I purchased beat saber because you kinda have to, its just solid. I went on the oculus store and superhot was 30% off so YOLO and nabbed that up. I also found a boxing game titled thrill of the fight. I only did the first boxing match but I was sweating bullets by the time I was done. The game is only $10, very very highly reviewed and everyone said it was a hell of a workout, even crossfit trainers so that was an easy buy.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also, virtual desktop is now an official app on oculus. Now, instead of buying the $80 cord, you can pay $20 for virtual desktop and stream higher level VR games from a gaming computer to your quest. The cord probably works a little better but it has a cord.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Trek Bridge Crew is fun. I just started playing Vader immortal but my favorite game right now in VR is Star Wars Squadrons. It reminds me much of the old X-wing games.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thrill of the fight is legit. I had to buy silicon covers for the VR as after a fight, it is soaking wet with sweat.

Superhot is way cooler than I thought it was going to be. Amazing game.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked it up and bridge crew is on oculus quest. So, with the quest, all you need is the quest. All other VR require you to plug into a gaming PC to power the VR.

Thanks.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thrill of the fight is legit. I had to buy silicon covers for the VR as after a fight, it is soaking wet with sweat.

Superhot is way cooler than I thought it was going to be. Amazing game.

My favorite VR game is Space Pirate Trainer. If you have a group, Don't Talk or Everybody Explodes is awesome as well.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried FitXR last night and holy crap what a workout. I think I was sweating even more than with thrill of the fight. 16 minutes straight of music, boxing, squating and lunges.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite VR game is Space Pirate Trainer. If you have a group, Don't Talk or Everybody Explodes is awesome as well.

A groupd all playing at once or a group watching the cast?

I downloaded the demo for space pirate trainer

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A groupd all playing at once or a group watching the cast?

I downloaded the demo for space pirate trainer

The group watches, but also participates by helping defuse the bomb. You can't play the game without a group really.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elite strap w battery solt out forever so getting a knock off elite strap for $35 on amazon and will attach my own portable battery to it to extend battery life and counterbalance the headset. Everything I read is that it makes it so much more comfortable having the counterbalance.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose