If Fitz does retire, where does he rank among all time WRs?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever see Moss hustle a ball to the LOS so another play could be run? Larry did that at least twice last season alone.

That team player/situational awareness along with his skills, stats, consistency, attitude, and heart puts Larry as a solid #2 at worst.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever see Moss hustle a ball to the LOS so another play could be run? Larry did that at least twice last season alone.

That team player/situational awareness along with his skills, stats, consistency, attitude, and heart puts Larry as a solid #2 at worst.

Whats more important? 35 more TDs over a career in 3 less seasons some that were clutch... Or jogging/hustling the ball back to the line of scrimmage here and there over a season? Honest question. I’m not sure how you quantify the massive TD production over your point?

Reaction score
Well..... Rice won a SB MVP so it could be subjective but i do know this.

I think Larry's run to the SB is the stuff of legends. Rice never propelled his team like that. All of the TD's, catches, and insane plays.

then you have the other playoff games like Green Bay. The Palmer catch and run then the shovel pass for the win in OT. When it clearly looked like we were about to lose.

I think that if you look at it subjectively, no other WR had as profound an impact on a teams run to the Super Bowl as Fitz had that year. And his clutch, timeless level plays separate him.

But I'm a massive homer.

As far as the All-Pro's thing. Moss was a monster, I get it. So was T.O. I can't fault the arguments.

What I can say is he was a perennial Pro-Bowler. With crappier QB's throwing to him more often. Had higher highs when it mattered most in the playoffs. Out lasted all of them, and continued to be play at high levels. And the Man of the Year award matters as well. TO And Moss were never MOTY candidates, or leaders in the locker room at any point.

The case is strong. But I'm going with my guy because he has never embarrassed us, the shield, the team, or the fans. Plus.... His stats are (in totality) much better.

1,000 times this. Exactly how I feel about Fitz & the rankings.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats more important? 35 more TDs over a career in 3 less seasons some that were clutch... Or jogging/hustling the ball back to the line of scrimmage here and there over a season? Honest question. I’m not sure how you quantify the massive TD production over your point?

TD's are dependent on more than just the receiver. Two seasons just with Brady in New England - Brady threw 89 touchdowns, of which 36 were to Moss - so a LOT of people were catching touchdowns in NE those years.

He also benefited from a pass-first Minnesota offense with Culpepper (129 touchdowns, 65 to Moss).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His 6-year peak literally came right before the 04’ illegal contact rule was implemented where defenders could still be physical with pass catchers. Just a weird nitpick.

that makes it even worse he played in a physical era. Like I said I look at what he does great not what he doesn’t do.

just think it’s funny

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually agree with you... But a WRs job isn’t to go make a tackle and make important defensive stops regularly if necessary.

Trying to compare Moss to Peterson is futile from the get go.

CB literally practice with tennis balls taped to the palm of there hands so they don’t grab.

So your saying WR shouldn’t be asked to block or support the run or even go over the middle?

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That’s like ripping MJ for not shooting a lot of 3’s. Why would the best WR in the league change his game?
No it's more like MJ not playing D ... that is the difference.

MJ was all around the best ever in basketball.

For me Fitz is the best all around WR ever. Blocking, clutch, Hands, route running, contested catch.

Moss was good in some parts but god awful in a lot of other parts.

Rice was good at many, but he had also luck with QB.

And Fitz willed us to wins in 2010-14 (example 2011 win over Philly ...), and really he had crap QB that threw to him... in his prime he had the likes of Kolb, Skelton, Lindley as QB, Rice and Moss would have quit playing with that type of QB play ...

So yes, Fitz overall is top 2.

But who knows, if he returns, we have a playoff birth and he energizes like the last times ... and our O starts finally clicking and we win it all with him putting up 100 yards 4 times (many ifs), he could be viewed by some expert as the ultimate #1 since he did it in a time, where D got more athletic and so on.

At the end of the day, we will see what Evans and Hopkins can accomplish and that will have a bit of an impact on how Fitz will be viewed (both Hop and Evans are the only ones that can catch fitz in total yards in the next 5-8 years).

But otherwise, none of the actual "greatest" are in contention with Larry. Yes Larry didn't win the contention in 2011 with Calvin Johnson but he was in the talk from 2007-2014 as one of the best 3 WR always and only because the lions force fed Johnson, Megatron won the 2011/12 "best WR" competition ... but if you target one player over 156 times with a decent QB ... he might be the "best".

If overthrow skelton throws to you ... that is a total different story...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If you are making an argument that Fitz is #1 or even #2, I do think the QB argument is a central point in that argument.

Imagine if the Cardinals had taken Aaron Rodgers years ago...

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Quarterbacks who have thrown touchdown passes to Larry Fitzgerald:
  • Kurt Warner - 39
  • Carson Palmer - 28
  • Josh McCown - 12
  • John Skelton - 7
  • Kevin Kolb - 5
  • Matt Leinart - 5
  • Josh Rosen - 5
  • Kyler Murray - 5
  • Derek Anderson - 4
  • Drew Stanton - 3
  • Blaine Gabbert - 2
  • Max Hall - 1
  • Richard Bartel - 1
  • John Navarre - 1
  • Shaun King - 1
  • Brian St. Pierre - 1

Give him Rice's QBs and he might have been completely unstoppable. I can't possibly rank Fitz any lower than #2 based on the sub-par QBs and teams he's been on.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
No it's more like MJ not playing D ... that is the difference.

MJ was all around the best ever in basketball.

For me Fitz is the best all around WR ever. Blocking, clutch, Hands, route running, contested catch.

Moss was good in some parts but god awful in a lot of other parts.

Rice was good at many, but he had also luck with QB.

And Fitz willed us to wins in 2010-14 (example 2011 win over Philly ...), and really he had crap QB that threw to him... in his prime he had the likes of Kolb, Skelton, Lindley as QB, Rice and Moss would have quit playing with that type of QB play ...

So yes, Fitz overall is top 2.

But who knows, if he returns, we have a playoff birth and he energizes like the last times ... and our O starts finally clicking and we win it all with him putting up 100 yards 4 times (many ifs), he could be viewed by some expert as the ultimate #1 since he did it in a time, where D got more athletic and so on.

At the end of the day, we will see what Evans and Hopkins can accomplish and that will have a bit of an impact on how Fitz will be viewed (both Hop and Evans are the only ones that can catch fitz in total yards in the next 5-8 years).

But otherwise, none of the actual "greatest" are in contention with Larry. Yes Larry didn't win the contention in 2011 with Calvin Johnson but he was in the talk from 2007-2014 as one of the best 3 WR always and only because the lions force fed Johnson, Megatron won the 2011/12 "best WR" competition ... but if you target one player over 156 times with a decent QB ... he might be the "best".

If overthrow skelton throws to you ... that is a total different story...

Defense in the NBA is half the game. That’s like saying Moss couldn’t catch or get open. If that was true he wouldn’t be third all time in career points by a non-kicker. If you’re putting that much emphasis on blocking you’re arguing for the inferior player. If blocking was so important you might as well put TO #2.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Defense in the NBA is half the game. That’s like saying Moss couldn’t catch or get open. If that was true he wouldn’t be third all time in career points by a non-kicker. If you’re putting that much emphasis on blocking you’re arguing for the inferior player. If blocking was so important you might as well put TO #2.
Moss did run mostly of his time one position and then only half the route tree... that is practically saying he did only play half the game... he didn't block, didn't run all route trees and so on ... this isn't about him not being a great WR, this is talking about what he did as a WR and that was more of a guy that only played O in the NBA

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Fitz is #1. I have nothing but respect for Rice, but if Fitz had Joe Montana and Steve Young throwing to him his entire career, he would be ahead of Rice in a lot of categories. Just look at the trash heap of QBs that Fitz caught passes from.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Fitz is #1. I have nothing but respect for Rice, but if Fitz had Joe Montana and Steve Young throwing to him his entire career, he would be ahead of Rice in a lot of categories. Just look at the trash heap of QBs that Fitz caught passes from.

Not to mention all those seasons with a savy innovative HC / OC named Bill Walsh ! Considering all factors , I can't see how anyone could put Rice in front of Fitz !

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Two time league MVP Don Hutson is #1 by a large margin.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If you are making an argument that Fitz is #1 or even #2, I do think the QB argument is a central point in that argument.

Imagine if the Cardinals had taken Aaron Rodgers years ago...
Agreed. The amount of years that Fitz had dreck throwing to him is just a freaking shame in (a) where his numbers would be; and (b) where he would reside in public perception. Think of this, the nfl world knows who Larry is - what if they were watching him with a top QB in his younger years instead of garbage.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose