JJ Watt signs with AZ

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year JJ Watt played 1013 snaps for the Texans. He proved that he could stay healthy and that was with no help (name a Texan defensive player other than Watt?).

You can't look at one stat and say that a player is not productive or effective.

Watt is disruptive in all aspects of the game (Sacks, Batted balls, Tackles for loss,etc) and he commanded a double team on almost every play. He was the only player opposing teams had to game plan for.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I never stated he wasn’t productive because of one stat. I’m saying he’s too big a risky because we’re paying him a ton, eating up cap space for a guy who’s not nearly productive as he used to be and his body has broken down in a myriad of ways for the overwhelming majority of the last five years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of agree with Cheese, but in Watt’s defense, he was playing along dogshhhhhh on that front 4 in Houston the last two years. With Chandler & hopefully Reddick back, he won’t have all the attention on him again.

I hope you’re right. It’s just that 32 year old chronically... eh. I’ve said my peace.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd like to see the response here if Watt had signed with SF or the Rams. I'm guessing it would be alot more positive for those teams.

TB just showed how important pressure is on the QB. Watt not only made the Dline better, he made the DB's better too.

People want to focus on the 5 sacks but look at the other stats of how much he was double teamed(teams don't double washed up players), his win%, and other advanced stats.
Yeah those things are what temper my concern with the sacks somewhat. My concern lies more with injuries.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am not seeing any issue with the two statements.

If Colts, Browns, Titans offered $23.5 or $24 million, then they offered more than the Cardinals.
Uh total, not guaranteed. Cards offered $31M total.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For those who value negative plays created for front seven defensive players, here is why this all looks to potentially work.

Haason Reddick 15 TFLs (T-5th) and 12.5 sacks = 27.5 negative plays created
JJ Watt 14 TFLs (T-8th) and 5 sacks = 19 negative plays created
Jordan Hicks 11 TFLs (T-21st) and 0 sacks = 11 negative plays created

Jordan Phillips 13 TFLs (T-16th) and 9.5 sacks = 22.5 negative plays created
Markus Golden 13 TFLs (T-16th) and 10 sacks = 23 negative plays created
Chandler Jones 11 TFLs (T-30th) and 19 sacks = 30 negative plays created
Jordan Hicks 11 TFLs (T-30th) and 1.5 sacks = 12.5 negative plays created

The point being that if you believe (like me) that modern defense is predominantly red zone / 3rd down / 4th down / negative plays / QB pressures / turnovers. ... we have a bunch of guys can do that if we bring them all back.

This is why I say it doesn't make sense to cut Phillips. He wasn't healthy and the last time he was on a good line, he wrecked havoc because he can win one-on-ones.

For those who don't love Hicks. I feel he will look better with Simmons next to him vs Campbell.
Agree about Phillips. I think return if CJ and addition of JJ gives him a chance to live up to his contract. Hicks, I dunno. Will have to see. But more talent around any player typically results in superior play.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hopefully PP21 will see that having a great DL will make him look better, and be willing to take a one-year bargain deal in hopes of putting up good stats for a better deal in 2022 :)
He’s too old to any to do that. He needs his multi year contract this year. It’s his last big shot for $$$.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I got your point but I don't agree with it. A negative play is a negative play.
And his point is that you have to take the same negative plays into account for all players, hence Reddick 27.5 looking a lot better than JJ’s 19.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is me again stating I am fine with adding TFL and Sacks to all players as a measurement of their effectiveness.

I am not at all understanding how agreeing with you is an issue
Just fight with him already, damnit!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And his point is that you have to take the same negative plays into account for all players, hence Reddick 27.5 looking a lot better than JJ’s 19.

I did that in a separate post. Watt was the #13 player in the NFL in negative plays.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
lol everyone in the FO needs to be fired if we take another ILB in the first round.

I agree to an extent...the only exception being Parsons. He is probably a top 7 talent in this draft...and he may slide due to off field stuff.

If he was still sitting around by our 2nd round pick Id run to the podium. Parsons/Simmons would be the best young LB combo in the NFL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA