JJ Watt signs with AZ

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane... WTF are you talking about? First, Lorenzo Neal was never on this team. Lorenzo Alexander was the ST ace who’s greatest season for us produced... 1 sack. His other season produced... O SACKS. He almost NEVER saw actual snaps on D nor was he in any way shape or form a consistent part of that NFC title game defense.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlexLo99.htm

one season he had... 13 total tackles and the other had a whopping FOUR.

and actually Shane, YOU moved the goalposts. Ouchie and Chopper were talking about Keim going out and signing BIG TIME BIG MONEY FAs. Those were the guys in Choppers post that Ouchie said we never sign those type of bank busters. Which we very very rarely do.

you listed a bunch of one year prove me guys who ENDED UP being productive for a season. But that’s a totally different type of FA then the big money Guards and Defensive Players Chopper was talking about.

actually you’re right lol... don’t know what I was thinking I should probably quit drinking lol..... but regardless of the Neal blasphemy I somehow pulled out of my ass. The conversation as i interpret was successful FAs. So they only qualify if big money long term deals now? Hmmm ok

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually you’re right lol... don’t know what I was thinking I should probably quit drinking lol..... but regardless of the Neal blasphemy I somehow pulled out of my ass. The conversation as i interpret was successful FAs. So they only qualify if big money long term deals now? Hmmm ok

yeah. It wasn’t if the guys he got were successful after we signed them. It was the ability to go out and get big ticket guys up front in FA.

Keim has had a really good track record with one years over the years. Unfortunately it seems like most of the big contracts he DOES give out in FA, we’re all clamoring to cut the next year (Kennard, Phillips from last year immediately come to mind).

also, you’re retired. No reason to stop drinking!

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
ok now your moving the goalposts... we’re they good and successful while here? 1 year? 2 years. Doesn’t matter success is success. Abraham in his one year was IMO worthy of a PB. But in the end PBs don’t matter.

Lorenzo Neal became much more then just a STer for us he accumulated 8 sacks the year we went to the NFC champ game and was a solid reason for the success of the team that year as a situational pass rusher as well.

Do you not value Andy Lees contributions to the team? I’m confused on what you consider good then.

He wants that other punter back. :)

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
ok now your moving the goalposts... we’re they good and successful while here? 1 year? 2 years. Doesn’t matter success is success. Abraham in his one year was IMO worthy of a PB. But in the end PBs don’t matter.

Lorenzo Neal became much more then just a STer for us he accumulated 8 sacks the year we went to the NFC champ game and was a solid reason for the success of the team that year as a situational pass rusher as well.

Do you not value Andy Lees contributions to the team? I’m confused on what you consider good then.
I mean . . . good. I mean a free agent signing that plays at a high level for the team for multiple years not necessitating a reset every year or just playing merely average.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There are different types of success. But the ones you’re talking about are bandaids not what most think about when they get to scored about a legit free agent signing that removes a need from a team.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hate to say it but this type of signing is typical of this organization. Way too risky for the money. And I didn't want them emptying the bank for Reddick either. Had to be reasonable.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
Lot of gloom and doom here..i prefer to be optimistic and hope they can keep Reddick.. in which case
Imagine you are an opposing QB stepping up to the line and seeing ( in various spots) C Jones, Hassan Reddick, Dennis Gardeck ( 1 sack every 17 snaps last year) and Watt . .and Simmons floating back there and Buddah ready to come in and take his head off at any time... I really can't wait to see this....

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Holy moly. I was in meetings all day at work and then came home to see this.

I personally thought JJ was washed, but some of the posts in this thread suggest otherwise.

I really hope this works out.

Card Fan 2 B

Reaction score
how did I forget it was Fairbairn? Not a strong enough leg, pretty accurate but can't make the 55 yarder to win it

Fairbairn was resigned by Bill O’Brien (thank goodness) the ex-GM/HC so he is being paid about 3 times his market value...

Reactions: HGC

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Real question is whether or not the organization will let Watt wear #99, seeing as it’s retired

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Reggie was the best DLineman I've ever seen & I've seen a ton of them. People forget how massively strong he was. I would argue that he was the best defensive player ever at ANY position.
Kevin Greene played till around like 35-36 I believe? He was still pretty dominate at that age. He had double digit sacks his last year in the league with the Panthers. He even said after retiring that he felt like he could've played longer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watt is 32, Same age as Michael Strahan when he recorded 18 sacks

strahan didn’t have multiple back surgeries. And in Strahan’s two previous seasons before getting 18 sacks, he had 11 and 22 sacks.

In Watt’s last two seasons, he’s had 4 and 5. That doesn’t exactly give me hope for a Strahan-like resurgence.

Jesus... I just looked at Watt’s last FIVE years and it is actually horrific from a health and production standpoint.

2016 - 1.5 Sacks
2017 - 0 sacks
2018 - 16 sacks
2019 - 4 sacks
2020 - 5 sacks

so, whether due to injury or just not being as effective even when healthy, we just gave a massive salary to a guy with two back surgeries under his belt who has a grand total of 26 sacks... OVER FIVE YEARS.

yeah. I know I said I was going to be optimistic. But that was short lived. I think this is an absolutely idiotic overpay for a guy who’s not nearly what he was once was in his play on the field or his health off it.

Last edited: