JJ Watt signs with AZ

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would like Fitz back for about $3 to 4million per year not any more. He made a lot of money over the years from the Cards so if he really wants to come back he gotta help the team's $$ cap.
Reddick is gone. Cards are not going to resign him. They will cut CB Alford and that will free up another $7.5 million. Cards need to sign an experienced CB and WR neither should be for big buck players. Fill the rest of there needs in the draft lots of good OL and WRs. I do like the JJ Watt signing and realize there is risk.

They can pay Fitz his $11m structured for cap purposes over 2 years, which could be any number in 2021 and a 'dead' money hit in 2022.

That's what they did with Campbell.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The cap is pretty much irrelevant. Why else are teams taking dead cap hit of over 20 mill this year? It can be manipulated so easily that it's not an issue. If that's your only reason against the signing, it shouldn't be. There's risk with Watt but there's risk in any FA signing. One thing you know you're going to get is max effort. I like the signing. Why not bring him in and try to make a run? Sitting there status quo and hoping a draft pick comeS in to have an impact is not a better solution than JJ.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe they want Reddick back.

I believe they are saying they want Peterson back.

I believe the number they will offer Reddick is twice as much as they would offer Peterson.

Gambo is saying the number with Peterson is 11 million and they are firm on it. I would rather they just let him go and get someone younger and cheaper - especially if it is a multi year deal.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a lot of posters here have forgotten how good JJ is. Maybe we slightly overpaid but DE was a huge weakness on this team and he immediately shores it up. Yes he has been injured recently but when he plays he is excellent.

We can still pay for Reddick and we will make a good bit of cap space by (hopefully) cutting Kennard, Alford and extending Chandler.

I think a lot of posters are remembering him from 5 years ago and not recently.

He is still a good player, but if you are expecting a pass rushing menace - that is not him anymore.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The cap is pretty much irrelevant. Why else are teams taking dead cap hit of over 20 mill this year? It can be manipulated so easily that it's not an issue. If that's your only reason against the signing, it shouldn't be. There's risk with Watt but there's risk in any FA signing. One thing you know you're going to get is max effort. I like the signing. Why not bring him in and try to make a run? Sitting there status quo and hoping a draft pick comeS in to have an impact is not a better solution than JJ.

There is a finite amount of money available for free agents.

He is not how I would have spent it. Would much rather have had Chris Godwin - he would have had a lot more impact on every game IMO.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

He is still a good player, but if you are expecting a pass rushing menace - that is not him anymore.

I don’t think anyone is expecting a pass rushing menace from a 3-4 end.

Card Fan 2 B

Reaction score

Dude was the most double teamed player in 2020, look it up. Watched every game in 2020 and he looked like JJ Watt to me... only difference is Bill Obrien gutted the whole damn team and opponents schemed away from JJ primarily running the ball. Most rushing yards given up in team history, easy run away from 99 in the direction of the late round and undrafted talent on the other side..

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gotta give it up for SK. Drafting is not a strong point, but he’s quite good with FA signings. And Watt may be somewhat of a risk, but I have to believe that a motivated Watt should be a force. Plus, the guy’s a HOFer as regards community outreach. I see this as all positive.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Gotta give it up for SK. Drafting is not a strong point, but he’s quite good with FA signings. And Watt may be somewhat of a risk, but I have to believe that a motivated Watt should be a force. Plus, the guy’s a HOFer as regards community outreach. I see this as all positive.
I'll give you this..... Keim has balls.

But his drafts and most FA signings have been crap.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Card Fan 2 B

Reaction score
looking through these post it’s clear that you folks are in for one hell of a ride next year :) happy for you all. Nuk was the best WR in the league, why it took him going to Arizona to get the recognition is beyond me.... now you get the “washed up” JJ Watt... it’s a freaking joke.... y’all just hit the damn lottery again!!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looking through these post it’s clear that you folks are in for one hell of a ride next year :) happy for you all. Nuk was the best WR in the league, why it took him going to Arizona to get the recognition is beyond me.... now you get the “washed up” JJ Watt... it’s a freaking joke.... y’all just hit the damn lottery again!!

Agreed.

What are people really mad at? $2 million to $4 million dollars?

It's silly

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
There is a finite amount of money available for free agents.

He is not how I would have spent it. Would much rather have had Chris Godwin - he would have had a lot more impact on every game IMO.
Very small chance Godwin even hits the market.
Bottom line, the Cards are a better team today than yesterday.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Very small chance Godwin even hits the market.
Bottom line, the Cards are a better team today than yesterday.
Personally..... I think it would be criminal to let Godwin hit the market. But they MUST franchise Barrett. He's the guy that they will probably hold on to.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just landed in Denver and had a ton of texts. Holy Cow!!!!!

Love this signing! Watt and Jones together could be something special. Watt had zero support last year and was still disruptive.

His leadership is what this team needs. He will hold people accountable and give it his all every single play including during practice.