JJ Watt signs with AZ

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn't have paid that money, I'm not really excited by that contract numbers. If we can keep Reddick and get two average CB than this deal could be great if Watt has still something left and stays heathly. Fro me at the moment to many ifs...

We will see how it plays out. Protecting Kyler and giving Kyler a TE/WR to depend on and build a O-line that can keep us moving/running would have been better in my opinion but, D wins championships and so we have to invest.

Forget Reddick....resign Golden....who was a Cards draft pick and been way more productive in his career than Reddick. Watt + Golden is WAY better than just Reddick.

Now we hope that a CB like Surtain, Farley, or Horn is there at #16. We sign a decent CB in free agency, and we suddenly have a pretty decent looking defense on the field!!

Surtain - Thompson - Budda - Conley??

Jones - Hicks - Simmons - Golden

Peters - Fotu - Watt

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a FA move?

When did FA begin?

I looked it up and they can start on the 13th and make it official on the 17th.

So how can we sign him?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Is this a FA move?

When did FA begin?

I looked it up and they can start on the 13th and make it official on the 17th.

So how can we sign him?

Watt was released

most Free Agents (like Reddick for the Cards) are so because their contract with their current team ends. That officially happens at the start of the new NFL League year - which is March 17

guys who are cut can sign immediately

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is such a Cardinals/Keim deal.

Primo Keim. Pay top tier money for a guy that 32 in 3 weeks and who has played 2 full season in the last 5 (8,5 and 3 in the other 3).

Watt is still a good player. I think to some teams he's worth that contract. But this is a deal that teams do when they think they are close to competing. We just aren't close.

$23m guaranteed to a guy with his injury record. SMH.

Reeks of desperation.

Which is what they "think" and we will see.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking this is our swing at a Reggie white type move. Depends on watt health imo.

Reggie White was still beyond dominant, coming off three consecutive 16 game seasons with 14/15/14 sacks in each and no injury history.

There’s no comparison there. If we had signed Watt three years ago when he was at the top of his game, that would be a comparison.

also, looking at Reggie White’s stats just now... GOOD LORD. He was beyond beast pretty much his entire career. I mean, even at age 37, in his final season he got 16 SACKS.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WhitRe00.htm

I remember him being great, especially on those Eagles teams that used to pulverize us, but the longevity and havoc he was able to wreak so late into his career is pretty astounding.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh. Too much money for an aging, injury-prone player. :( Not to mention that the team still has a lot of holes to be filled like wide receiver #2, interior o-line, etc. :(

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My stab at how they structured this.

Year 1 9 million fully guaranteed.
Year 2 14 million fully guaranteed, 8 million not guaranteed.

Year 2 they extend him a year or two again

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why would he come here aside from us paying way more than any other team. the other story lines were too good. pitt with his bros, home to GB

pitt was never happening can’t afford him and won’t take some lime light from his brother....

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really not sure about this... It feels like we overpaid for a slowing/aging player. Seriously wonder how much Watt has left...
No doubt this is a major swing for the fences by Keim. Wonder if this will impact Fitz’s decision-making..

In 2020, Watt ranked 15th out of 119 qualified pass-rushers in pass rush win rate, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So reports were as many as 12 teams were talking to JJ, and that the highest offer he'd gotten was in the 15-16 million per year. He got 2 years 31 million from us so even if we were the highest offer, unless all the other offers were WAY lower it's not like we were bidding against ourselves here.

Rumors we're going to extend Chandler Jones to free up more capspace to keep Reddick are interesting.

Seems like as others said we looked at FA and the draft and said we're not likely going to be able to land enough help at CB, draft would likely require moving up, not clear we can do it in FA. So we decided to go all in on the pass rush to help the DB's we have and the one(s) we draft

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In 2020, Watt ranked 15th out of 119 qualified pass-rushers in pass rush win rate, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

This.

Watt still impacts the game. Watch him on every play and you will see he still plays hard. He was also the most double teamed player in the NFL last year I think?

I predict 10+ sacks this year for Watt. I think its a great signing.