JJ Watt signs with AZ

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Big risk and big reward move.

Like many have said, this doesn't prevent the Cardinals from adding more pieces or retaining players they want.

If you want the justification for the move, you can argue that Vance wants vets, and Vance feels zone is going to be the best option for the team with the talent they have at CB and the options available in FA and the draft. I don't see any lock down CBs available and you can't wait for the draft to try and grab one. We are going to have JAGs at CB, play a zone heavy scheme, and try to build the front 7 to pressure the QB.

In terms of Reddick, a couple things. 1. He is small for his role. 2. It is a great EDGE year for FA and the draft. I don't believe this prevents him from coming back, but it definitely is an easier spot to replace.

Also, as I said, Keim is emptying the tank this year. This won't be the only big move.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fire SK now. I’m done

that money should have been used to get a legit number 2 WR or help on the offensive line.

Sacks the last two years

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Another thing I would like to say. I do like that we are filling the defense with like-minded guys. Chandler Jones is a grinder. Budda Baker is a grinder. Jordan Hicks is a grinder. Markus Golden is a grinder. JJ Watt is a grinder. If you want to change a culture on a side of the ball, this is a way to do it.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Uh yeah, he's still got it and will be elite for the next 2 years, if healthy.

Is it just me or does he batt more balls down than anyone?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing I would like to say. I do like that we are filling the defense with like-minded guys. Chandler Jones is a grinder. Budda Baker is a grinder. Jordan Hicks is a grinder. Markus Golden is a grinder. JJ Watt is a grinder. If you want to change a culture on a side of the ball, this is a way to do it.

thats not a lot of speed on the field.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, I hope I’m wrong about this move.
There was a tweet on watt Instagram to hop that said let's finish what we started...

Little iffy on watt injury wise but if he stays healthy he can take pressure off jones to hopefully get more pressure sacks

Fingers heavily crossed this works

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am real skeptical. If he can get 10 sacks, and a couple of big plays, and we make the playoffs this year. It would be a good signing. That would be akin to John Abraham and Dwight Freeney. The positive for him is Chandler Jones is on the other side. First time he is playing with a player who is more of a threat, will get more attention, than he has over his career.

I just have serious doubts that he can produce that much.

Prove me wrong, please, Mr. Watt.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't like this signing--he's older, injury-prone, and may not be worth the contract at this point--but I can't believe how excited I am instead. Granted, if this doesn't work out, it will be an epic mistake. If it does work out, it will be a home run. We shall see.

why would he come here aside from us paying way more than any other team. the other story lines were too good. pitt with his bros, home to GB

Pittsburgh has to cut tens of millions to even approach getting under the cap, and that's before the draft and FA. He was never going to Pittsburgh.

Keep Reddick & let Golden go

I think we'll get the reverse. We'll sign Golden as a backup and jettison Reddick.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't remember who, but isn't someone's tag line 'If and when healthy'? Seems like that would apply.

Go get 'em JJ. I'm happy for him and the team both!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Fire SK now. I’m done

that money should have been used to get a legit number 2 WR or help on the offensive line.

Sacks the last two years
When you lose as much talent on that D-Line..... You cant really just go by sack #'s. Especially when the team had only 34 last season. He accounted for 15% of his teams sacks by himself. And led the team. And he also led the team with 16 TFL.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Watt has played full 16 game season 2 out of the last 3 seasons. I’m worried about his durability, but it’s not like dude has been Bob Sanders the past few seasons
I expect his snap % to decrease.

JJ Watt
Jordan Phillips
Leki Fotu
Rashard Lawrence
Zach Allen (edit, I forgot about him)
Corey Peters (I expect)
Larry Ogunjobi (would be a dream)

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Uh yeah, he's still got it and will be elite for the next 2 years, if healthy.

Is it just me or does he batt more balls down than anyone?

He had more pass deflected then our best defensive back
More tackle for loss then our defensive linemen combined

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose