Suns @ Timberwolves Sunday game thread 2-28-2021

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
KAT would thrive in a Chris Bosh-type role on LeBron’s Miami Heat teams. Third wheel, who doesn’t really have to play defense, but can get timely field goals and be sneaky from outside and sometimes, pour it on when others are struggling.
Except Bosh was actually a pretty fait defender once he joined the heat from my recollection.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton with 22-10 in 25 minutes. Towns with 21-10 in 33 minutes. I am good with that. One game at a time.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
All I’m saying, and I’m the bad guy here, is that in a game we struggled for three quarters, we need more than 12 good minutes of play from Ayton.

We were just awful for 3 quarters. Glad we win, but you can’t simply ignore that.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Ayton led the team in rebounds and was second in scoring on 9 of 11 shooting. Smith, Crowder, Carter, Payne and Moore went for 0-14 in 55 min. Ayton wasn’t perfect but he isn’t the reason the suns struggled in this game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric was very effective in only 16 minutes scoring 13 points on 5-7 shooting. He had 3 rebounds.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ayton led the team in rebounds and was second in scoring on 9 of 11 shooting. Smith, Crowder, Carter, Payne and Moore went for 0-14 in 55 min. Ayton wasn’t perfect but he isn’t the reason the suns struggled in this game.
No and I never accused him of such. But he and CP3 are the top 2 players that need to step up when we ARE struggling. He finally did it, but it took 3 quarters to do it.

And it isn’t normal either. He normally doesn’t step up, and that is the problem.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
All I’m saying, and I’m the bad guy here, is that in a game we struggled for three quarters, we need more than 12 good minutes of play from Ayton.

We were just awful for 3 quarters. Glad we win, but you can’t simply ignore that.
I don’t disagree.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aytons scoring stats are efficient, but we need to see more than a jump shot or fadeaway when he's 4+ feet away from the basket. He's getting better at putting the ball in for a dunk, using pump/head fakes. Before he'd just toss the ball right back out.

Kat looks like crap, covid hasn't been nice to him. He looks bigger and has some conditioning to do.

Edwards from the Wolves looks like a keeper, he kept trying to dunk but suns actually stopped him from jamming on them.

Jalen Smith, could have at least hit the rim. Maybe its the eyes? Lasik? Goggles? Idk, but he shouldn't miss that bad.

Rubio is like eh, the Wolves roster is g-league. Jake Layman would look good on our bench though.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns move to #3 in the NBA in the Athletics power rankings.
I would not put them above the Lakers or Nets right now. If they can make noise this week, maybe next week they could move into the top three. It really should be about standings.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a fallacy. He had only 2 at halftime.

It's not a fallacy. Yes he had only 2 at halftime but he (and Booker) both picked up 2 fouls and went to the bench with minutes remaining in the first quarter. Prior to that Ayton was playing smart and hard. He backed off a bit after that but all told, I'm happy with the game he played. I was especially impressed by his willingness to match Kat's physicality early on, he hasn't usually done this.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a fallacy. Yes he had only 2 at halftime but he (and Booker) both picked up 2 fouls and went to the bench with minutes remaining in the first quarter. Prior to that Ayton was playing smart and hard. He backed off a bit after that but all told, I'm happy with the game he played. I was especially impressed by his willingness to match Kat's physicality early on, he hasn't usually done this.

watched the game with Ouchie and we commented on the same thing. There was fight in that dog last night from the jump. Exactly what we are begging to see from him night in and night out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree. I was really surprised how much the refs were allowing them to beat on each other. It was like watching WWF.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
One subtle but encouraging thing was early in the game, Ayton got the ball at the elbow as he often does. Instead of just looking immediately for someone to pass to, he squared up and got in a triple threat position, even taking a jab step (IIRC). He ended up giving the ball to Book coming off a screen but even that simple action made the defense have to engage.

So often he gets that ball and the defense just knows he's not a threat so they sag off him or overplay passing lanes.

Edit* Found it:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'll just have to be the bad guy on this then.

I loved that we won, and loved the aggressiveness he showed for about 12 minutes. The rest of it? We shouldn't have been in a position for a) having to turn it on in the 4th quarter and b) Book having to score 41 points.

Ayton shouldn't get a free pass because we won and he played well for about a 1/3 of the minutes he normally plays. That's not going to be good enough against better competition.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll just have to be the bad guy on this then.

I loved that we won, and loved the aggressiveness he showed for about 12 minutes. The rest of it? We shouldn't have been in a position for a) having to turn it on in the 4th quarter and b) Book having to score 41 points.

Ayton shouldn't get a free pass because we won and he played well for about a 1/3 of the minutes he normally plays. That's not going to be good enough against better competition.

oh god

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it would go down as one of our worst trades ever.

Would you rather pay Ayton the max or KAT?

I think if you're paying that much, KAT is more likely to earn the contract than Ayton. Signing Ayton to the max scares me. It could be one of the worst contracts in franchise history.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you rather pay Ayton the max or KAT?

I think if you're paying that much, KAT is more likely to earn the contract than Ayton. Signing Ayton to the max scares me. It could be one of the worst contracts in franchise history.

They are both risks when it comes to max deals (and for similar reasons) but Ayton plays both ends of the court (sometimes). The big advantage on the Kat side is the Booker connection but unless that's a make or break issue, I'd rather have the inconsistent but sometimes elite defender who is almost 3 years younger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave