Deandre Ayton discussion

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmmm. I am going to have to watch this more carefully. I always thought of Ayton as a much better than average pass receiver. I wonder if this is common among big men. Do any of you watch any other centers as closely as you watch Ayton?

Embiid for instance? Not trying to defend or anything, just want to try to get an accurate picture.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I am going to have to watch this more carefully. I always thought of Ayton as a much better than average pass receiver. I wonder if this is common among big men. Do any of you watch any other centers as closely as you watch Ayton?

Embiid for instance? Not trying to defend or anything, just want to try to get an accurate picture.

Hmmm... I primarily just watch the Suns. But when they go up against other good big men, I don’t feel like they’ve got skillet hands. That’s something I’ll pay attention to moving forward. But also, it’s not like we haven’t had other big men over the years. Barkley had incredible hands, same as Amare.

and Duncan, Shaq, Dream, Robinson weren’t fumblerooskis with the ball.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
lol... Borderline All-Star? I’d bet dollars to donuts he didn’t get even a handful of votes from the coaches or players to get him there.

14/11/1 isn’t a borderline All-Star. The 24th ranked C by per isn’t a borderline All-Star. And Borderline All-Stars aren’t continually yelled at on the court by their legit All-Star leader/PG because they’re not playing up to their potential.
Note he went from “DPOY” to “borderline all star.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hmmm... I primarily just watch the Suns. But when they go up against other good big men, I don’t feel like they’ve got skillet hands. That’s something I’ll pay attention to moving forward. But also, it’s not like we haven’t had other big men over the years. Barkley had incredible hands, same as Amare.

and Duncan, Shaq, Dream, Robinson weren’t fumblerooskis with the ball.
This. In addition someone else pointed out earlier that we don’t see all these turnovers feeding book, frank, or Dario in the post so it isn’t that we just have a collection of players who have no ability to feed the post.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This problem with Ayton is not new, I complained about it when he was playing in college. I can't remember if it was on this forum or the one that Superbone frequents but in a draft thread I mentioned how he goes from having great hands to fumbling everything with no rhyme nor reason for the shift (that I can see). He can catch or grab anything except for those nights, halves, quarters where he can't grab anything cleanly.

I don't think any player can stand up to the scrutiny this forum gives Ayton especially in the game threads. But DA has stretches where his play is so bad it's tough to not call him out on it. I just have a problem with sweeping proclamations about him. He isn't a waste, he isn't just the center version of Rubio, he isn't a DPOY candidate but even with his huge warts we are a much better team because of him. And if he always played like he occasionally plays, we probably wouldn't have more than 2 or 3 losses.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This problem with Ayton is not new, I complained about it when he was playing in college. I can't remember if it was on this forum or the one that Superbone frequents but in a draft thread I mentioned how he goes from having great hands to fumbling everything with no rhyme nor reason for the shift (that I can see). He can catch or grab anything except for those nights, halves, quarters where he can't grab anything cleanly.

I don't think any player can stand up to the scrutiny this forum gives Ayton especially in the game threads. But DA has stretches where his play is so bad it's tough to not call him out on it. I just have a problem with sweeping proclamations about him. He isn't a waste, he isn't just the center version of Rubio, he isn't a DPOY candidate but even with his huge warts we are a much better team because of him. And if he always played like he occasionally plays, we probably wouldn't have more than 2 or 3 losses.
I agree with all this. I know I’m one of the most consistent (if not the most consistent) critics but it’s not because I think Ayton “sucks” it’s because he shows glimpses of what he can be, but they only show up for a half, or a game, or on really rare occasions a 3 1/2 game stretch like earlier this season. I think when you combine that with his contract-related comments and getting tattoos it leads me to question his motivation and drive.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We're waiting on you to acknowledge that you were wrong about how turnovers are recorded.
Yup there was an obvious CLANG off Ayton’s hands in the paint tonight. Really good pass too. Ayton has zero turnovers in the box. That’s called immediate evidence.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Yup there was an obvious CLANG off Ayton’s hands in the paint tonight. Really good pass too. Ayton has zero turnovers in the box. That’s called immediate evidence.
I'm guessing you mean this TO by Cam Johnson (second highlight): https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?ContextMeasure=TOV&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=28800&GameID=0022000526&PlayerID=1629661&RangeType=0&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612756&flag=1&sct=plot&section=game

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yup. The pass is directly to Ayton just a bit above his waist and he fumbles it down and then it bounces up to him and he hits to toward a defender. And it’s scored Cam’s turnover not Ayton’s. That’s a good pass that goes against cam, not Ayton who fumbled it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
To be fair, most players, no matter how good they are, are going to have a play or two like that in every game.

My problem is that outside of the 4th quarter he wasn't actually doing anything offensively at all.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To be fair, most players, no matter how good they are, are going to have a play or two like that in every game.

My problem is that outside of the 4th quarter he wasn't actually doing anything offensively at all.
Again, I didn’t bring it up to complain about him. I brought it up in the context of what we were speaking about earlier today, that the passer gets the turnover in that scenario even if it’s the fumbler at fault.

tonight was a good game, imo, for Ayton on the hands front. That time and the rebound in traffic where he brought the ball down and had it stripped outta his hands (but it went out on the wolves) were the only two bad hands moments he had in the game. That’s pretty good.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I do watch our other guys like Kam and Saric, they catch the ball cleanly more so than DA. They also have better post moves for sure, lately Ayton has been utilizing timing and pump fakes more and more. Before he would shrivel up and pass the ball out without even thinking about the rim.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ayton > Luka now in win shares.

BIG FELLA taking bodies.
Which means precisely nothing. Luka has nobody close to CP3 and Book on that roster.

Happy we are better than the Mavs, but you’ll be hard pressed to prove Ayton is better based on that stat.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose