The Kicker?!?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are kickers out there that will be available. It comes down to how much do you want to spend. I would not be shocked to see ZG excel in camp and end up being retained.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
True, but that's not Zane either. And at minimum Nugent made those shorter kicks Zane proved he couldn't.
I'm not suggesting we sign Zane lol. Dude is a headcase, and I don't think he even trusts himself. I suggest we go after Koo. Pay him what he deserves. Give him 3-4 mil a year for 3 years. We haven't had a reliable kicker since (arguably) Chandler Catanzaro in his first 2 years. Special teams has been our biggest problem over the last decade. I'd say shoddy kicking and punting has cost us more seasons as of late than any other part of our team.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
That would track with Keim's stupidity. Let's pay a K that can't kick game-winning FGs good FA money! :sarcasm:

I could see Zane getting resigned on the cheap since I doubt there will be much interest in him. It would be the Keim way. Zane signs a $1 -$1.5 million deal and KK will say he's aces in practice.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jose Borregales is the best kicker in the college ranks & declared for the draft 12/23/20. Very accurate & has nailed several game winners over 50 yds in his career at Miami. If he doesn't get drafted why not sign him to a FA deal?

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know no one wants to draft kickers. I don't understand this thinking when a kicker can win or lose a game on one play. (last play?).

Especially now with seemingly so many games coming down to the last drive or few plays of the game?

Why not get/draft the best kicker out there?

Besides the qb, maybe wr, who else can be single handedly responsible for possible wins or losses during the season?

I'm not saying bring someone in to replace Zane. I'm saying consider drafting a game changer/winner if you think he's the one.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know no one wants to draft kickers. I don't understand this thinking when a kicker can win or lose a game on one play. (last play?).

Especially now with seemingly so many games coming down to the last drive or few plays of the game?

Why not get/draft the best kicker out there?

Besides the qb, maybe wr, who else can be single handedly responsible for possible wins or losses during the season?

I'm not saying bring someone in to replace Zane. I'm saying consider drafting a game changer/winner if you think he's the one.

The primary reason is kickers are REALLY hard to judge in college. Zuerlein was a 6th rounder and was the best kicker in the league for a few years, ridiculous leg. But he played at Missouri Western State or some crazy school, he was the first non FBS kicker to get drafted in years, and people were saying the Rams were dumb to pick him until they saw the guy kick.

College kickers it's just a whole different thing, they used to say it was the ball and the tee but nowadays it's mainly that lots of kickers just don't get enough work in college to be scouted. The really good teams that put up 40 to 50 PPG, the kickers mainly kick Xp's and kickoffs, they don't kick many FG's and there's nowhere near as much pressure. If you kick for Alabama or Clemson the odds that you missing a kick are going to lose the game are pretty slim because they win most games by 20 or more points. So the trait most NFL teams really value with kickers, the ability to handle pressure, is impossible to evaluate at the college level because most college kickers have less pressure kicks in 4 years than an NFL kicker does in 1 year.

I remember seeing Aguayo his first 2 years in college and thinking automatic, that guy was out of the league quickly because he could not make kicks when it mattered. If you actually looked his last couple of years in college he wasn't as good but he was so highly touted that his bad rookie year just got magnified and I don't htink he's ever got off anybodys practice squad since.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why not use the 7th round draft pick on getting the best kicker in college? 7th round picks rarely make the team and getting a good young kicker would be a positive move filling a big need.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose