Sean Kugler: center is in need of an upgrade

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whoa! whoa! Kugler simply said that Jones was versatile, not where he's best suited.

* and Marcus Gilbert, back from COVID opt-out, is under contract.

So LT Humphreys LG Pugh C Cole/Galliard/FA?/draft? RG FA?/Murray/draft? RT Jones/Gilbert

Versatile, after playing few snaps as an extra tigh end...

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
Look for some older FA vet like Alex Mack to provide the competition.

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
Nick Martin just released by the Texans, perfect fit for the Cardinal's OL. 6'4" 299. Only gave up 6 sacks in 62 games.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We have to enter next year with 2 new starters on the O-Line. It could be Galiard or Jones and a FA/Rookie...or it could be two new players...but their play has to be upgraded.

My personal plan would be to go with Galliard at Center and Jones at RT. Both guys need a chance to actually play and see if we have anything. I would sign the top OG on the market, and I would let things play out with DJ - Pugh - Gaillard - Thuney - Jones
I think the plan is now "get better linemen everywhere outside of Humphries".

What I will say is that I do feel Pugh would be better if he had a better player at C next to him. This is why I would start with signing Corey Linsley in FA. A left side of Humphries, Pugh and Linsley is pretty solid. From there you have Murray, Jones and Gilbert (he is under contract). That group needs more talent but lord help us if Jones turns into another Mason Cole. Would be another example of Keim having to double down on resources to fill one hole on the roster.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His words, unlike your earlier "So u are projecting Josh starting at right tackle when the coach make it clear he is better suited to play guard."

He can't be considered versatile cause he just played few snaps in the nfl
If a young player doesn't show enough during practices at his original position then the coach can try him in a different one, maybe it pan out maybe not
The fact isnt considered a lock playing right tackle when the team doesn't have a decent one yet it means he didn't match kugler expectations

Last edited:

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I think this is a great draft for IOL. Hope we get at least 2. There should be good potentially starting ones available through R5. Have you guys read up on that kid from Buffalo, Awosika. I read that he may be the best run blocker in all the draft. Played OT, but sounds like may be OG at next level.

We certainly don't have to spend our limited cap money on the OL with so many in this draft, unless we end up using picks on RB, WR, and DE. I feel like if we get the very best 1 or even 2 CBs and 2/3 IOLs in draft, we will have most of our line on inexpensive rookie contracts for the next 4-5 years. Wouldn't it be better to get RB and WR from FA players who are experienced and would be better ready to step right in without having to spend a year or two getting prepared to be a starter?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He can't be considered versatile cause he just played few snaps in the nfl
If a young player doesn't show enough during practices at his original position then the coach can try him in a different one, maybe it pan out maybe not
The fact isnt considered a lock playing right tackle when the team doesn't have a decent one yet it means he didn't match kugler expectations

If Kugler, who trains Jones, says he's versatile (could play either tackle or guard) I'll take him at his word. And 'Jack of all trades doesn't mean master of none'.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is a great draft for IOL. Hope we get at least 2. There should be good potentially starting ones available through R5. Have you guys read up on that kid from Buffalo, Awosika. I read that he may be the best run blocker in all the draft. Played OT, but sounds like may be OG at next level.

We certainly don't have to spend our limited cap money on the OL with so many in this draft, unless we end up using picks on RB, WR, and DE. I feel like if we get the very best 1 or even 2 CBs and 2/3 IOLs in draft, we will have most of our line on inexpensive rookie contracts for the next 4-5 years. Wouldn't it be better to get RB and WR from FA players who are experienced and would be better ready to step right in without having to spend a year or two getting prepared to be a starter?
I disagree. I think a rookie rb and Wr can have a faster immediate impact than an o-lineman. I look at Jefferson and CEe Dee lamb. How about Taylor in Indy, Helaire in KC or two years ago, Jacob’s. Jmho.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree. I think a rookie rb and Wr can have a faster immediate impact than an o-lineman. I look at Jefferson and CEe Dee lamb. How about Taylor in Indy, Helaire in KC or two years ago, Jacob’s. Jmho.
Then you realize Jefferson’s team has a bad OLine that has held them back, CeeDee’s OLine regressed heavily & was constantly injured, Helaire pretty much being a waste of a pick for KC & their OLine being their downfall in the SB, & Jacobs regressing after his rookie year(which the same could happen to Taylor).

OL should be first & foremost in everyone’s mind.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you realize Jefferson’s team has a bad OLine that has held them back, CeeDee’s OLine regressed heavily & was constantly injured, Helaire pretty much being a waste of a pick for KC & their OLine being their downfall in the SB, & Jacobs regressing after his rookie year(which the same could happen to Taylor).

I agree. What I’m saying is in this moment we need to upgrade our o-line today. Linsley does that. If we draft a lineman in round 1 and he flops or needs time to develop then we are in the same boat and eating another year of Kyler’s “ cheap “ contract.
I guess the real question is what do we currently have. If Galliard can truly step in at C then let’s sign a guard. If we have a guy on this roster that can step in at guard then go after Linsley.
When you have a dynamic qb hinting the need of help on the line it’s all you need to hear. But, I want experience today while grooming future players

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO one of Galliard or Jones needs to start next year. We can't afford to bring in 3 new bodies to start.

I hope we pull the trigger on the best Interior OLineman in free agency, get a starter out of those 2, and spend a pick in the first 3 rounds on O-line
This hits the nail on the head. A team drafts players believing( hoping) they will be contributors. We keep hearing how shocked everyone was that Jones was available last year. If that’s the case, and the evaluation is correct HE NEEDS TO BE A STARTER. If not it’s another failed draft pick.
Every missed pick is a setback. You can’t simply sign free agents to fill holes year after year. The cap won’t allow it without depleting other parts of the roster.
The Cards situation is directly tied to the success of this offense. As much as it has improved over the last two years it needs to get better. Unfortunately we need big help in the line. We need a rb and we need to true #2 Wr. If we can do that it doesn’t mean we will be in next years super bowl but it will make us a true contender for a playoff spot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

While I 100% agree with your last line, the bolded is a bit disingenuous when you consider they were missing both starting tackles.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I 100% agree with your last line, the bolded is a bit disingenuous when you consider they were missing both starting tackles.
True. Their starting OLine when healthy is sub-par overall to begin with though.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Jaycee & Vera-Tucker are gone, then I’m hoping for a massive trade back to draft Creed Humphrey.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If Jaycee & Vera-Tucker are gone, then I’m hoping for a massive trade back to draft Creed Humphrey.
Trading back does seem to be a viable option. I use the free mock draft generator at profootballnetwork which enables trades and I am usually pretty happy when I trade back in those scenarios.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Trading back does seem to be a viable option. I use the free mock draft generator at profootballnetwork which enables trades and I am usually pretty happy when I trade back in those scenarios.
I use it too (it’s addicting in fast mode). But I question their rankings of players and valuation of picks. I seem to almost hit the motherload with both.

for instance last draft I traded down twice to 20. It netted me the following:

20. Ja’marr chase, wr LSU
49. Asante samuel jr, CB FSU
51. Alim Mcneill, dt NCST
52. Landon Dickerson, C Alabama
79. Dylan Moses, LB Alabama
82. Quinn meirnerz, C Wis-Whitewater
242. Jonathan Cooper, edge Ohio state

seems kinda rich

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I use it too (it’s addicting in fast mode). But I question their rankings of players and valuation of picks. I seem to almost hit the motherload with both.

seems kinda rich
Maybe keim should hire me

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Wondering what player potentially available at #16 (12th best position player, if 4 QBs are off the board) that we couldn't use?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

seems kinda rich

But, but Ja'marr stayed in school. ;)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At 16 I feel like there is only 3 positions I would be interested in, in this order: CB, WR, OLB - pass rusher.

If the value is not there at those positions, we need to trade down.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave