Report: More than 6,500 migrant workers have died during Qatar's World Cup prep

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report: More than 6,500 migrant workers have died during Qatar's World Cup prep

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report...d-during-qatars-world-cup-prep-043412847.html

The report cites government data from the home nations of migrant workers, including India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. The data have been compiled since Qatar was awarded the World Cup in 2010, working out to an average of 12 deaths per week, according to the report.

FIFA awarded the World Cup to Qatar despite widespread concerns over human rights violations and treatment of migrant workers. Amnesty International has since documented conditions of workers being "exploited" and "subjected to forced labor."

"They can’t change jobs, they can’t leave the country, and they often wait months to get paid," a report from the human rights organization states.

Guardian estimate: Actual death toll 'considerably higher'

According to The Guardian, 2,711 workers from India, 1,641 from Nepal, 1,018 from Bangladesh, 824 from Pakistan and 557 from Sri Lanka have died working in Qatar since 2010. The Guardian estimates that the actual death toll of migrant workers is "considerably higher" since the data it cites is limited to the listed countries.

The nation with a population of less than 3 million is depending on 2 million migrant workers to man its labor force. The Philippines and Kenya are among other nations to send migrant workers to Qatar, according to the report.

The listed causes of death include electrocution, blunt injuries due to a fall from height and suicide. Most of the deaths are listed as "natural" while citing heart or respiratory failure, according to the report.

Daytime temperatures in Qatar can approach 120 degrees during the summer. Normally played in the summer, Qatar's World Cup will be held in November and December because of the oppressive heat.

More at the link: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report...d-during-qatars-world-cup-prep-043412847.html

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horrid almost slave-like working conditions in Qatar. Never should have been allowed to host.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Not surprised, this happened with burj Khalifa in the UAE as well. You know we see this in the USA and all across Europe as well with migrants and even domestic citizens of certain background still being treated poorly. Suddenly we are being critical of Qatar being corrupt, but treating migrant workers poorly, like slaves, is a global problem that is everywhere. So there is a lot of hypocrisy from my point of view. I will say with the unbearable heat in Qatar, and the economic divide from rich to poor, it does make it different. although they built a stadium in Glendale, AZ so if I were from the middle
East I would be raising that point that in the USA we do some crazy things and have our own problems too.

We should say that fifa are allowing this to happen for greed. They could have just awarded the World Cup to a country that already had the infrastructure,
But then again Middle eastern countries want to be included in football. They are spending a lot of money into the game. So yes it is about money.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not surprised, this happened with burj Khalifa in the UAE as well. You know we see this in the USA and all across Europe as well with migrants and even domestic citizens of certain background still being treated poorly. Suddenly we are being critical of Qatar being corrupt, but treating migrant workers poorly, like slaves, is a global problem that is everywhere. So there is a lot of hypocrisy from my point of view. I will say with the unbearable heat in Qatar, and the economic divide from rich to poor, it does make it different. although they built a stadium in Glendale, AZ so if I were from the middle
East I would be raising that point that in the USA we do some crazy things and have our own problems too.

We should say that fifa are allowing this to happen for greed. They could have just awarded the World Cup to a country that already had the infrastructure,
But then again Middle eastern countries want to be included in football. They are spending a lot of money into the game. So yes it is about money.

Yeah, no. If the WC happens in the USA, masses of migrant workers aren't going to die to prepare. If the WC was in Italy, they're not going to force migrant workers in flip flops and bare feet to run a freaking marathon for "morale" purposes. Qatar is a human rights morass. Say what you want about our past, many other places in the world (there are other places, especially in the Middle East, that ARE as bad as Qatar, granted) and ourselves do treat migrant workers poorly, but doing this, in this day and age? Not even close.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yeah, no. If the WC happens in the USA, masses of migrant workers aren't going to die to prepare. If the WC was in Italy, they're not going to force migrant workers in flip flops and bare feet to run a freaking marathon for "morale" purposes. Qatar is a human rights morass. Say what you want about our past, many other places in the world (there are other places, especially in the Middle East, that ARE as bad as Qatar, granted) and ourselves do treat migrant workers poorly, but doing this, in this day and age? Not even close.
I agree, I’m just saying there is a lot of hypocrisy going on with the way we treat migrants worldwide. They will always use that as a reason to justify their terrible treatment of their migrants who are basically being treated as slaves. I rambled a bit with my post, I want to be clear. I never think it is ok for the World Cup to stage an event without the infrastructure being in place first. Fifa should not be pressuring countries to build stadiums to meet a deadline, for the sake of hosting a 3 week tournament. Qatar makes 0 sense. I didn’t agree with what happened in Brazil 2014 either, it’s an absolute waste. Sometimes I wish I never watched this sport as to support such corruption as we see now....I’m glad fifa turned over their leadership but there’s still so much left to change. There are so many places in the world that already have stadiums in place.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave