Discipline has Plagued Kingsbury

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
ESPN just noted in an article about Kingsbury,”During his six seasons as a college head coach, the Red Raiders were among the most penalized teams in the nation, finishing in the bottom five for penalties in 2013 and 2014, and in the bottom 20 in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Texas Tech ranked 107 out of 128 Division I teams in 2015.”

Despite Keim’s recent pronouncement this would be solved; I wouldn’t count on it. Once again the Cards looked at Kingsbury’s offensive numbers, not his overall success. It’s hard for a team that keeps derailing itself to go very far. This points to an historic problem of maintaining sound discipline and control.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes...where’s Steve Wilks when you need him.

Yes penalties were a problem this year... but not the previous year. Every team evaluates, reevaluates and measures their deficiencies.

Where did we improve? Where did we decline? Kliff may not be the answer but it’s just a little to soon to give up on him. Jmho.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Never seen a below average college head coach get a job in the NFL as a head coach.

Mind numbing but thats what happens when you run a NFL team like a mom and pop shop and not a professional organization.
I think they run things pretty professionally... They host the first and only 24 hour vaccination location in our state which has actually been instrumental in the Fed Gov distributing more vaccine to AZ.

The Feds want to see efficient operations and State Farm Stadium was one of the first 24 hours sites in the country. Sure the state and health agencies are running the operation but there is still VERY heavy lifting out of the Cardinals Organization to make this happen.

Kingsbury might not be the right coach but I think we have the right owner (luckily). In due time we'll get a SB. Sticking with a coach trending up IS NOT running it like a mom and pop shop. Its the logical thing to do.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they run things pretty professionally... They host the first and only 24 hour vaccination location in our state which has actually been instrumental in the Fed Gov distributing more vaccine to AZ.

The Feds want to see efficient operations and State Farm Stadium was one of the first 24 hours sites in the country. Sure the state and health agencies are running the operation but there is still VERY heavy lifting out of the Cardinals Organization to make this happen.

Kingsbury might not be the right coach but I think we have the right owner (luckily). In due time we'll get a SB.

So u confirm that this franchise has more important goals then winning, certainly can't be attractive for new fans

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So u confirm that this franchise has more important goals then winning, certainly can't be attractive for new fans
lol how narrow minded. Its the offseason and there is room for other activities... Like you know, saving lives in your immediate community.

Outside of the obvious reasons this is a nice move, its not a bad way to win people over and create fans. Hell, my grandma had never seen the new stadium and she liked it when we got her 1st shot.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol how narrow minded. Its the offseason and there is room for other activities... Like you know, saving lives in your immediate community.

Outside of the obvious reasons this is a nice move, its not a bad way to win people over and create fans. Hell, my grandma had never seen the new stadium and she liked it when we got her 1st shot.

Ah ok sorry didn't know it, so less chance to get the vaccine for the resident people if there wasn't the state farm stadium and the permission of the ownership

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Kingsbury might not be the right coach but I think we have the right owner (luckily). In due time we'll get a SB. Sticking with a coach trending up IS NOT running it like a mom and pop shop. Its the logical thing to do.

I think what they are doing to help with getting people vaccinated is absolutely great however it has nothing to do with running an NFL team.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know what affording the stadium for COVID vaccinating has to do with Kingsbury's lack of discipline, but I do know that Kingsbury has shown his shortcomings as head coach. He is really over his head, as is shown week in and week out, but somehow pulled an 8-8 season out of an 10-6 or 11-5 possibility.

Much of that is due to a lack of discipline in the penalties, especially delay of game AFTER a timeout, etc. Coaching matters.

I don't care how many vaccinations are given at the stadium, that is commendable, but has NOTHING to do with the topic of the thread. KK has shown he is what he is, a subpar college coach who was given the reigns of an NFL team and was not ready for prime time. Couldn't even hire his own staff for crying out loud.

The OP was correct, I wouldn't count on it changing next year.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So we are saying lack of team discipline in college translates to the NFL. Hmmm, when it’s pay for performance maybe not so much.

Smart players are the key to great execution.

I found a way to make my marginal bosses look good.

Hire better players...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So we are saying lack of team discipline in college translates to the NFL. Hmmm, when it’s pay for performance maybe not so much.

Hire better players...

And stop being a pushover boss.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Hire better players...
If your contention is that being the most penalized team in the league isn’t a reflection of coaching I don’t know what to tell you other than you’re wrong you see it time again with coaching regime changes.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
interesting thing on the penalties:

two specific kinds were the outliers:

false starts on offense

pass interference on defense

if each of the above were average for league, the Cards would have been in the middle of the pack

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Update, I just read an article in the NYT that over 100 arenas, stadiums etc, across the country are to be used as mass vaccination sites, kind of dilutes Mike's generosity.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been one of my biggest complaints about KK. Zero discipline and no accountability.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of my biggest reasons for wanting to keep Kingsbury is that the people on here calling for his head were the same ones saying to get rid of Warner, Bowles and Arians while crying about getting rid of Wilks and Rosen and drafting Murray.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Two fg’s made and the lucky catch doesn’t happen...9-7 and playoffs.
My old mind tricks me sometimes but didn’t the second miss come after a coaching decision not to go for it on 4th and very short. Seems to me the running game thread on this site had numerous people urging him to go instead of depending on what had become an unreliable kicker. I call that coach’s decision, not just kicker error. In fact I think KK had just told us he was confident with this kicker.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My old mind tricks me sometimes but didn’t the second miss come after a coaching decision not to go for it on 4th and very short. Seems to me the running game thread on this site had numerous people urging him to go instead of depending on what had become an unreliable kicker. I call that coach’s decision, not just kicker error. In fact I think KK had just told us he was confident with this kicker.
This isn’t Arians. KK has never thrown anybody under the bus and I don’t expect that to change. Does that make him bad or lead to a lack of discipline? IDK. Honestly I remember something about we should have gone for it on 4th down. I even question many times we went for it, made it and I disagreed with him.
The two fg’s I was referring to was the 49 yarder that somehow came up short and the clear cut miss in the other game.
However, we are two years in on this plan. I was screaming for Wilks to be fired 3 games in. This club has improved inspire the shortcomings of this roster. We’re getting closer but until we have a complete roster I don’t think it’s quite fair to come to the conclusion that Kingsbury is a failure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose