Devon Kennard

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But Kennard is a post june 1 cut. $6,656,250
Pre june 1 it would only be $4,156,250

and 2.5 mio is really a bunch of money this season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Kennard is a post june 1 cut. $6,656,250
Pre june 1 it would only be $4,156,250

and 2.5 mio is really a bunch of money this season.

sure, but who are you going to have available in June that can make an impact for 6.6 million, as opposed to not having 4.1 million to spend when difference makers are still on the market?

OP
OP
JohnnyCakes

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
sure, but who are you going to have available in June that can make an impact for 6.6 million, as opposed to not having 4.1 million to spend when difference makers are still on the market?

June 1st cuts can be talented

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
like JonnyCakes says you can testinate them to be post june 1 cuts.

So basically cutting Kennard and Alford gives us 14 mio $

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think there will be plenty of teams in the same boat that will be cutting post June 1. This is going to be a wild offseason and some talented vets will be signing as quickly possibly for more reasonable deals relative to other years because of the limited cap. It will be like musical chairs and they wont want to be stuck with out a chair. I think there will be lots of one year deals and even more activity later in the offseason. I think it will be a buyers market and the teams that are patient will do well. No offseason activities will put everyone in the same boat so coming in later will have less impact on vets who know how to play the game but need to learn a new system. Its the rookies that will be tought to evaluate, enfold and educate.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Can't you just designate them a June 1st cut early, and start negotiating with a FA...and then everything is official after June 1st?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't you just designate them a June 1st cut early, and start negotiating with a FA...and then everything is official after June 1st?

No. You cut early, designate as pre June 1, and can use the savings in FA.

If after, the cap advantage is frozen until June 2 and can't be used in the prime FA period.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
No. You cut early, designate as pre June 1, and can use the savings in FA.

If after, the cap advantage is frozen until June 2 and can't be used in the prime FA period.

Right, but you can have deals in place for after June 1st. Does that not happen? Seems we always hear early on that someone will be cut, but it's designated as June 1st, thus not official until then...likewise, we hear of FA's coming to terms, but not having contracts final for a certain period of time.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right, but you can have deals in place for after June 1st. Does that not happen? Seems we always hear early on that someone will be cut, but it's designated as June 1st, thus not official until then...likewise, we hear of FA's coming to terms, but not having contracts final for a certain period of time.

I know of no examples. Do you?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know of no examples. Do you?

yeah... I’ve never heard of this.

I don’t think most guys want to wait months on end to get their next contract money either. Anything can happen any day that could kill a wink wink deal and the player would have to miss all of mini-camp if they aren’t signed until after the 1st. And any wink wink we’ll sign you... in three months deal probably is against the rules in the NFL also for trying to circumvent the salary cap.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah... I’ve never heard of this.

I don’t think most guys want to wait months on end to get their next contract money either. Anything can happen any day that could kill a wink wink deal and the player would have to miss all of mini-camp if they aren’t signed until after the 1st. And any wink wink we’ll sign you... in three months deal probably is against the rules in the NFL also for trying to circumvent the salary cap.

Precisely!

Player: 'You winked at me!"

GM: "Nah, had something in my eye."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you go...Specifically talks about releasing a player in the Spring, but designating as a June 1st cut, to allow the player catch on with another team early.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/06/the-nfls-post-june-1-cuts-explained#:~:text=The same rules applying to,spread out over two seasons.&text=Teams cannot designate post-June,of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

this article talks about how it’s beneficial for a player cut so he can get on another team and how it helps a team spread the cap hit, but it shows that the team doing the cutting is still hamstrung by a lower cap until June 1st at the beginning of FA.

it also gives no example of the wink wink deals that would be needed to agree to terms with a player who would then need to wait until June to be part of the team or receive any payment.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an article written by an agent...talking about closed door meetings with teams at the Combine, to start discussing his FA's...

https://www.nationalfootballpost.co...ournal/how-nfl-free-agency-really-works-2784/

this article doesn’t speak at all to the issue at hand as far as June 1st and having secret deals in place that would only get finalized after that date. It only talks about the dealings going on prior to FA starting. No one’s arguing that there isn’t negotiating going on before FA. We’re asking for examples of sought after FAs waiting to sign for months AFTER FA has started so a team could get a better hold of their cap room post June 1st cuts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose