Hornets @ Suns Wednesday game thread 2-24-2021

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty was upset with the defense.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

yeah... it’s what made me uneasy from the start. They were missing shots but they were all good shots and we were EN FUEGO early and then went cold.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ultimately, the difference in this game was they shot 93% from the free throw line while we shot 70%. Everything else is basically identical between the two teams tonight, fg attempts, fg%, ft attempts.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So, should I conform and start railing on him mercilessly like everyone else? That doesn’t add diversity to the conversation.
No. I don’t think you need “to do” anything. You can keep arguing he’s great and never address his flaws. And I’m not saying that to criticize you, I’m literally just saying it’s fine for you to do that. You do you. But claiming you’re not a homer for Ayton just seems to undermine your credibility in the discussion. And your lashing out at people who criticize Ayton isn’t much conducive to discussion.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you appear to be actively root for the guy to fail, you're gonna get called out. And I'm not sorry for it.

I feel like 95% of the criticism on Ayton is either embellished or complete bull. I can say with confidence that I know Ayton's game more than almost everyone on this board having watched almost every single game he's played in from college until now (and even some at Hillcrest). So when it seems like I'm "slavishly coming to his defense," I'm balancing the conversation. No one's talking about Booker's careless handling of the basketball, or how Bridges isn't a reliable perimeter defender anymore. Why? Because everyone perseverates over Ayton. I know his strenghs. I know his deficiencies. It's nearly impossible to make a comment on a positive play of his without the masses going, "YEAH, BUT WHAT ABOUT [insignificant detal]?!?" It's lowered the level of discourse on this board and primarily why I've largely avoided the Suns portion.

I digress. I have no one to blame but myself for jumping back into this tretcherous swamp.

this “treacherous swamp”... lol. Is this serious?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Telling me to “get off my high horse” while calling me a homer. Sweet

I present to thee, TJ v. the Board tonight, courtesy of Spaceballs:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I present to thee, TJ v. the Board tonight, courtesy of Spaceballs:

If you’re gonna hit me with a Mel Brooks movie, at least compare me to Sheriff Bart from Blazing Saddles.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ehh... Among top-ten teams, the Suns have by far the worst record against the bottom 14, per Sagarin.
True, but that means they’re likely outperforming the other top teams against better competition, right? They’ve just had greater volatility in their wins and losses.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
True, but that means they’re likely outperforming the other top teams against better competition, right?

Yes, more or less. Also, I misspoke before: Brooklyn is the other top-ten team that really struggles against the dregs.

They’ve just had greater volatility in their wins and losses.

Right, so the question is which set of games is the truer indicator: Their overperformance against good teams, or their underperformance against bad ones?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes, more or less. Also, I misspoke before: Brooklyn is the other top-ten team that really struggles against the dregs.

Right, so the question is which set of games is the truer indicator: Their overperformance against good teams, or their underperformance against bad ones?
I actually think it highlights a young team learning to win. But to my earlier point, with the list I provided, every team loses multiple games to lesser teams and don’t win every game “they’re supposed to win.”

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think it highlights a young team learning to win. But to my earlier point, with the list I provided, every team loses multiple games to lesser teams and don’t win every game “they’re supposed to win.”

agreed.

I also wonder if people have unreal expectations for this team. This team is a solid playoff contender, not a title contender. They’re too young, inexperienced and don’t have a third star needed to make them a title contender. So we’re good, but not great and that’s the type of team will lose to mediocre teams over the course of the season.

we just aren’t a title contending club yet. And it will be tough to become one based on the makeup of the team. But I’m pretty stoked where we are considering where we’ve been.

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, here in Charlotte they had this game as a loss. Going golfing out of town will be a nice drive except listening to sports radio.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Last night was one of those games where we 100% needed a dominant Ayton. He whiffed... yet again.
Shooting will come and go. And when it goes, Ayton NEEDS to step up and carry a bigger load.
Charlotte is not a “drug” team. They are better than their record suggests. That said, Ayton should’ve been dominant last night. I mean, he wasn’t facing Embid, or anyone close to that!
Our defense sucked for sure and Monty is all over that. But, Ayton could’ve and really should’ve made the difference last night. Bummer...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the video one can see Booker was clearly fouled on the arm as his shot fell short.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jazz beat the Lakers last night and OKC beat San Antonio as well so Suns missed a golden opportunity to improve their position in the standings.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ultimately, the difference in this game was they shot 93% from the free throw line while we shot 70%. Everything else is basically identical between the two teams tonight, fg attempts, fg%, ft attempts.

This is the math of it.

The other part is the Suns played terrible defense and still had a chance to win. Their lack of intensity on defense left a bad taste in my mouth.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh Booker, picks up a dumb foul, challenge won. Picks up another foul. Gets a T. I get its an emotional game, but man it gets the best of him a lot of times.

Ayton is a big wuss out there, I think the rest of the team doesn't want to feed him anymore. Sometimes he's open but they'd rather take the midrange or the floater.

It feels like we need more Nader and less Cam. Crowder and Cam are way too inconsistent. Bridges with his offensive game emerging, isn't that lock down guy anymore.

Monty let this get out of hand a few times, there is such a thing as momentum IMO and can be stopped with timely timouts.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you appear to be actively root for the guy to fail, you're gonna get called out. And I'm not sorry for it.

I feel like 95% of the criticism on Ayton is either embellished or complete bull. I can say with confidence that I know Ayton's game more than almost everyone on this board having watched almost every single game he's played in from college until now (and even some at Hillcrest). So when it seems like I'm "slavishly coming to his defense," I'm balancing the conversation. No one's talking about Booker's careless handling of the basketball, or how Bridges isn't a reliable perimeter defender anymore. Why? Because everyone perseverates over Ayton. I know his strenghs. I know his deficiencies. It's nearly impossible to make a comment on a positive play of his without the masses going, "YEAH, BUT WHAT ABOUT [insignificant detal]?!?" It's lowered the level of discourse on this board and primarily why I've largely avoided the Suns portion.

I digress. I have no one to blame but myself for jumping back into this tretcherous swamp.

You're right and you're wrong. Ayton does get attacked mercilessly here. Several posters go postal on every single aspect of his game and completely ignore the positive aspects. But if you are watching every game, there are nights when it's quite a challenge to do otherwise. He should be much better right now than he is. Some nights he shows us we're right in believing in him and some nights he just kills us with his lack of focus and aggression.

And it's a sure sign you've actually been avoiding the Suns portion (as you said) for quite some time if you don't think posters here do and have done the same with Booker. When things have gone poorly and on nights when Booker has been anything less than stellar, a few posters pick him apart like he's the worst player to ever step foot on the court. And Bridges gets judged almost as harshly.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the Suns bench would have the advantage last night and most nights.

However, the Hornets bench outscored the Suns bench by twenty, 54-34.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone wants another look at the foul on Booker on the final shot.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If anyone wants another look at the foul on Booker on the final shot.

I’m not aware of the rules and whether not Hayward touching the ball first negated a foul. Either way I’m surprised it wasn’t called in real time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose