Arizona Cardinals off season news Jan 25-Feb 25, 2021

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
That may work fine for the Krafts an Rooneys; the Cowboys have had huge problems with it. Mikey B went out there and landed us our worst coach ever. I'd love for him to appoint a real GM, sit back, and keep his nose out of football operations.
I agree 100%. What happened to the mantra of stay in your lane?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike Bidwill is not some hedge fund billionaire who bought himself a toy.

This has always been the family business with the vagaries that ensue.

Did you actually think that the Kraft's, the Rooney's, Mara/Tisch, etc., etc., don't involve themselves in their respective football operations, aren't briefed regularly, aren't the final word?

The GM serves at the owner's pleasure and an astute one always makes sure that he has a buy-in from the guy who signs the cheques.

There's a difference between being CEO and having oversight and being involved in the day to day decision making. It's one thing observing in the draft room as many do, it's another thing being sat at the head of the table running the show.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a difference between being CEO and having oversight and being involved in the day to day decision making. It's one thing observing in the draft room as many do, it's another thing being sat at the head of the table running the show.

What does that mean?

Do you actually think that MB is making the draft calls?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What does that mean?

Do you actually think that MB is making the draft calls?

I think he's heavily involved in the process. He's in the conversation and if he's involved he's influencing it. Otherwise why is he there?

He's certainly heavily involved in HC hiring to the point nobody knew who the Wilks hire was on (largely believed to be Bidwill).

If you have a Sales Director, the CEO shouldn't be involved in any sales. Even the annual "Larry will sort his deal with Mike" I find highly distasteful.

Owner
|
|
GM
|
|
Football Operations

The owner shouldn't be involved in anything that is the GM's responsibility. Whether that's hiring coaches, signing FA's, renewing deals or the draft.

I once worked for a company that was highly successful with an owner that just let us crack on with it. I worked there 2 years and it made him a crap tonne of money and we barely saw him.

Then other projects he had on finished or failed and he was in the business every day. It went to hell within years and was bust within 5. When business owners without all the years of hard work learning the trade start interfering nothing good happens.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
that quote out of Mike might be the biggest positive news for the Cards in a while.... he's showing his edge and competitive spirit. thats gotta be worth something in the long run and we've probably already seen that effect the Win/Loss column in his time leading the ship.

I think we get a superbowl under Mikes direction. hopefully within the next decade because I think we can do it with K1. not sure about the coaching staff and GM though.

fortunately Michael has shown his patience is limited (quickly moving from Wilkes disaster plus these comments about GM and Coach on hot seat).

I like that he's saying it, without all the baggage of a meddlesome owner. If this was Snyder or Jerra, the media would all over it...would be interviewing KK about his job being on the line, etc. I like that Mike is saying this now...and I'm 100% sure that Keim and KK have heard the message.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like that he's saying it, without all the baggage of a meddlesome owner. If this was Snyder or Jerra, the media would all over it...would be interviewing KK about his job being on the line, etc. I like that Mike is saying this now...and I'm 100% sure that Keim and KK have heard the message.
he needs to find that sweet spot of being involved enough but not overstepping GM and HC. sounds like there were reports of him being too involved in the Wilkes hiring. hopefully Mike is stepping back a bit but still holding clear and firm expectations of results.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That may work fine for the Krafts an Rooneys; the Cowboys have had huge problems with it. Mikey B went out there and landed us our worst coach ever. I'd love for him to appoint a real GM, sit back, and keep his nose out of football operations.

I don't know fully why we place Wilks at Mike's feet, but it does seem like he was Mike's choice.

Maybe it's because he did most of the talking after Wilks hiring.

The most annoying aspect of the Wilks era was his firing; when the media took the Cardinals to task for firing him, it was plainly the right move by ANYONE who watched that team.

My biggest concern is that Mike still doesn't have the chops to recognize good football people. I'm more bullish on Kliff than some, but he might be a high quality offensive coordinator masquarading as a head coach.

And Keim has probably been given too many chances...I place alot of the current problems at his feet. There is just too little young talent at some positions and they won't have the cash to fix those positions the right way this offseason without a big stroke of fortune.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I don't know fully why we place Wilks at Mike's feet, but it does seem like he was Mike's choice.

Maybe it's because he did most of the talking after Wilks hiring.

The most annoying aspect of the Wilks era was his firing; when the media took the Cardinals to task for firing him, it was plainly the right move by ANYONE who watched that team.

My biggest concern is that Mike still doesn't have the chops to recognize good football people. I'm more bullish on Kliff than some, but he might be a high quality offensive coordinator masquarading as a head coach.

And Keim has probably been given too many chances...I place alot of the current problems at his feet. There is just too little young talent at some positions and they won't have the cash to fix those positions the right way this offseason without a big stroke of fortune.

To me the biggest validation of firing Wilks is I don't think he's even sniffed another HC interview since.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Any rumblings on Larry Fitzgerald's status? It seems like in previous years he would have answered that age old question posed by The Clash by now.. "Should I Stay or Should I Go?"

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To me the biggest validation of firing Wilks is I don't think he's even sniffed another HC interview since.

for me, the team’s performance was validation of the highest order.

For Cardinals Head coaches it’s one and done mostly. Arians and Whisenhunt rehired as nfl head coaches, any others since they flew west?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
for me, the team’s performance was validation of the highest order.

For Cardinals Head coaches it’s one and done mostly. Arians and Whisenhunt rehired as nfl head coaches, any others since they flew west?
Joe Bugel with the Raiders.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
What does this mean?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson