The Market 2021

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely looks like a sell off of large cap growth. Much needed in my opinion.

I'm really happy with the decision I made a couple weeks ago in my retirement accounts. I decreased my large cap growth exposure and increased large cap value, small cap, and international.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely looks like a sell off of large cap growth. Much needed in my opinion.

I'm really happy with the decision I made a couple weeks ago in my retirement accounts. I decreased my large cap growth exposure and increased large cap value, small cap, and international.

probably smarter than what I did but I'm glad I did something.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I don't mess with my IRA very often, tend to let things ride--it's going to hit a dip but I expect most of the tech holdings I have like Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Salesforce & Google to bounce back even stronger in the long run. I won't attempt to time anything. Right now though it's been hit hard.

My 401K has such limited amount of offerings but a few months back I did rotate a bit from the S&P 500 fund to the DWCPF fund...the S&P fund has returned 13.8% the past 6 months and the DWCPF 40.1% over the same period so it's been a good decision.

My taxable account however is heavy in value with more emphasis on small & mid cap and it has been handling the sell off much better.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Value is definitely the area that will handle this pullback the best. Growth/value ratios have been toppy to say the least over the past few months or so on my charts. So this shift was inevitable and one that will likely continue for some time imo. International is definitely one I might look into for my 401k when I'm ready to get back into stocks.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely not thrilled with the amount of volatility building in the vix..haven't been for awhile. The dip buyers could potentially get some pies to the face.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For some perspective, the NASDAQ is only down about 7% from its high and has still not hit it's low for the year which was in January at 12,985. We haven't even hit correction territory yet in that index.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought Crowdstrike I think Thur or Fri. I knew they were going before Congress soon but everything I'd read indicated it wasn't really their issue the Solar Winds stuff was done and they actually tried to hack Crowdstrike and failed, even Microsoft who warned CS of the attempted hack confirmed CS has blocked it. I had bought and sold them before and figured this was a good time to get back in. They're down about 10% since I bought them because of the tech drop and because they're in front of Congress and even though they actually performed well against the hack, people aparently saw brought before Congress, panicked and sold.

If I had more money free right now I'd be tempted to buy more but I won't.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
It's a blood bath out there folks. Godspeed to anyone who needs to buy 3 bedroom home in Gilbert.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It's a blood bath out there folks. Godspeed to anyone who needs to buy 3 bedroom home in Gilbert.

Gah, not what I want to hear since I'd like to buy before long. Three houses on my street up for for sale now all way over in price what they're worth. Can we ban Californians from moving here already so that the bubble will pop? I need to beat my work up a little more on letting my team work remote permanently (we've done great with it for the last year now) so that I can buy an acre or two in the middle of nowhere to build exactly what I want.

Good luck on your place!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Today is a good bounce back day in the market, several of my holdings have hit 52 week highs as of this morning. I guess the rally really started late in the day yesterday but it seems to be carrying over.

My fixed income holdings are taking a hit though.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today is a good bounce back day in the market, several of my holdings have hit 52 week highs as of this morning. I guess the rally really started late in the day yesterday but it seems to be carrying over.

My fixed income holdings are taking a hit though.

I was concerned Jay Powell talking was going to kill the markets but doesn't seem like it. He's testifying before Congress today

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I was concerned Jay Powell talking was going to kill the markets but doesn't seem like it. He's testifying before Congress today

He actually spoke yesterday too and after he finished things started to rally. It really is amazing how fragile the psyche of the market is that it swings on his every word.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah. The real estate market is just insane in AZ. I think our home is up 20-25% in the last year according to Zillow.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The housing market around Toronto is nuts as well. Torontonians are the Californians in this scenario, moving to suburbs, smaller regional cities, rural areas, and the east coast. It’s been a renter’s market in the city for the first time in years and has affected the rent vs. buy equation. We are actually considering going against the trend because of this (and for life reasons that make it attractive).

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
GME is going off again. Closed up 104% for the day and was up an additional 100% in after hours trading. Coming back down now.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
GME is going off again. Closed up 104% for the day and was up an additional 100% in after hours trading. Coming back down now.
No coincidence it settled right back around the 40 level on the pullback either. That was a sound support level going all the way to (strangely) it's top in 2008 before the GFC.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh, its not over. They halted trading the last 20 minutes of the day on GME and all investment services halted after hours trading. Tomorrow we feast.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
oh, its not over. They halted trading the last 20 minutes of the day on GME and all investment services halted after hours trading. Tomorrow we feast.
Oof. Sounds like we might have a blame the retail guy story again for msm if it skyrockets and tanks the market. Fascinating.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They have no shame. Charlie Munger on tv said he thinks it's a dirty way to make money and we should not allow it. He was blaming the people like Robinhood for allowing "gamblers. People with a racetrack mentality" to do these short squeezes.
Why is it ok for rich people to do it all the time but when they suddenly realize THIS time they're the mark, it's dirty?

I hope you and others clean up tomorrow and Friday in GME but my fear is they will just keep halting the stock like they did before.
munger said the problem is the Clearinghouses have to clear all these trades and sometimes when it gets crazy that's not that easy to do. It's not the short squeezers making it crazy, it's all the short SELLERS trying to buy the stock so they can cover their short. THEY are the ones who took the gamble.

I really hope they don't get away with it a 2nd time, if by now people get caught in a short squeeze in GME, that's their fault.

I hope the stock doubles or triples tomorrow!!!!