Trail Blazers @ Suns Monday game thread 2-22-2021

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns return home for two games against the Portland Trail Blazers on Monday and Charlotte Hornets on Wednesday.

Trail Blazers are 18-11 after losing to the Wizards on Saturday 118-111. Portland is 8-2 in their last ten games.

Suns are 19-10 fresh off wins over the Pelicans and Grizzlies. They are 8-2 in their last ten games as well.

Phoenix is 4th in the Western Conference standings and Portland is 5th so the game is of utmost importance to both teams.

The game will be televised on FSAZ.

Start time is listed at 7 p.m. Arizona time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one is listed on the Suns injury report.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
EJ was mentioning this is a VERY big game. I know from a standings viewpoint they can catch us. I know in the days of Bartkley, EJ, TC, etc, the players would try and send a message by beating teams really badly in a regular season game. I don't hear modern players thinking that way. It seems like it is just another regular season game to modern players, and the playoffs are a whole separate thing to the modern player.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Biggest game of the season. We need this one. Im expecting playoffs lvls of energy from the "fellas".

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nets beat the Clippers tonight for their sixth straight win.

Clippers and Suns both have 10 losses but they have three more wins.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No CJ, but theyve been winning anyway. Suns at home and suns favored. Pretty lite rest of the scheduled games after this one with the exception of the lakeshow - AD

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Really hope this team hasn’t become a team that solely loves and does by the three... During this recent hot streak, they have played better defensively - which really spurred their comeback and crazy 4th quarter against New Orleans, but they’ve also been off the charts great from beyond the arc. What happens when those shots don’t fall? Can they win in other ways? Against top-tier teams who will defend better?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Blazers have had the Suns number for a while but so has Memphis and we didn't let that become an issue. Hopefully this team can show Portland they aren't going to be their punching bag anymore.

I also hope they can make some moves in the standings to get to #3 because finishing 4th and facing the Blazers in a 7 game series doesn't sound fun.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really hope this team hasn’t become a team that solely loves and does by the three... During this recent hot streak, they have played better defensively - which really spurred their comeback and crazy 4th quarter against New Orleans, but they’ve also been off the charts great from beyond the arc. What happens when those shots don’t fall? Can they win in other ways? Against top-tier teams who will defend better?

It's a good question. When the Suns play good defense and move the ball they seem to get better shots. When their offense bogs down, not so much. When the Suns are getting their hands on ball defensively, they are that much better.

Starting Frank Kaminsky has helped the Suns, perhaps because they match up better with the opponents starters. Suns almost need two seven footers in their starting lineup as they don't have a prototypical power forward.

On most nights it seems like I'm waiting for the Suns bench to help the Suns pull away. They tend to wear the opponent down by the 4th quarter.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Blazers have had the Suns number for a while but so has Memphis and we didn't let that become an issue. Hopefully this team can show Portland they aren't going to be their punching bag anymore.

I also hope they can make some moves in the standings to get to #3 because finishing 4th and facing the Blazers in a 7 game series doesn't sound fun.

I like the Suns bench over the Portland bench but we shall see. The Trail Blazers were missing a bunch of players on last report like Nurkic, McCollum and Collins.

Lillard, Trent and Kanter have carried much of the load for the Trail Blazers offensively and Covington has been a pillar defensively.

If the Suns can keep winning the standings should take care of themselves but it will be hard to overcome the Clippers for 3rd in the West. I'm not even thinking about overcoming the Lakers but injuries could hurt them.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the Suns bench over the Portland bench but we shall see. The Trail Blazers were missing a bunch of players on last report like Nurkic, McCollum and Collins.

Lillard, Trent and Kanter have carried much of the load for the Trail Blazers offensively and Covington has been a pillar defensively.

If the Suns can keep winning the standings should take care of themselves but it will be hard to overcome the Clippers for 3rd in the West. I'm not even thinking about overcoming the Lakers but injuries could hurt them.

You really don't think the suns can pass the Clippers or the Lakers with AD out?

I think they can pass both if things go right.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really don't think the suns can pass the Clippers or the Lakers with AD out?

I think they can pass both if things go right.

I think if the Suns concentrate on winning the standings will take care of itself. Sure it's possible to pass the Clippers and Lakers, that's one of the reasons I watch the standings, but mostly it's to see where the teams are behind the Suns.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Plus lillard is basically like suns booker he can go off any time fun to watch

Should be a good gm

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think that they have the best player.
I think that we have the best team.

It's anyone's guess how this one turns out. Should be fun!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trail Blazers coach Terry Stotts says Chris Paul and Devin Booker are the two keys for the Suns offense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty on Damian Lillard and the Trail Blazers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank Kaminsky continues to start for Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gina Mizell was on Suns pre-game. I get the impression she writes for suns.com. Good for her.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting ready for tipoff.