Movie-A-Day #176: The Silence of the Lambs

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A psychopath known as Buffalo Bill is kidnapping and murdering young women across the midwest. Believing it takes one to know one, the F.B.I. sends Agent Clarice Starling (Foster) to interview a demented prisoner who may provide psychological insight and clues to the killer's actions. The prisoner is psychiatrist, Dr. Hannibal Lector (Hopkins), a brilliant, murderous cannibal who will only help Starling if she feeds his morbid curiosity with details about her own complicated life. This twisted relationship forces Starling not only to confront her psychological demons, but leads her to face with a demented, heinous killer, an incarceration of evil so powerful, that she may not have the courage -- or strength -- to stop him! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102926/plotsummary

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember back in 1991, my mom would not let me watch this movie. Granted I was 7 years old at the time. :) Anyway, this movie creeps me out - still to this day.

I love this movie because of the plot and the relationship between Clarice and Hannibal Lector. Dr. Lector is a freaking nutjob, but in a small way, in my opinion, he's this fatherly figure to Clarice (in the most warped sense of the word of course).

The other plot about Buffalo Bill is secondary to the interplay between Clarice and Dr. Lector.

Anyway, it's just a really creeped out movie. :thumbup:

Stefan, I expect a 3 page review of your likes and dislikes about this movie ok :)

Attachments

• 60m.jpg
    60m.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 74

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
A very well done suspense movie with some damn good acting, especially by Hopkins. He and Foster seemed to have very good chemistry.

The only one of the "Lector" trilogy, which they adapted well from the book (although I call it a trilogy Hannibal Lector was only in Red Dragon briefly). Hollywood screwed up the other 2 badly ... they were pretty good movies but I'm just wondering where in the heck did they come up with some of the changes from the book to the films (changed plot lines, endings, etc.).

Nice pick.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether I saw Silence of the Lambs or Red Dragon.

Whichever one I saw was good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
I'm not sure whether I saw Silence of the Lambs or Red Dragon.

Whichever one I saw was good.

Must of been Silence. Red Dragon wasn't very good.

You just have to remember, that in Red Dragon and Silence, Hannibal Lector was NOT the villain (at least not at first). The difference is that Silence had Jodie Foster, and Red Dragon had Edward Norton.

And don't get me started on Hannibal... :mad:

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silence is one of the very few times, in my opinion, where the movie is better than the book.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved this movie - I've got the Collector's Edition and the Criterion Edition on DVD. Great flick and pretty scary too. I still love Manhunter probably the best out of all three (or four) movies. I think they did a good job in re-doing Manhunter with Red Dragon - but Manhunter stills creeps me out. Hannibal was "eh" - they could have done a better job with it in my opinion.

Jody Foster was awesome as the FBI agent - I wish she would have returned for Hannibal, might have helped it a bit.

Who can top Anthony Hopkins? Dude is a great, great actor and he made Hannibal.

Shawn

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 30 years old the social impact of the film endures, especially in the trans community.

The movie version of The Silence of the Lambs just turned 30 years old, and even setting aside all the fava beans and chianti jokes, it’s not a stretch to call the 1991 horror movie about an epicurean cannibal and the young FBI agent he mentors in the hunt for a serial killer one of the most important films ever made.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2228154...s-cultural-impact-legacy-feminist-transphobia

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
My daughter is 14 and mom just gave us the green light to start watching R rated horror/suspense films. She's been wanting to see this one, so I suspect I'll be watching it soon. I'm excited because it's probably been at least 20 years since I've seen it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave