Thought Exercise on Haason Reddick vs other FA's

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Curtis Samuel would be a great addition, didn't show yet his potential, still 24, and he is the dynamic player who can get some yards after the catch
He won't ask too much, so I would sign him for 10/year

His first three years were pretty pedestrian under Rivera and he didn't shine until Ruhle took over the helm in Carolina. Pretty much tells me he needs a certain system to be a productive player and the big question becomes does Kliff's system work toward Samuel's strengths.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
How sick would it feel to sign another WR for 10+ mil after having drafted four in the past three drafts, including two in the second round?

Being great at drafting matters, Steve Keim.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How sick would it feel to sign another WR for 10+ mil after having drafted four in the past three drafts, including two in the second round?

Being great at drafting matters, Steve Keim.
Even if recently u did invest some draft picks on that unit doesn't mean u have to stick with them and not solving the problem

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Even if recently u did invest some draft picks on that unit doesn't mean u have to stick with them and not solving the problem
I don’t think TJ is saying don’t fix it but rather what a shame it is that we will have to remedy Keim’s waste of high draft capital with additional cap capital. And he’s right. You typically spend one to avoid having to spend the other. To get two good wrs he’d have spent 5 draft picks (3 of which were 2nd rounders when you count having to trade for hop) and a ton of cap room on hop and whomever we signed. That’s a failure in team building.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don’t think TJ is saying don’t fix it but rather what a shame it is that we will have to remedy Keim’s waste of high draft capital with additional cap capital. And he’s right. You typically spend one to avoid having to spend the other. To get two good wrs he’d have spent 5 draft picks (3 of which were 2nd rounders when you count having to trade for hop) and a ton of cap room on hop and whomever we signed. That’s a failure in team building.
That’s exactly what I was trying to say. Draft we’ll and you won’t have to spend eight figures on a free agent.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to flog the JuJu Smith-Schuster vs. Curtis Samuel debate a bit more, here's what the Sheil Kapadia, whose articles i almost always find enlightening, has to say about them in today's NFL free agency WR rankings article. I also included more detail on Corey Davis, who seems more appealing after reading this write-up, and highlighted a few other guys i wouldn't mind seeing the Cardinals bring in for various roles (emphasis added by me):

Tier 1: Empty out the wallet
These are players who can expect to find deals at the top of the market for their position.

1. Allen Robinson, Chicago Bears (28)
2. Chris Godwin, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (25)

Tier 2: Just a notch below
These are players who are likely to find big paydays as No. 1 or No. 2 wide receivers but might not be quite at the top of the market.

3. Kenny Golladay, Detroit Lions (27)

JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pittsburgh Steelers (24)
He has a different skill set and will serve a different role than the three receivers already mentioned. Smith-Schuster lined up in the slot 74.6 percent of the time last year. He had 97 catches for 831 yards and nine touchdowns and is a great option to work the middle, intermediate part of the field. Smith-Schuster also brings a toughness that teams will find appealing. He entered the league at a young age and will be just 24 at the start of next season, meaning Smith-Schuster could just now be entering his prime. Players like Robert Woods, Adam Thielen and Cooper Kupp received contracts in the neighborhood of $16 million per year. That seems like a reasonable floor for any potential deal with Smith-Schuster.

5. Corey Davis, Tennessee Titans (26)
Davis is coming off of a career year in which he had 65 catches for 984 yards and five touchdowns in 14 games. He hasn’t lived up to his draft slot (taken fifth in 2017), and the Titans declined his fifth-year option, but Davis is still young and offers the floor of an above-average No. 2 wide receiver. Teams could easily talk themselves into him having a No. 1 wide receiver ceiling and putting up bigger numbers in a pass-heavy offense. The advanced numbers are kind to Davis. He averaged 2.7 yards per route run in the regular season, which ranked fourth behind only Davante Adams, A.J. Brown and Justin Jefferson.

Tier 3: Starting-caliber options
These are players who are unlikely to be viewed as No. 1 options but definitely project as starters. Players in this tier will likely find deals that pay between $8 million and $12 million per season.

6. Will Fuller, Houston Texans (27)

7. Curtis Samuel, Carolina Panthers (25)

For a while, the idea of Samuel was better than the actual player. But in 2020, he set career highs with 77 catches for 851 yards. And Samuel was much more efficient than he had been previously, catching 79.4 percent of his targets and ranking 20th out of 78 qualifying wide receivers in yards per route run. The Panthers used Samuel as a ballcarrier, too — he had 41 carries for 200 yards. With the right offensive coach, Samuel is a really fun player. With the wrong one, he could be a bust. But he produced his career season at the perfect time to get paid, and his speed and versatility will be attractive to a lot of teams.

8. Nelson Agholor, Raiders (28)
9. T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis Colts (31)
10. Marvin Jones, Detroit Lions (31)

Tier 4: Fringe starters/wild cards
These are players who could potentially land starting jobs if things fall their way. This tier includes players who could have to settle for one-year deals or may be viewed as rotational options.

11. Sammy Watkins, Kansas City Chiefs (28)
12. Antonio Brown, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (33)
13. Rashard Higgins, Cleveland Browns (26)
14. Josh Reynolds, Los Angeles Rams (26)
15. Kendrick Bourne, San Francisco 49ers (26)
16. Tyrell Williams, Las Vegas Raiders (29)
17. Breshad Perriman, New York Jets (28)
18. Keelan Cole, Jacksonville Jaguars (28)
19. Danny Amendola, Detroit Lions (35)
20. A.J. Green, Cincinnati Bengals (33)
21. Willie Snead, Baltimore Ravens (28)
22. Dede Westbrook, Jacksonville Jaguars (27)

23. Larry Fitzgerald Arizona Cardinals (37)

It’s unclear whether the future Hall of Famer will return for an 18th year or retire. Fitzgerald set career lows last season with 54 catches for 409 yards and 7.6 yards per reception. He ranked 76th out of 78 qualifying wide receivers in yards per route run. Fitzgerald played a career-low 66 percent of the snaps last season, but if he returned he would likely be looking at an even more reduced role.

Tier 5: Depth/special teams options [skipped]
Tier [6]: Fighting for a roster spot [skipped]
Back to Smith-Schuster vs. Samuel... the article makes clear the relative difference in their perceived values, but also their expected costs, which basically eliminate JuJu as a potential Cardinal. But from the perspective of a "thought exercise" where he's available for $10M/year... he'd be the superior choice!

...dave

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Just to flog the JuJu Smith-Schuster vs. Curtis Samuel debate a bit more, here's what the Sheil Kapadia, whose articles i almost always find enlightening, has to say about them in today's NFL free agency WR rankings article. I also included more detail on Corey Davis, who seems more appealing after reading this write-up, and highlighted a few other guys i wouldn't mind seeing the Cardinals bring in for various roles (emphasis added by me):

Back to Smith-Schuster vs. Samuel... the article makes clear the relative difference in their perceived values, but also their expected costs, which basically eliminate JuJu as a potential Cardinal. But from the perspective of a "thought exercise" where he's available for $10M/year... he'd be the superior choice!

...dave
I would disagree a bit. I believe the versatility and speed of Samuel fits the Cardinals offensive needs better. I don't believe we need someone to specifically work the middle of the field. I believe we need someone to work bubble screens. I feel we need someone to work vertically across from Hopkins to force S's to make decisions. I feel we need speed to open up Hopkins to work across the middle of the field. I feel we need someone to run end-around plays with.

An argument is to be made that our offense is stagnant because, outside of Hopkins, we lack WRs with versatility. Curtis Samuel makes our offense more versatile without needing to sub different players in and out. IMO, JuJu is just a younger and faster version of what Fitz currently does which is not very versatile at all.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would disagree a bit. I believe the versatility and speed of Samuel fits the Cardinals offensive needs better. I don't believe we need someone to specifically work the middle of the field. I believe we need someone to work bubble screens. I feel we need someone to work vertically across from Hopkins to force S's to make decisions. I feel we need speed to open up Hopkins to work across the middle of the field. I feel we need someone to run end-around plays with.

An argument is to be made that our offense is stagnant because, outside of Hopkins, we lack WRs with versatility. Curtis Samuel makes our offense more versatile without needing to sub different players in and out. IMO, JuJu is just a younger and faster version of what Fitz currently does which is not very versatile at all.
This.

Juju might be a better fit over Samuel for other teams, but definitely not this team. We don’t need another slow WR to go with our other slow WRs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

...dave

With Samuel it's purely a scheme thing. We obviously lack speed and he has it. JuJu definitely does not. Juju is also a slot guy. Samuel can do both. It's just fit.

Plus I think he's going to be great value. I can see him getting 1000 yards in the right scheme and he's only 24. A true WR2 with a bunch of WR1 upside.