Who could the Suns add to the roster that would help?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the trade deadline is March 25th. Suns really need to add a power forward to play next to Ayton.

Suns need more size on offense and defense. For now Kaminsky or Saric may have to play beside him to prevent the collapse the Suns had against the Nets. I hope someone becomes available.

The success the Suns had playing Kaminsky next to Ayton was not a fluke.

Perhaps Jalen Smith might help later is the season but that's a lot to ask of a rookie.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. Ayton is the only guy on the roster who has the strength to really bang down low. Why did we ever let Richaun Holmes walk? And for what he got from the Kings? Dumb.

because he was an idiot by all accounts

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
whats funny now is they're aren't even testing for that now, and its legal in this state now.

wasn’t just that he had character issues he was part of the that teams immaturity.

there’s a reason a guy that night and athletic didn’t have many teams after him

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team is already so deep. It seems like we need a true sixth man though

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

looked like Cam was going to be that guy at the beginning of the season but he’s been really inconsistent after the hot start.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looked like Cam was going to be that guy at the beginning of the season but he’s been really inconsistent after the hot start.

Payne has a shot at it but he is more of a Barbosa type than anything. The problem with that is he needs to ball to do it while our best facilitator is Dario.

So those two together kind of negate each other.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Man, I still think we need another stout big man. Outside of Ayton and sometimes Saric, we really don't have significant length/rim protection.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I still think we need another stout big man. Outside of Ayton and sometimes Saric, we really don't have significant length/rim protection.

Every time we have given up a big lead it's because the ball gets stuck on the perimeter. Someone dribbling too long and jacking up a 3. Maybe another real big man helps that but ball handling / penetration seem to be larger issues on the bench. It's why Moore is getting so many minutes now because at least he can facilitate a little

These guys all play on the perimeter.

Saric - Best Passer very little penetration. Mid range guy
Payne - Ball Handler and 3 point shooter
Galloway - Spot up 3 point shooter
Kaminsky - Passer and 3 point shooter
Cam Johnson - 3 Point Shooter and some penetration.
Crowder - 3 point shooter

Nader - Only real slasher / attack the basket guy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time we have given up a big lead it's because the ball gets stuck on the perimeter. Someone dribbling too long and jacking up a 3. Maybe another real big man helps that but ball handling / penetration seem to be larger issues on the bench. It's why Moore is getting so many minutes now because at least he can facilitate a little

These guys all play on the perimeter.

Saric - Best Passer very little penetration. Mid range guy
Payne - Ball Handler and 3 point shooter
Galloway - Spot up 3 point shooter
Kaminsky - Passer and 3 point shooter
Cam Johnson - 3 Point Shooter and some penetration.
Crowder - 3 point shooter

Nader - Only real slasher / attack the basket guy.

all goes back to our offense being too dependent on the 3 ball and having no ability to adjust to a second gear because Ayton is afraid to do much of anything to create his own shot on offense.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all goes back to our offense being too dependent on the 3 ball and having no ability to adjust to a second gear because Ayton is afraid to do much of anything to create his own shot on offense.

Yeah Jones has built this team exactly like those old Olajuwon rockets teams but no inside attack the basket.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we make a trade then Javon Carter is most likely to be sent out. I don't want to see him dealt but he's the only guy who isn't on a minimum deal who isn't vital to the rotation. He's only making like 3.5 million so the return needs to be around that much. If we could add a big who can backup Ayton and score a few buckets inside then I'd be ok with it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we make a trade then Javon Carter is most likely to be sent out. I don't want to see him dealt but he's the only guy who isn't on a minimum deal who isn't vital to the rotation. He's only making like 3.5 million so the return needs to be around that much. If we could add a big who can backup Ayton and score a few buckets inside then I'd be ok with it.

I'm not sure Jevon Carter has any trade value unless the Suns add second round picks which they need to keep.

The Heat are missing Crowder. It's too bad they don't have a power forward I want other than Achiuwa.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Jevon Carter has any trade value unless the Suns add second round picks which they need to keep.

The Heat are missing Crowder. It's too bad they don't have a power forward I want other than Achiuwa.

I think he has some value but not a lot. He's on a good contract and is a gritty defender. However his value is probably that of a 2nd rounder and it would take attaching another to get a PF on a rookie deal.

Looking over teams kind of quickly I saw Willie CaulieStein made close to the same as Carter. A swap of those 2 would work but not sure if Dallas would be interested. Carter would pair well with Doncic, I think.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he has some value but not a lot. He's on a good contract and is a gritty defender. However his value is probably that of a 2nd rounder and it would take attaching another to get a PF on a rookie deal.

Looking over teams kind of quickly I saw Willie CaulieStein made close to the same as Carter. A swap of those 2 would work but not sure if Dallas would be interested. Carter would pair well with Doncic, I think.

It's hard to see Phoenix and Dallas trying to help each other. The Suns may have to hope someone gets waived. They might have to use their BAE to sign them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to see Phoenix and Dallas trying to help each other. The Suns may have to hope someone gets waived. They might have to use their BAE to sign them.

When it comes to bench or end of the rotation players, I don't think teams worry about helping each other much, if at all. Its a matter of how much the addition helps them. Dallas needs more than one good defender though so its unlikely they make a deal like that.

I would be surprised if they use the BAE on someone. Anyone still out there isn't worth it. Plus we would have to waive someone to fit them in, which means we're on the hook for a minimum salary right there. Sarver is too cheap to open up the checkbook to pay someone more than the minimum this late and pay someone else the minimum to walk away. Our best bet is watching the G League for a two way candidate.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it comes to bench or end of the rotation players, I don't think teams worry about helping each other much, if at all. Its a matter of how much the addition helps them. Dallas needs more than one good defender though so its unlikely they make a deal like that.

I would be surprised if they use the BAE on someone. Anyone still out there isn't worth it. Plus we would have to waive someone to fit them in, which means we're on the hook for a minimum salary right there. Sarver is too cheap to open up the checkbook to pay someone more than the minimum this late and pay someone else the minimum to walk away. Our best bet is watching the G League for a two way candidate.

About all we can do is watch the waiver wire and see what happens. It's hard to see a trade that make sense at the moment.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Richaun Holmes ($5 million) and Nemanja Bjelica ($7.5 million) are on expiring contracts with the Kings.

I particularly like Holmes. Wish the Suns had something reasonable to offer the Kings they would want.

Perhaps it's possible they waive Bjelica.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team needs another Center so Monty can bench Ayton when he's loafing around on the floor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose