Keim: Possibility that CJ is getting cut? "I'll reject that"

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
No chance they’ll cut or trade him. I think they’ll wait to see how he starts the season before considering an extension. It will be tough for him if Phillips doesn’t bounce back and the Cards don’t get a rushing threat opposite Jones.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will absolutely extend him to create cap space. It's one of the only practical ways to improve this off season

Yep. His contract is one of the easiest ways they can lower their cap.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Moves to enable the Cardinals to create cap space.

Pre League year cuts

Cut Alford - 7.5 mil.

Extend Humphries...He counts for 19 mil. Extending him and additional 3 year would help lower that easily.

Extend Chandler Jones. 20 mil cap hit. I am sure you could convince him to extend two or three years at a lower hit. Probably cut that 20 mil to 10, and save 0 mil doing so.

With Pugh you can convert his base salary to a bonus and then save 3.875 in 2021. You can cut him before the new league year and save 7.1 mil or after the new league year and save 9.1 mil.

With Hicks there just isn't a ton to do. You could save 2.5 converting his base to a bonus. You can cut him after the new league year and save 6.5 mil.

You can convert Jordan Phillips 10 mil base to a bonus and that would save 6.333 mil.

We would save 4.1 cutting Devon Kennard prior to the new league year. We would save around 4 mil by converting his base salary of 6.2 to a bonus. We would save 6.6 cutting Kennard after the new league year.

Cutting Maxx Williams save about 3 mil.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The mere fact that this got an ounce of oxygen is frankly embarrassing.
Some things will never change with the media and their decades long belief that all stars should leave every market except the east coast and Dallas.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've read that it might not be a slam dunk to extend Jones. He could have an open market next year and get one last big contract. Extending him would be great for ARZ but it all depends on what Jones wants to do.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I've read that it might not be a slam dunk to extend Jones. He could have an open market next year and get one last big contract. Extending him would be great for ARZ but it all depends on what Jones wants to do.
True but it is also way more risk for Jones to play out the season. If he isn't the same player, say he gets 10 sacks, then he is a 32 year old declining edge player ala Justin Houston and just two years removed from a season ending surgery.

If he signs it now, he gets paid, negotiates still off 2019 numbers, and can play 2021 worry free.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Moves to enable the Cardinals to create cap space.

Pre League year cuts

Cut Alford - 7.5 mil.

Extend Humphries...He counts for 19 mil. Extending him and additional 3 year would help lower that easily.

Extend Chandler Jones. 20 mil cap hit. I am sure you could convince him to extend two or three years at a lower hit. Probably cut that 20 mil to 10, and save 0 mil doing so.

With Pugh you can convert his base salary to a bonus and then save 3.875 in 2021. You can cut him before the new league year and save 7.1 mil or after the new league year and save 9.1 mil.

With Hicks there just isn't a ton to do. You could save 2.5 converting his base to a bonus. You can cut him after the new league year and save 6.5 mil.

You can convert Jordan Phillips 10 mil base to a bonus and that would save 6.333 mil.

We would save 4.1 cutting Devon Kennard prior to the new league year. We would save around 4 mil by converting his base salary of 6.2 to a bonus. We would save 6.6 cutting Kennard after the new league year.

Cutting Maxx Williams save about 3 mil.

Honestly, I feel like Keim will do all of that and more.

This has to be an--pun intended--all or nothing year. Playoffs or bust for Keim, and probably for Kliff unless we go 11-5 and miss out for some dumb reason.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If that were the case I would trade him now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I feel like Keim will do all of that and more.

This has to be an--pun intended--all or nothing year. Playoffs or bust for Keim, and probably for Kliff unless we go 11-5 and miss out for some dumb reason.

Y'all are assuming some great Keim cap maneuvering and slashing a burning guys he just signed as prize FA... for what reason exactly? Doesn't seem like we've ever been that proactive with moves like that under his tenure.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
True but it is also way more risk for Jones to play out the season. If he isn't the same player, say he gets 10 sacks, then he is a 32 year old declining edge player ala Justin Houston and just two years removed from a season ending surgery.

If he signs it now, he gets paid, negotiates still off 2019 numbers, and can play 2021 worry free.
I definitely hope he sees it that way...bird in hand and all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA