Deandre Ayton discussion

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just don’t see how you can consider giving this guy a max contract. He had a great, limited run of 3 1/2 games but has otherwise been really disappointing since then. No heart.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I just don’t see how you can consider giving this guy a max contract. He had a great, limited run of 3 1/2 games but has otherwise been really disappointing since then. No heart.

It's pretty simple. You can keep Ayton and never really win much or you can move him and try to win a championship at some point. He doesn't have the IQ or drive to be an effective center for a contender IMHO. He just goes through the motions and he seems to have very little interest in evolving beyond what he has been since the start.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Bridges needs to be the jumpball guy going forward. DA literally goes brain dead and can’t figure it out. It’s been that way since college.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges needs to be the jumpball guy going forward. DA literally goes brain dead and can’t figure it out. It’s been that way since college.

it’s beyond bizarre.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alex Len averaged more free throw attempts than Ayton in his 3rd year. Len only played 23 minutes a night compared to Ayton playing 32 minutes. Len shot 3.1 ft's to Ayton's 2.3. Alex freaking Len got to the line more than Ayton.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alex Len averaged more free throw attempts than Ayton in his 3rd year. Len only played 23 minutes a night compared to Ayton playing 32 minutes. Len shot 3.1 ft's to Ayton's 2.3. Alex freaking Len got to the line more than Ayton.

oy. That is really pathetic.

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
Year 3 :

Amare Stoudemire 26.0 PPG 9.0 REB - 10 Free Throw att. per gm Age 22

Deandre Ayton 13.0 PPG 12.3 REB - 2.3 Stinking Free Throw att. per GM. Age 22

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year 3 :

Amare Stoudemire 26.0 PPG 9.0 REB - 10 Free Throw att. per gm Age 22

Deandre Ayton 13.0 PPG 12.3 REB - 2.3 Stinking Free Throw att. per GM. Age 22

The numbers say it all, and I'd take a healthy Amare over Ayton without question, but Ayton closes the gap a little because of how consistently poor Amare was on the defensive end of the court.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The numbers say it all, and I'd take a healthy Amare over Ayton without question, but Ayton closes the gap a little because of how consistently poor Amare was on the defensive end of the court.
I think you need to go outside..... say three hail mary's and then spit.

Ayton has a (maybe) three yard lead on defense. Amare is a continent ahead on offense.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Amare for all the fire on offense was downright pathetic on defense.

he def wasn’t without his flaws

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton has a (maybe) three yard lead on defense. Amare is a continent ahead on offense.

I think someone has either forgotten how bad Amare was on defense or is basing Ayton's game too much on last night. But regardless, I did say it's an easy call for Amare and that DA has only narrowed the gap a "little". No way is it 3 yards versus a continent even allowing for hyperbole.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

False.

The gap in offense is extremely large, but the defensive gap is bigger than you give it credit.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
False.

The gap in offense is extremely large, but the defensive gap is bigger than you give it credit.
Off the top of my head, I can think of at least one game where we lose without Amare's defense. Can you think of one for Ayton? Because I can't.

I know this is a simplistic way of looking at things, but it isn't totally out of the realm that their defensive play is closer than you think. Both were "O'le Artists" their first couple of years and learned to stand up straight with their arms above them when they jumped.

Thinking his help defense is that much better doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
And in the games that truly mattered....... Amare played both ends. Not always great on defense, but his hustle and determination were evident.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Also..... Someone mentioned DA as a top 10 center in the league. I just don't see it personally.

No way he's better:
Anthony Davis
Jokic
Embiid
Towns
Gobert
Adebayo

Probably better right now:
Drummond
Capela
Marc Gasol
Ibaka
Valanciunas

Future is high:
Allen

Others to consider:
Whiteside
Porzingis
Christian Wood

I think a capable argument can be made about all of these guys being either way better or just as good "right now" as DominAyton is.

Just my 2 cents.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Also..... Someone mentioned DA as a top 10 center in the league. I just don't see it personally.

No way he's better:
Anthony Davis
Jokic
Embiid
Towns
Gobert
Adebayo

Drummond
Capela
Marc Gasol
Ibaka
Valanciunas

Future is high:
Allen

Others to consider:
Whiteside
Porzingis
Christian Wood

I think a capable argument can be made about all of these guys being either way better or just as good "right now" as DominAyton is.

Just my 2 cents.
And I think there are several on your list that is equal or better than.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No way he's better:
Anthony Davis
Jokic
Embiid
Towns
Gobert
Adebayo

Drummond
Capela
Marc Gasol
Ibaka
Valanciunas

Future is high:
Allen

Others to consider:
Whiteside
Porzingis
Christian Wood

Just my 2 cents.

You’re forgetting Sabonis up there as well. I think Ayton is prob right around 10th best, but like I said this yesterday, is that anything to really crow about in a league with a dearth of good centers?

also, a point was made that big men don’t flourish until they’re 25 and that we shouldn’t be judging Ayton by the fact that he is in his third year in the league but by his age, 22. Well, the top 4 guys on that list up there are what people hoped Ayton would turn into and some are still clinging to the hope that Ayton can be. If that’s still the case with anyone, I’d suggest you don’t look at what those four guys were doing at age 22 because all of them are blowing him away at that point.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No way he's better:
Anthony Davis
Jokic
Embiid
Towns
Gobert
Adebayo

Drummond
Capela
Marc Gasol
Ibaka
Valanciunas

Future is high:
Allen

Others to consider:
Whiteside
Porzingis
Christian Wood

Just my 2 cents.

Part of why I think some say Ayton is a top 10 Center is because of his age and potential but when it comes to actual on court play right now and what to expect from him nightly, this season, I think he falls right around #10. The reason he's that high has more to do with the lack of quality centers in the league instead of him out playing the 20 other guys who start at C around the league.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of why I think some say Ayton is a top 10 Center is because of his age and potential but when it comes to actual on court play right now and what to expect from him nightly, this season, I think he falls right around #10. The reason he's that high has more to do with the lack of quality centers in the league instead of him out playing the 20 other guys who start at C around the league.

I also think it’s a function of being the first pick in the draft, which goes along with the “potential” of it all.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't know if I can remember a more talented but frustrating player than Ayton.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its like he has a 7'6" wingspan but only uses 4.5ft of it. FFS reach over and dunk the damn ball.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You’re forgetting Sabonis up there as well. I think he’s prob right around 10th best, but like I said this yesterday, is that anything to really crow about in a league with a dearth of good centers?

also, a point was made that big men don’t flourish until they’re 25 and that we shouldn’t be judging Ayton by the fact that he is in his third year in the league but by his age, 22. Well, the top 4 guys on that list up there are what people hoped Ayton would turn into and some are still clinging to the hope that Ayton can be. If that’s still the case with anyone, I’d suggest you don’t look at what those four guys were doing at age 22 because all of them are blowing him away at that point.
Forgetting Sabonis, Nurkic, and Vucevic is funny to me because I love all of them.

Honestly..... More Ammo that he's probably closer to 13 to 16 in range CURRENTLY though.

this team will have to decide in the offseason what Ayton's team will ask for contractually. And then turn around and attack a KAT like deal.

All of the title contenders attack. The Nets, Heat, Celtics, Lakers, Clippers, & Sixers all went for it at one point or another.

Are we two years from being two years away? Or are we jumping in the pool next year? that's my take.