Rumor? The Cardinals and CB Patrick Peterson are parting ways

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to PP; "There's no real update and, like you said, it is a dirty rumor," Peterson said. "I woke up to it this morning as well. Me and the team haven't talked anything about contracts and we haven't [spoken about] parting ways. That's just what it is -- a dirty rumor. I don't know where [the reporter] got his insight from, but it was a dirty rumor and you're hearing it here."

Are FanSided writers even reporters most of them aren't paid? the guy who broke this "story" writes for Fan Sided. they got bought out in a big corporate takeover and wound up connected to SI which gave them some credibility they probably hadn't earned. The best description I've seen of them is they're the ones that due to algorithm pop up on Google when you search but after you've read a few of the stories you realize it's just some kid in college. The guy who wrote this story is 30 so out of college but near as I can tell he's not really a reporter. When the story got picked up and people starting pointing out it wasn't true, he immediately went on Twitter and amended it to his "sources" said it was "likely".

So I think when PP says dirty rumor, it wouldn't surprise any of us if it winds up happening, but the way the story was written, was not true. The decision hasn't been made yet.

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
PP = PED's and then watching him chase receivers down from being 5 yards behind them last year. Oh, and when he was burnt throwing his hands up in the air insinuating it was not his fault. Enjoyed the young PP but the attitude no longer matches the 83rd ranked corner. As you demand wages of yesteryear don't let the door hit you in the ass!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No. I want a better team and frankly this take is ridiculous. Teams trade good players all the time with the intention of making their TEAM better overall.

The Jets traded Jamal Adams last season. The best player on their team. Niners traded Buckner, one of their best defensive players, maybe the best.

The year before you have Jalen Ramsey, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Tunsil, Clowney, the Seahawks traded Frank Clark, KC traded Dee Ford.

Go back another year and the Raiders traded Khalil Mack, Giants traded JPP.

Chances are that NO might trade Cam Jordan this year.

Let's not act like this is some unusual far fetched idea. Keim and Bidwill have been treating this team as if it's just a few players away from challenging every year for the past 5 years and it needs to stop. Every year we have had a crap tonne of dead cap holding us back from the money they threw at over the hill cast offs they had to discard. We did the same last year. Kennard was a bust, Philips was a bust, Campbell had a good start but a poor finish and were paying him $4m this year not to be on the team.

We need to get younger and start planning to challenge in Kyler's 4th and 5th years. Not next year.

All you are doing is making the same arguments many people made 2 years ago regarding P2 and it would have been the right thing to trade P2 then the same way it's the right thing to trade CJ now.

I don't want to trade him. If we were healthier on cap space, had other tradeable pieces or were remotely close to being an actual SB contender I wouldn't be making the suggestion. But we aren't, and I don't want to get trapped in the same endless cycle the next 3 years and waste Kyler's rookie deal.

If we could get a 2nd for CJ and also trade back in the 1st and pick up another 2nd it would give us 4 picks inside the top 60 to start building a team to win in 2022 and 2023.

Say we trade CJ to Miami for #36. He know the system, they have a young defense that needs some veteran talent and a better edge rush.

Imagine coming out of the draft with Ojulari, Rondale Moore, Tyson Campbell and Landon Dickerson for example (based on current rankings). Or pick your poison. And having $15m more cash to spend in FA.
This might be the most ridiculous post. So you want us to model our player management based upon how the Raiders, Jaguars, Giants, Dolphins, and Texans have managed their best players? That seems like the worst plan.

Chiefs switched defenses which was why they bailed on Ford. Clark had DV issues. NO might trade Jordan because of being 75 mil over the cap. Come on man...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This might be the most ridiculous post. So you want us to model our player management based upon how the Raiders, Jaguars, Giants, Dolphins, and Texans have managed their best players? That seems like the worst plan.

Chiefs switched defenses which was why they bailed on Ford. Clark had DV issues. NO might trade Jordan because of being 75 mil over the cap. Come on man...

Why the ad hominems?

The Dolphins are in a better situation that we are. Predominantly through trading away players that didn't fit the long term strategy and bringing in younger guys to build on. It's why they didn't want to tie their hands with a $20m contract for an LT when they were so far away everywhere else. The same reasoning I want to trade CJ.

There was nothing wrong with the strategy by the Giants, Raiders, Texans or Jags. They just have bad owners or bad GM's. I see you skipped the Niners.

And the reason behind why Clark and Ford were traded or why Jordan might be has no bearing on the argument. Good players are traded all the time. And frankly, I think any smart GM with limited cap space, so many holes and a 31 year old Edge with only a year left should be looking to trade them.

Your argument only holds water if a) We didn't just prove we can manage without him b) we didn't have so many holes c) was remotely close to SB contenders or d) had significant cap space to put some of these things right.

We have none of those things.

Last edited:

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
A broken clock is right twice a day.

that sounds like the logic of a crazy ex wife. “Really great husband until he refused to put the toilet seat down for me. I appreciate the 6000sqft custom home and the escalade I drive to the mailbox, yoga, and my nail appointments, but the toilet seat was a deal breaker.”

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the ad hominems?

The Dolphins are in a better situation that we are. Predominantly through trading away players that didn't fit the long term strategy and bringing in younger guys to build on. It's why they didn't want to tie their hands with a $20m contract for an LT when they were so far away everywhere else. The same reasoning I want to trade CJ.

There was nothing wrong with the strategy by the Giants, Raiders, Texans or Jags. They just have bad owners or bad GM's. I see you skipped the Niners.

And the reason behind why Clark and Ford were traded or why Jordan might be has no bearing on the argument. Good players are traded all the time. And frankly, I think any smart GM with limited cap space, so many holes and a 31 year old Edge with only a year left should be looking to trade them.

Your argument only holds water if a) We didn't just prove we can manage without him b) we didn't have so many holes c) was remotely close to SB contenders or d) had significant cap space to put some of these things right.

All of those situations are unique and should be treated as such.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that sounds like the logic of a crazy ex wife. “Really great husband until he refused to put the toilet seat down for me. I appreciate the 6000sqft custom home and the escalade I drive to the mailbox, yoga, and my nail appointments, but the toilet seat was a deal breaker.”

I'm not sure which side of this that Keim is supposed to be on...the wife or the husband.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Link doesn't work for me

I get the coming off injury so it's 2 seasons ago, fully see that point. But if you're trying to argue he wasn't the best pass rusher in 2019 I have a hard time with it. He had 19 sacks and 26 QB hits, often while being doubled. Barrett had 19.5. Jones forced EIGHT fumbles that year, Barrett 6, Jones recovered 3 fumbles, Barrett 0. CJ was 2nd in sacks, first in forced fumbles, 2nd in recovered fumbles. He did have less QB hits than several guys but he did more with the hits he had, more sacks, more forced fumbles.

Remember 2019 we won 5 games and were often playing from behind, it's not like he just got to go rush teh QB on every down because we're ahead all the time, he did that while we were often behind and teams ran the ball.

I have no idea how good he'll be this year it's a tough injury to judge, I do think it's unfair to suggest he wasn't at least as good as any other pass rusher in the NFL his last full year, he was.

Stupid NFL.com links...the name of the link is Garrett, Nick Bosa among NFL's top 10 Disruptors. (spoiler, Jones isn't on the list) Jones was excellent in 2019 and didn't do much in 4 games in 2020.

Chandler Jones is not in the top 10 problems facing the team, but I'd also be hesitant to pay him top dollar long term at this point.

To get NFL.com links to work, you have to ALT-Click them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chan is a technican & uses his length to advantage more than any athletic ability. That definitely works in his favor for career longevity imho
Hmm, as with most things I think this knife can cut both ways. Yes, his primary weapon, his tactics, won’t go away. But if he had just adequate speed/strength/athleticism and it was his tactics that made him excel then any loss of the athleticism might make him useless, tactics or no.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm, as with most things I think this knife can cut both ways. Yes, his primary weapon, his tactics, won’t go away. But if he had just adequate speed/strength/athleticism and it was his tactics that made him excel then any loss of the athleticism might make him useless, tactics or no.

And it's not as if it's just legs that slow with age.

I don't think Chan is done, I think he probably has a few more seasons in him. I don't however think he has many 17 sack seasons in him. I feel it's more likely he starts dropping down the teens.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Yeah...no.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why the ad hominems?

The Dolphins also had a new coach, who was brought on with the knowledge they were going to press the reset button on the whole franchise. Both Keim and Kliff don't have that luxury.

With guys like Adams, Fitzpatrick, Mack, Ford, Clark, Clowney, Ramsey, and Mack they had major contract disputes or had demanded trades. It was either move them, or they wouldn't be on the field.

Also, there's a good chance we start hearing contract demands from Kyler as soon as next offseason, just like Mahomes and Watson, so "building for years 4 and 5" are pretty unlikely.

Keim's roster construction sucks, but that's because of poor drafting, and a 2nd round pick isn't going to save his job moreso than Chandler Jones. I would say your argument only would hold water if we had moved on from Keim and Kliff this offseason, and admitted it's time for rebuild #3 in the past 4 years.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Chan's salary number is $15.5mm next year

for perspective: thats right in between Melvin Ingram and Dante Fowler

its reasonable money to pay even if its not 17 sacks, but 10 sacks

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Also, there's a good chance we start hearing contract demands from Kyler as soon as next offseason, just like Mahomes and Watson,

here is the thing with those contracts: the big cap hits dont kick in until next season

so, you can sign Murray long term, but you still enjoy 3 more seasons of cheap production

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chan's salary number is $15.5mm next year

for perspective: thats right in between Melvin Ingram and Dante Fowler

its reasonable money to pay even if its not 17 sacks, but 10 sacks

No. His cap hit is nearly $21m.

15.5m is the cap saving.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Dolphins also had a new coach, who was brought on with the knowledge they were going to press the reset button on the whole franchise. Both Keim and Kliff don't have that luxury.

With guys like Adams, Fitzpatrick, Mack, Ford, Clark, Clowney, Ramsey, and Mack they had major contract disputes or had demanded trades. It was either move them, or they wouldn't be on the field.

Also, there's a good chance we start hearing contract demands from Kyler as soon as next offseason, just like Mahomes and Watson, so "building for years 4 and 5" are pretty unlikely.

Keim's roster construction sucks, but that's because of poor drafting, and a 2nd round pick isn't going to save his job moreso than Chandler Jones. I would say your argument only would hold water if we had moved on from Keim and Kliff this offseason, and admitted it's time for rebuild #3 in the past 4 years.

I don't agree.

The main argument against is that Kliff and Keims job is on the line so they are going to throw everything at next year yet clearly not win anything because we don't have close to enough to fill all the holes and thus set us even further back in dead money or over valued contracts for the season after.

I'd rather Keim say to Mike "we're in a hole next year, here's the moves we need to make to challenge the year after".

This "win now" crap hasn't won anything and has put us in this poor roster situation.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When he was asked about his impending free agency in a recent interview he made it clear that he "...TECHNICALLY was a free agent..." implying that the team would likely not let him even hit the market. With PP21 one thing is certain - however this thing unfolds - in the end - it will be all about him. Either he was too important to let leave and the Cards kept him here or he will be snatched away by another team who respects his greatness. You can almost already hear him explaining how it went down on his podcast...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
here is the thing with those contracts: the big cap hits dont kick in until next season

so, you can sign Murray long term, but you still enjoy 3 more seasons of cheap production
That depends when we sign him, and how we structure it. If we sign him to an extension next offseason, it's still just two more seasons of cheap.

I don't agree.

The main argument against is that Kliff and Keims job is on the line so they are going to throw everything at next year yet clearly not win anything because we don't have close to enough to fill all the holes and thus set us even further back in dead money or over valued contracts for the season after.

I'd rather Keim say to Mike "we're in a hole next year, here's the moves we need to make to challenge the year after".

This "win now" crap hasn't won anything and has put us in this poor roster situation.
How long is Mike going to let Keim kick the can down the road? It's already half a decade of non-winning football. The moves Keim needed to make "to challenge the year after" are long past - he's a terrible drafter.

It's time for Keim and Kliff to put up or shut up, Bidwill presumably has seats to sell next year.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
When he was asked about his impending free agency in a recent interview he made it clear that he "...TECHNICALLY was a free agent..." implying that the team would likely not let him even hit the market. With PP21 one thing is certain - however this thing unfolds - in the end - it will be all about him. Either he was too important to let leave and the Cards kept him here or he will be snatched away by another team who respects his greatness. You can almost already hear him explaining how it went down on his podcast...
His former greatness...

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I personally think SK gets to much ish for the (historical) short comings of this organization. I believe he is very loyal to ownership- if he wasn’t, he’d already be out of a job here. The wilks debacle was all MB- he admitted as much during the presser when they announced his termination. BA leaving had nothing to do with SK- SK loved that dude. SK has done a fantastic job in many places (pulled off one of the most lopsided trades in NFL history), but yes the drafts have been rather dismal. I just can’t comprehend how this is all SK’s fault... who was that kid we picked up years back in the 2nd round, the “lil sweetness?” It was pretty obvious the majority of the coaching staff was thinking “wtf???,” and dude admitted he was told by “someone” in the organization he would be their pick and was coming off the board early. Silliness. Starts at the very top.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If PP signs with another team during the off-season, would we get a compensation draft pick for this draft or next year's draft?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I personally think SK gets to much ish for the (historical) short comings of this organization. I believe he is very loyal to ownership- if he wasn’t, he’d already be out of a job here. The wilks debacle was all MB- he admitted as much during the presser when they announced his termination. BA leaving had nothing to do with SK- SK loved that dude. SK has done a fantastic job in many places (pulled off one of the most lopsided trades in NFL history), but yes the drafts have been rather dismal. I just can’t comprehend how this is all SK’s fault... who was that kid we picked up years back in the 2nd round, the “lil sweetness?” It was pretty obvious the majority of the coaching staff was thinking “wtf???,” and dude admitted he was told by “someone” in the organization he would be their pick and was coming off the board early. Silliness. Starts at the very top.
If keim doesn’t pick the coaching staff and his draft is dismal and other than “keim time” retread one-year free agent successes 8 years ago he has no FA success he hangs his hat solely on a a few admittedly great trades (hulk, Palmer, cj, and Hopkins)? Four great trades isn’t enough to say “he’s fine.” In fact it’s all that keeps us from saying he’s the worst gm of all time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who else should get the blame for having the worst drafting in the past decade?

Last edited: