Your unpopular take/opinion for this draft?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This will be boring to most, but honestly, I wouldn’t mind if we double dipped at iOL in the first two rounds.

Alijah Vera-Tucker in the first then Creed Humphrey in the second.

I would put AVT at his natural spot at LG & move Pugh to RG.

A line of Hump-AVT-Creed-Pugh-Jones is very young, but has a lot of athleticism & promise.

Keim most likely wouldn’t do that cause he loves his toys too much, but I wouldn’t mind biting at this opportunity if it presents itself.

I would go CB in the 3rd & go hard for WR in FA & for another CB as well.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a bit hard to pick up on any draft suggestion before FA.

At this point, I would rather invest in FA to fill the guard position (Joe Thuney).

Hump - Thuney - Cole/Gaillard (?) - Pugh - Jones

I suspect that picks one and two are likely to be a CB/WO mix.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Mine is that this is a significantly riskier draft than other years. I push back against this because the only concrete things you really have to evaluate from is the tape. Less workout adjustments. Less noise and group think around players. You have film...you grade off of it...that is what makes up your board. I don't know that it is a significantly bad thing.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't want another Jonathan Cooper situation. Should be able to find above average guards in FA or after round 1. I don't trust Keim much for player evaluation either

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
This will be boring to most, but honestly, I wouldn’t mind if we double dipped at iOL in the first two rounds.

A line of Hump-AVT-Creed-Pugh-Jones is very young, but has a lot of athleticism & promise.

Keim most likely wouldn’t do that cause he loves his toys too much, but I wouldn’t mind biting at this opportunity if it presents itself.

my potentially unpopular opinion on this:

I like the players

but only if there was a trade down from #16 to do it

there are lots of players in this draft that are college tackles with questions about them that may see them sliding inside to guard. There will be a choice of them in the bottom 10 picks of the first round

and i also think Humphrey is there at #79

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I could get on board with that. I'm a big fan of getting the OL right before anything else. Really we have so many holes theres not much I would say no to in the draft outside of a high pick RB.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a bit hard to pick up on any draft suggestion before FA.

At this point, I would rather invest in FA to fill the guard position (Joe Thuney).

Hump - Thuney - Cole/Gaillard (?) - Pugh - Jones

I suspect that picks one and two are likely to be a CB/WO mix.

I don't want to pay OL in the offseason especially an ex Pat as they often don't play as well elsewhere.

I'd roll the dice with the draft. If not we go with with some mix of Cole, Gaillard and Murray. There will be other post draft cuts as well. There's always a good cap casualty or two at most positions.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think with the Drake situation, the Cardinals might go RB fairly early in the draft.

I'd consider taking Najee Harris.

Sure RB is not a premium position by modern standards, but the Cardinals offense is significantly better when the lead back can consistently produce. I think with Kyler's inconsistencies, the Cardinals should prioritize running the ball and playing great defense.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mine is that this is a significantly riskier draft than other years. I push back against this because the only concrete things you really have to evaluate from is the tape. Less workout adjustments. Less noise and group think around players. You have film...you grade off of it...that is what makes up your board. I don't know that it is a significantly bad thing.

I've said this a few weeks ago. I think this draft favors us for the reasons you stated. I think Keim over thinks things and falls in love with personalities and intangibles over tape.

That's plus opt outs, covid confusion etc means there's likely to be more gems to find in lower rounds.

It#s one reason I wouldn't mind having more picks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't want to pay OL in the offseason especially an ex Pat as they often don't play as well elsewhere.

I'd roll the dice with the draft. If not we go with with some mix of Cole, Gaillard and Murray. There will be other post draft cuts as well. There's always a good cap casualty or two at most positions.

Agree. I don't like the idea of paying a guard top dollar, but I wouldn't mind a center. Center has become so valuable, and if you look at the number of draft hits at center over the past decade, it's mind boggling how many of the 1st and 2nd round centers that haven't been good. Cole hasn't been that bad of a pick if you look at it through that lens....young guys leaguewide are really struggling at the pivot.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I could get on board with that. I'm a big fan of getting the OL right before anything else. Really we have so many holes theres not much I would say no to in the draft outside of a high pick RB.

Nah B, I can't get behind this because it's really hard to start TWO rookies on an OL and have a good one.

I think the Cardinals should prioritize drafting one IOL and then having a good vet at the other position.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah B, I can't get behind this because it's really hard to start TWO rookies on an OL and have a good one.

I think the Cardinals should prioritize drafting one IOL and then having a good vet at the other position.

I agree with that. But then I'm not thinking about next year. This team (its GM, owner and fans) have spent too much time keep thinking we can do it next year. I'm planning for the year after next, which is what Keim should be doing but never does.

Even if only one of those IOL starts this year and the other one comes in later in the season or next year I'm good with that.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
my potentially unpopular opinion on this:

I like the players

but only if there was a trade down from #16 to do it

there are lots of players in this draft that are college tackles with questions about them that may see them sliding inside to guard. There will be a choice of them in the bottom 10 picks of the first round

and i also think Humphrey is there at #79
Thing is though, AVT might not even make it to us at #16, so trading back would make things a lot more riskier. AVT is more of a natural guard than those that will get drafted behind him.

Man idk, I highly doubt Creed makes it to #79. Mocks are definite, but looking through a lot of mocks, he might not even make it to 48!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think with the Drake situation, the Cardinals might go RB fairly early in the draft.

Sure RB is not a premium position by modern standards, but the Cardinals offense is significantly better when the lead back can consistently produce. I think with Kyler's inconsistencies, the Cardinals should prioritize running the ball and playing great defense.

Back in the day Michael Lombardi used to say that the spread offense is predicated on a RB who can make plays almost by himself. It's really the RB who makes that offense work because the interior defensive players have to respect the run option. Looking at spread offenses in the NFL, it's still a compelling argument.

That said, NO THANK YOU to taking a running back in the first two rounds. Absolutely zero value there. Of the top 10 rushers, one was a QB and only Melvin Gordon at 10 was a first round pick (with his second team).

Gah. Only 9 1000+ yard rushers in 2020. What an odd world we live in.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day Michael Lombardi used to say that the spread offense is predicated on a RB who can make plays almost by himself. It's really the RB who makes that offense work because the interior defensive players have to respect the run option. Looking at spread offenses in the NFL, it's still a compelling argument.

That said, NO THANK YOU to taking a running back in the first two rounds. Absolutely zero value there. Of the top 10 rushers, one was a QB and only Melvin Gordon at 10 was a first round pick (with his second team).

Yeah a RB has to be unreal to use a high pick these days and even then there's a risk due to RB's having shorter careers. If you know you're getting Derrick Henry for example yes, but most RB's no just not worth it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Thing is though, AVT might not even make it to us at #16, so trading back would make things a lot more riskier. AVT is more of a natural guard than those that will get drafted behind him.

it is the draft, so who knows

my premise is based on the fact that tackles are more valuable than guards, so "pure" tackles go earlier than "a tackle who probably has to move inside" or "a guard that might be able to play tackle"

I think AVT is the last type -- but also not a Quentin Nelson or Zach Martin type no brainer.

So i think guys like Darrisaw and Tevan Jenkins go ahead of him.

again, i really like the player -- super high floor -- but i think you could trade down into the 20s, get and extra low 2nd or 3rd -- and take him.

EDIT: i would really like Darrisaw. Why?

Josh Jones is still unproven. I want to hedge bets by taking "a tackle that might have to slide inside to guard" Thats Darrisaw. He is also a very physical run blocker -- so if Josh Jones works, great -- he goes to guard. If he doesnt, the team has another option at RT

Last edited:
OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it is the draft, so who knows

my premise is based on the fact that tackles are more valuable than guards, so "pure" tackles go earlier than "a tackle who probably has to move inside" or "a guard that might be able to play tackle"

I think AVT is the last type -- but also not a Quentin Nelson or Zach Martin type no brainer.

So i think guys like Darrisaw and Tevan Jenkins go ahead of him.

again, i really like the player -- super high floor -- but i think you could trade down into the 20s, get and extra low 2nd or 3rd -- and take him.
Zach Martin went #16. The same spot AVT would go if we drafted them. Was he really a no-brainer at that spot?

Darrisaw? I absolutely could. Jenkins? I honestly think there’s no chance in hell he goes before AVT. I don’t even think he goes 1st round.

Trading back sounds nice until another team snatches him before us & we end up reaching for a player that we had little intention of getting compared to the one we should’ve gotten.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

If he's there in the 2nd, you pounce on him, even if you have to move up slightly in the draft to get him

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If that's the case why did we underused RBs so much this year in the passing game? Chase had a bunch of catches but they were almost exclusively checkdowns.

Where were the routes like DJ used to run?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If that's the case why did we underused RBs so much this year in the passing game? Chase had a bunch of catches but they were almost exclusively checkdowns.

Where were the routes like DJ used to run?

It's really the RB's threat to run that's important in the spread offense, at least according to Lombardi. They have to be able to make the LB miss in the hole to be effective.

Surprising stat: Drake was 7th in the NFL in rushing attempts.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
CB (Farley or Surtain miracle) O Line, Pass Rush, then WR. In that order.

13 solid 1st rounders and roughly 25 to 35 2nd rounders in this draft. We need one to drop to 16 and I dont see it. I think we are on the outside looking in for all of the top end O-Line and CB Talent in this draft.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I wouldn’t hate it But a lot would depend on getting some playmakers in free agency or hitting on one in the later rounds.

offense definitely needs some RAC guys and speed.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Just watched McShay's recent Mock draft. It was the Cards worst nightmare. Every single player we would want without reaching was taken prior to 16. He had us taking Gregory Rousseau, DE. Good player, but not what any of us seem to think is anywhere near our need for R1. If his mock should come true, I would hope that we would be on the phone to every team begging to trade back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose