OT: RIP, San Diego Stadium (aka Jack Murphy or Qualcomm)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drove past a fraction of the stadium today because that's literally all that's left to knock down.

Home for the SDSU Aztecs football team, the Padres, and the Chargers for so many years.

Both the Holiday Bowl and the Poinsettia Bowl were held there, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Stadium

The stadium hosted three Super Bowls: Super Bowl XXII in 1988, Super Bowl XXXII in 1998, and Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003. It also hosted the 1978 and 1992 Major League Baseball All-Star Games, as well as games of the 1996 and 1998 National League Division Series, the 1984 and 1998 National League Championship Series, and the 1984 and 1998 World Series. It was the only stadium ever to host both the Super Bowl and the World Series in the same year (1998), and it was one of three stadiums to host the World Series, the MLB All-Star Game, and the Super Bowl, along with the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minneapolis and Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Saw quite a few Padres games there back in the day. R.I.P. Murph.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
The NFL should have never let them leave.

Chargers have no business in LA.

Terrible move

Nice stadium to go to back in the day.

power play. NFL wants everything for free. I remember when Glendale paid a $2-3million public safety bill for SB 49 (which is substantial for a city that size), and the NFL told them the “free marketing” the city was getting due to the SB was valued at double what the city was shelling out & staffing for THEIR security plan. I was assigned there as part of my SWAT Team. We started the day at 0500, and posted up on the outer footprint of State Farm until 1500 (no food, no breaks; we were told all day the NFL was going to supply us food). My element was to position inside the stadium for the duration of the game (fine by me, I was able to watch from a TV and not freeze my nuts off outside). NFL supplied a box lunch with PPJ, small bag of some chips I’d never seen before, and 1/2 an apply cut into slices. I send my 2nd grader to school with way more than that.

I think it’s sucks the chargers left San Diego, but I am proud the City told them to pound sand.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Drove past a fraction of the stadium today because that's literally all that's left to knock down.

Home for the SDSU Aztecs football team, the Padres, and the Chargers for so many years.

Both the Holiday Bowl and the Poinsettia Bowl were held there, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Stadium

The stadium hosted three Super Bowls: Super Bowl XXII in 1988, Super Bowl XXXII in 1998, and Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003. It also hosted the 1978 and 1992 Major League Baseball All-Star Games, as well as games of the 1996 and 1998 National League Division Series, the 1984 and 1998 National League Championship Series, and the 1984 and 1998 World Series. It was the only stadium ever to host both the Super Bowl and the World Series in the same year (1998), and it was one of three stadiums to host the World Series, the MLB All-Star Game, and the Super Bowl, along with the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minneapolis and Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles.
Wait....... Your not in Mesa?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I worked security there for all the ball games and concerts back in 1980. It was a fun time. Worked the sports arena too, along with Del Mar Race Track.