Rumor? The Cardinals and CB Patrick Peterson are parting ways

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except for the Cardinals bringing in the occasional key player like Chandler Jones and Deandre Hopkins it seems like they don't have a lot of luck bringing in players that can contribute or stay healthy. And their drafting success is even worse.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The money he's going to demand has nothing to do with the lack of options out there. It's either overpay for middling play or start guys who are naturally slot CBs on the outside.
Overpay for middling play at cb means being locked into underpaying other positions for middling play. Domino effect. Cant look at anything in a vacuum.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They missed the boat by not trading PP when they could have gotten good return in the trade and it would be interesting to know why they never pulled the trigger on a trade, whether is was out of misplaced loyalty or emotions or whatever. I only hope the idea behind not trading PP was they thought they could compete for a championship with what they had at the time. Now the team is in a position that handcuffs them due to having so many needs and not enough draft picks or coin to fill the holes. Had they traded PP at least they would have had an additional high draft pick or two.

What crosses my mind is how the front office allowed themselves to get into the fix they are in now. Did they not realize how many FAs they were going to have come 2021 and how depleted the roster was going to be in terms of signed players? How could they not plan for that?
Keim

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Should have tried to trade PP while he still had value. Now were losing him for nothing other than cap space which isnt a bad thing I guess?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
anyone here remember what our record was without PP two years ago when he was out 6 games?

3-3.

Anyone here remember what our record was with PP the last two years? 7-15-1.

Is he solely responsible for that? No. But the idea that the world ends if he's not on the team is just unfounded. The guy just makes almost zero impact on the field at this point.

Think of it this way... take your loyalties away and say you're a CB hungry team. Do you overpay for a washed up, post PEDs Peterson who's 31 years old and only getting older every year? Hell no. Just because he wore our jersey last year shouldn't mean we make the same mistake. Hell, we SAW what he was last year. This team more than any should know to move on and use that money he wants on a CB who can at least deliver some of what the money dictates it should.

So by that logic we can get rid of Chandler Jones to right.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Should have tried to trade PP while he still had value. Now were losing him for nothing other than cap space which isnt a bad thing I guess?
Yep. Many on here have been screaming about this since his suspension. Any real GM would’ve sold high on a clearly diminishing asset. It was a reputation offer and Keim let it slip away...

PP was great when he was great. But that’s over now...

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. Many on here have been screaming about this since his suspension. Any real GM would’ve sold high on a clearly diminishing asset. It was a reputation offer and Keim let it slip away...

PP was great when he was great. But that’s over now...

The 'unreal' GM who got rid of bad contract and got us DHop in the bargain.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Overpay for middling play at cb means being locked into underpaying other positions for middling play. Domino effect. Cant look at anything in a vacuum.
I'd rather underpay for middling play at other positions where there are decent options, as opposed to saying "screw it" to a key position on the field and just accepting it's going to be the worst situation in the NFL.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So by that logic we can get rid of Chandler Jones to right.

Yes.

This team is nowhere near competing. We need to start rebuilding for the future not pay $20m to 32 year olds that showed decline in the 4 games they played last year.

Trade him to a team that's in the hunt. Get something for him now before he is worth nothing later. Use the draft pick to build for the future and save a chunk of cap space to add younger talent.

We had as many sacks this year than any year with CJ in the team proving we can manage without him.

If you can save $15m, get a good draft pick and still get the same amount of sacks why wouldn't you?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes.

This team is nowhere near competing. We need to start rebuilding for the future not pay $20m to 32 year olds that showed decline in the 4 games they played last year.

Trade him to a team that's in the hunt. Get something for him now before he is worth nothing later. Use the draft pick to build for the future and save a chunk of cap space to add younger talent.

We had as many sacks this year than any year with CJ in the team proving we can manage without him.

If you can save $15m, get a good draft pick and still get the same amount of sacks why wouldn't you?

lol

this guy kills me. You have an offense that has jumped up drastically in the last two years, win totals have gone up in the last two years

and we were literally a few made field goals from the playoffs and the way this dude talks you would think we were in the running for the #1 pick.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's just that the team has so few home grown superstars over the years that ownership (and the fanbase) are reluctant to give them up. They'll hang on with both hands to guys like Fitzgerald and Peterson just to have something left of all their efforts and recognizability.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes.

We didn't go from 12 to 10 to 8 wins with evident rot and the need to rebuild.

We have ascended over the past two seasons and still have the advantage of a below market value QB contract.

Judging CJ on a 4 game set and extrapolating is a bit much. Perhaps someone will make an offer we can't refuse but, short of that, I'd look to redo his last year and extend.

I hate not having an on-the-field answer for PP21 but I'm not willing to overpay for his services.*

If FITZ insists on his $11m for the upcoming season, I'm not there but one has to recognize that this is a deal which goes beyond the field for Mike Bidwill.

* The possible (likely) departure of PP21 brings up what the team might do Robert Alford.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
People getting on Keim for not trading PP at this past deadline are just wrong. The team was looking every bit a playoff team and playing well. You don't trade your best CB in that situation. I guess Keim should have seen the collapse coming just like he should have known Alford was going to break his leg and tear a pec.

I hope PP returns but not at top money. Drafting Farley and having PP as the #2 CB would not be a bad thing. PP would probably be among the best #2's in the league.

I bet alot of the same people who want PP gone, want Larry back. Larry was MUCH worse than Peterson last year. Keim should have cut Larry's pay 3 years ago or sent him walking. But, if that happened, people would have been super PO'd.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave