Rumor? The Cardinals and CB Patrick Peterson are parting ways

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
......probably the last one we drafted one in the 1st round? Which we’re in a good spot to do it again?

Ok, so hope that we're drafting the next PP (who was drafted #5). Good plan! Who's the next PP that we're drafting at 16?

Yes, PP was an excellent returner in his rookie season, but he wasn't a very good corner.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok, so hope that we're drafting the next PP (who was drafted #5). Good plan! Who's the next PP that we're drafting at 16?

Yes, PP was an excellent returner in his rookie season, but he wasn't a very good corner.
Ah, all of us with sense knows Peterson has been washed up & a liability for the past few years, but we should pay him anyway instead of going what we don’t know with a rookie.

Awesome.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The thing I'm most facinated by in this thread is that people are willing to toss $15-16 mil at Reddick, especially since the team has $13 mil in cap space and Chandler Jones to extend in 2022

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the thing. PP WILL hit free agency. But him and MANY other free agents are going to be shocked at the offers that come their way. The cap is dropping 18m this year. There aren’t too many teams that are in cap heaven.
Don’t be surprised if PP returns to the Cards after seeing what’s out there.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ah, all of us with sense knows Peterson has been washed up & a liability for the past few years, but we should pay him anyway instead of going what we don’t know with a rookie.

Awesome.

Who said Peterson is good, and who said pay him? He's the kind of guy you want around on a one year deal, because the rest of your corners are hot garbage. We need at least 2 and probably 3-4 corners.

Combine that with a weak CB FA class, and no obvious day one starters at 16, and maybe it makes sense to retain Peterson, if only for continuity.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who said Peterson is good, and who said pay him? He's the kind of guy you want around on a one year deal, because the rest of your corners are hot garbage. We need at least 2 and probably 3-4 corners.

Combine that with a weak CB FA class, and no obvious day one starters at 16, and maybe it makes sense to retain Peterson, if only for continuity.

at what cost? He was trash last year. How much do you pay trash for continuity sake?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I do think he leaves. Lots of good points in this thread. Seems likely someone will overpay him. While he is no longer a shutdown type he won’t be easy to replace, especially this year. Keim has waited too long. Peterson’s not great at this point but he’s still good. The Cards need another miracle trade. I wouldn’t be shocked to see them draft 2 corners and hope to get lucky. Recent analysis indicates even a good pass rush is not enough to obviate the need for good secondary play.

At least we should get a third in compensation.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
at what cost? He was trash last year. How much do you pay trash for continuity sake?

Again, I'm not arguing that he's not very good anymore. Unfortunately, we have NOTHING behind him. Byron Murphy will never be a #1 corner, and appears to be at best a nickel corner. That's it. We have nothing else, and will be relying on hitting gold in FA or the draft.

Keeping Peterson would be more a reflection of the awful alternatives than a vote of confidence.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not great considering our lack of quality at CB but I'm not surprised. I always expected P2 would want way more money than he is now worth. If there's one thing we know about P2 it's his own high opinion of himself. He was never signing for $12-13m. I wouldn't be surprised if he's asking for $18m.

The real story here is the lack of planning from Keim. He knew when P2's deal was up. Not drafting an outside corner in the past couple of years to bring through to replace him is shockingly bad roster management. Followed closely by not moving him on and getting something for him a year or two ago.
No, the real story is which paths talented players must walk, and what drives each player to choose whatever paths they might follow.

It's a fact of life that Patrick lost a step and saw his want-to reservoir dry up. But others before him have dealt with the realities of "growing old" in various ways - some more effective than others. The hope was that Patrick would mellow with age. The fear is that his caliber of play would begin to fall apart.

Looks like fear won out (& we need to spend more money and resources (& luck) on two can't-miss corners).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same. I’m just hoping this means they have money earmarked for Reddick.

someone earlier in the thread said they had no idea how they’d replace him. If he was still Pro Bowl pre-PED Peterson, I’d agree. But that’s who he was. The guy we’re actually replacing on the field production wise is an average cornerback who didn’t like play any run support and had diminishing returns from a leadership standpoint off the field as well with his suspension and trade demands. Memories of better times just die a little harder when you see the same jersey out there.

now, when Fitz calls it quits, that will
be a sad day. A necessary one unfortunately, but still sad.

What I mean is for much of the last 10 years a base part of our defense was you don't have to worry about the side of the field PP is covering. The last 2 years we played lots of zone and he was bad at that, but in man he was still the guy tracking the best Wr on the other team. He wasn't nearly as good as before, but he was still better at it than anybody else on the roster.

So now we have to replace him, and in the process either get someone good enough to continue to play that style, or we become more of a zone team. We can't play going forward the way we played in the past, unless we get someone who can do what PP used to do for us.

Any other CB on our roster would get destroyed if we just said ok you cover the best WR on the other team man the whole game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

someone earlier in the thread said they had no idea how they’d replace him. If he was still Pro Bowl pre-PED Peterson, I’d agree. But that’s who he was. The guy we’re actually replacing on the field production wise is an average cornerback who didn’t like play any run support and had diminishing returns from a leadership standpoint off the field as well with his suspension and trade demands. Memories of better times just die a little harder when you see the same jersey out there.

be a sad day. A necessary one unfortunately, but still sad.

The problem isn't replacing him as in his production; the problem is we need 2 starting corners and we have Steve Keim as our GM. We. Are. Doomed.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

be a sad day.
A necessary one unfortunately, but still sad.

not for me it’s time to put that horse out to pasture. Way past due.

it cracks me up when guys get emotional over players.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still don't know he regressed so badly returning punts
At the first year was phenomenal, then from 22 years old he couldn't do anything

it doesn’t take a genius to know they put him out there for his hands only. I’m not risking my all pro CB returning punts. That’s just not smart

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Can we change the title of this thread, given that it's just rumor dreck?

Unless this team can find someone in a trade to replace him, Peterson should remain on this team. I'm not going to rehash the argument with people who don't like him. I'll acknowledge he's lost a step but no one that is going to be available on the market is better. Franchise him or whatever and draft some guys.
. . . for the money he’s going to demand?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
They missed the boat by not trading PP when they could have gotten good return in the trade and it would be interesting to know why they never pulled the trigger on a trade, whether is was out of misplaced loyalty or emotions or whatever. I only hope the idea behind not trading PP was they thought they could compete for a championship with what they had at the time. Now the team is in a position that handcuffs them due to having so many needs and not enough draft picks or coin to fill the holes. Had they traded PP at least they would have had an additional high draft pick or two.

What crosses my mind is how the front office allowed themselves to get into the fix they are in now. Did they not realize how many FAs they were going to have come 2021 and how depleted the roster was going to be in terms of signed players? How could they not plan for that?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone here remember what our record was without PP two years ago when he was out 6 games?

3-3.

Anyone here remember what our record was with PP the last two years? 7-15-1.

Is he solely responsible for that? No. But the idea that the world ends if he's not on the team is just unfounded. The guy just makes almost zero impact on the field at this point.

Think of it this way... take your loyalties away and say you're a CB hungry team. Do you overpay for a washed up, post PEDs Peterson who's 31 years old and only getting older every year? Hell no. Just because he wore our jersey last year shouldn't mean we make the same mistake. Hell, we SAW what he was last year. This team more than any should know to move on and use that money he wants on a CB who can at least deliver some of what the money dictates it should.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it doesn’t take a genius to know they put him out there for his hands only. I’m not risking my all pro CB returning punts. That’s just not smart
Surely u can't risk one of your better players but in the few occasions they did need a big play from him he wasnt anywhere near the returner he was in college and his rookie year

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose