Rumor? The Cardinals and CB Patrick Peterson are parting ways

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's not great considering our lack of quality at CB but I'm not surprised. I always expected P2 would want way more money than he is now worth. If there's one thing we know about P2 it's his own high opinion of himself. He was never signing for $12-13m. I wouldn't be surprised if he's asking for $18m.

The real story here is the lack of planning from Keim. He knew when P2's deal was up. Not drafting an outside corner in the past couple of years to bring through to replace him is shockingly bad roster management. Followed closely by not moving him on and getting something for him a year or two ago.
Yup all of this. In my opinion just more dreck on keim.

sad day though. As much grief as I’ve given PP over the last couple years he was a stud cardinal. Wish he was more self-aware (though that’s never been a strong point of most pro athletes).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He was a team captain in 2020.
Tough to know what his leadership was like in the locker room but demanding a trade is never a good look from a leader. But you and I have very different perspectives on leadership.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most of us, if not all of us, knew it was inevitable that Patrick wouldn't be back. It was obvious to me by his inconsistent effort the past couple of seasons that a change in scenery was in order. His heart was definitely not in AZ once BA left. There will certainly be teams that will pony up the money to sign him. With the change in scenery, don't be surprised if Patrick squeezes out a couple more decent seasons elsewhere.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Most of us, if not all of us, knew it was inevitable that Patrick wouldn't be back. It was obvious to me by his inconsistent effort the past couple of seasons that a change in scenery was in order. His heart was definitely not in AZ once BA left. There will certainly be teams that will pony up the money to sign him. With the change in scenery, don't be surprised if Patrick squeezes out a couple more decent seasons elsewhere.
I could see this. I could even see him putting out effort in tackling for another team that won’t put up with his ballet.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i could see this. I could even see him landing in Tampa for a much lower deal than expected and playing well, motivated.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I wanted to trade him at the deadline last season. At least we could have gotten something for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the tough part of that was we just didn’t realize how pathetic of a collapse we were in for down the stretch. At the deadline we were still in major contention for the division.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Like Boldin, PP21 was never going to end his career w/ AZ. I do feel that the separation of the Cards and PP21 will be more amicable and I could see him signing one of those one-day contracts to retire a Cardinal.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
In his prime Peterson was an elite shut-down corner, who's man coverage skills were so good that he could get away with being averse to tackling and defending the edge. At present, I believe his coverage skills are average at best, if not below average. Definitely hope that we don't accommodate him with a $10-$15M per year contract. We can do better in free agency or the draft.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I’d pay that for Reddick before I’d pay it to keep a no longer juiced up PP.
I’d rather spend $9mil for Peterson. Not going into next season with Jace Whittaker as my #2 CB, even if the goal is to draft a CB round 1. Is also rather give Golden a modest extension in lieu of overpaying for Reddick. Can probably keep both PP and Golden for less than 15mil

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
At this point, Peterson is part of the problem, not the solution. How can you pay a cornerback with average at best coverage skills, who won't force the edge. He's just a liability for your defensive scheme. No way do I pay him $9M.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d pay that for Reddick before I’d pay it to keep a no longer juiced up PP.
Yea, imagine paying a truly washed up CB & has been for the past few years over an emerging pass-rusher. Can’t even call him a one hit wonder because he was finally put at position he should’ve been playing since he entered the NFL.

Actually scary that some think the opposite should happen.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d rather spend $9mil for Peterson. Not going into next season with Jace Whittaker as my #2 CB, even if the goal is to draft a CB round 1. Is also rather give Golden a modest extension in lieu of overpaying for Reddick. Can probably keep both PP and Golden for less than 15mil
Then to double down & throw money at a major liability in the run game while already being limited in the pass game in Golden.

Scary.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Can we change the title of this thread, given that it's just rumor dreck?

Unless this team can find someone in a trade to replace him, Peterson should remain on this team. I'm not going to rehash the argument with people who don't like him. I'll acknowledge he's lost a step but no one that is going to be available on the market is better. Franchise him or whatever and draft some guys.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yea, imagine paying a truly washed up CB & has been for the past few years over an emerging pass-rusher. Can’t even call him a one hit wonder because he was finally put at position he should’ve been playing since he entered the NFL.

Actually scary that some think the opposite should happen.

Again, have you seen our CB's? Do people honestly think we can run a rookie out there to be our #1 corner? In a team full of gaping holes, CB is probably our #1 need.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, have you seen our CB's? Do people honestly think we can run a rookie out there to be our #1 corner? In a team full of gaping holes, CB is probably our #1 need.
Why not? Has it not happened before? Recently?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Why not? Has it not happened before? Recently?

Just because something "can" happen, doesn't mean it's a good plan. When was the last time the Cards got even average performance from a rookie at CB?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not saying a rookie CB would or would not step on the field day 1 look good from the get-go, but some of you guys need to stop acting like it has never been done before. It’s tiring.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just because something "can" happen, doesn't mean it's a good plan. When was the last time the Cards got even average performance from a rookie at CB?
......probably the last one we drafted one in the 1st round? Which we’re in a good spot to do it again?