Adding a Little O-Line Help

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's fine. We just disagree. I help run a medical company that delivers oxygen to patients around the country and none of us have opted out despite the extreme risk to ourselves and our families. That is likely the source of my bias.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me, this is similar to equating football with war. We don't go to war with the Seahawks, we are playing a game.

Deciding to opt out playing a game because of health concerns from a virus we still don't know everything about that has killed hundreds of thousands of lives doesn't mean you aren't dedicated to the game. It just might mean you're more dedicated to your health, (short and/or long term) or your family maybe if you have a pregnant wife or a child with an autoimmune disease for examples.
How many athletes have died? How many have had to have been hospitalized? How many of their immediate family members have died? How many of them have had to be hospitalized?

Football isn’t safe lol. This is a 20 year old kid in peak physical condition. The sport is a million times more dangerous to him than covid.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many athletes have died? How many have had to have been hospitalized? How many of their immediate family members have died? How many of them have had to be hospitalized?

Football isn’t safe lol. This is a 20 year old kid in peak physical condition. The sport is a million times more dangerous to him than covid.

and? Maybe he has a 90 year old grandma at home. At the beginning of the year, we didn't know if football would be safe. Playing the game, an athlete could bring COVID home.

The lack of humanity is sickening...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He didn't know the answer to any of that when he chose to opt out in Sept. And the peak physical condition suggests you don't know anything about lineman in bigtime college and NFL football, the vast majority of them are playing 50 pounds or more above their peak healthy weight. they do all sorts of things to get that big, what they eat, the stuff they take(steroids etc) and none of that is good for their health they do it to compete at the highest level

Seems like an odd thing to do if you don't love the game

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The ONLY explanation ANYONE needs is "I didn't think it was safe." Expecting more in a pandemic is having unrealistic expectations, IMO.
It isn’t a “ game” it’s their chosen career.
I get up and go to work every day.... actually caught Covid twice....
But I got up again today to go to work...
And I don’t have a multi million dollar career

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It isn’t a “ game” it’s their chosen career.
I get up and go to work every day.... actually caught Covid twice....
But I got up again today to go to work...
And I don’t have a multi million dollar career

You do realize that there is a pause on their "multi million career' by not playing, right?

There are no game cheques!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The very first trait I would look for before drafting a player....

does he love football?

imo those who opted out really don’t... they might like it a lot but they don’t have the love for the game required to be a good pro
Man do I think this is an awful take. Maybe the worst take over seen on this board all year. It’s possible for a guy to love football more than anything else in the world and still be smart during a pandemic and to care about his fellow human beings.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As Oaken said, it would be a red flag about dedication. A good interview could dispel that preconception though
Health and safety of others isn’t a red flag to me. I think that’s really a crappy standard you’ve got there. You guys also remove players from your boards if they skip bowl games?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would but again a strong explanation could change that.
Seems a “strong explanation” is kind of obvious due to a pandemic that’s going to approach or exceed HALF A MILLION DEAD AMERICANS and countless others who will have perhaps permanent damage for god knows how many organs. Our 10 year old had it and was sick. But he recovered . . . but not fully. It’s a month later and he still has headaches. And we have no idea if something is going to be wrong long term. All bc people around him didn’t care enough to be safe. But yeah I hope these guys have a “strong explanation” for keeping themselves and others safe so y’all don’t have to hold it against them as they try to embark on their careers. Guess we should draft a dude who beats his girlfriend or kid but really loves football!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Agreed. Screw these gladiators! They must entertain us!!!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's fine. We just disagree. I help run a medical company that delivers oxygen to patients around the country and none of us have opted out despite the extreme risk to ourselves and our families. That is likely the source of my bias.

I get ya. And it's cool that you can recognize a bias--lots of people can't.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
and? Maybe he has a 90 year old grandma at home. At the beginning of the year, we didn't know if football would be safe. Playing the game, an athlete could bring COVID home.

The lack of humanity is sickening...
Except none of your hypotheticals are true and all of my points were, lol. I’m not judging him as a person, so stop crying about humanity. This is business and from a business perspective, it’s about dedication and production. He exhibited neither. Case closed.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Except none of your hypotheticals are true and all of my points were, lol. I’m not judging him as a person, so stop crying about humanity. This is business and from a business perspective, it’s about dedication and production. He exhibited neither. Case closed.

What a small-minded opinion. "Your points" weren't true beforehand; hindsight is very much 20-20. And you sooooooo didn't frame it as a "business perspective." You're exhibiting prejudice. Case closed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

College football is a business to the coaches and networks, not the players. that's why they sued to be allowed to benefit from it.

We have no idea why he opted out he never made it public other than to say he was going to focus on graduating and preparing for the NFL draft. Since HIS business is in fact the NFL, he made the decision to focus on business, finish up his degree and focus on getting in the best shape he could get in for the draft.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He didn't know the answer to any of that when he chose to opt out in Sept. And the peak physical condition suggests you don't know anything about lineman in bigtime college and NFL football, the vast majority of them are playing 50 pounds or more above their peak healthy weight. they do all sorts of things to get that big, what they eat, the stuff they take(steroids etc) and none of that is good for their health they do it to compete at the highest level

Seems like an odd thing to do if you don't love the game
Lol. Ok. The virus wasn’t a month old in September. The rates haven’t changed this entire time. I’m “essential” and have been out and about while not missing a single day of work this entire time. There are definitely people this is dangerous for. Healthy young men are not in that grouping and that’s been obvious since last spring. Trying to tell me he’s not heathy because he plays on the line is hysterical. I’m not saying he’s a bad person or a bad football player. I’m saying he doesn’t fit the mold of player I’d want on my team. You can dislike that all you like but it doesn’t disprove my reasoning one bit.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What a small-minded opinion. "Your points" weren't true beforehand; hindsight is very much 20-20. And you sooooooo didn't frame it as a "business perspective." You're exhibiting prejudice. Case closed.
So you’re now trying to make excuses as to why I’m right lol. I said the same thing back then. Go look it up if you like. God knows you don’t have better things to do with your time.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This thread is getting silly now.

There's no harm in opting out under the circumstances. Seems to me there are more opt outs towards the top of the board than lower down for the very obvious reason that if you feel you already have enough on tape and enough draft capital to still go high then why put yourself through a year of pain for free and risk getting hurt?

I'm sure many of these guys were advised by agents to sit the season out and not risk getting hurt while giving them more time to finish their degrees.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ouchie. Hoping and praying your son fully recovers.
Thanks. It’s scary when you’re dealing with the unknown. Luckily they’re not terrible headaches, like migraines. But it’s persistent and it’s not comfortable. Nothing I’d want anyone to have to experience at anytime much less beginning at 10 years. And not knowing if there’s worse in store because we see addition neurological issues coming to light in Covid patients. But yeah let’s keep banging the drum that it doesn’t impact younger healthy people.